It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:04

A Little Tote, A Sea Chest, and a Tutorial

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

A Little Tote, A Sea Chest, and a Tutorial

Postby Dave R » 15 Oct 2014, 12:59

The box joints on the first and dovetails on the second were created the same way using Vector Push/Pull. See the video here.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: A Little Tote, A Sea Chest, and a Tutorial

Postby Robert » 15 Oct 2014, 17:54

So... I looked at this and thought... uses a plugin which I won't have so there is not much I'm going to learn here. How wrong can you be :)

First thing I learned is there is such a thing as a guide point... not just a guide line. I paused the video to try it out. Think that one will be useful.

Then you copy a line, hit / for divide and enter a number and get multiple copies equally spaced over the copy distance. Guess I could have looked up how to do an array in sketchup but I might equally have just assumed it would be in the pro version as there is no icon for array.

Then came flip along. Something else I'd never done. If I wanted a copy to be reversed I've always used the scale tool and scaled it to -1 in the direction I needed. Flip looks easier.

Just when I thought that would be about it... I find out you can get back to the select tool at any time by hitting the spacebar!

It occurs to me that the plane view (not a solid) you had at around 5 minutes in could be copied along the axis and a solid created by drawing in the lines that would otherwise need a plugin to push pull off of the normal 90 deg.

Anyway, not a plugin I'll be buying/using but I learnt a lot by watching the video. Thanks Dave.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: A Little Tote, A Sea Chest, and a Tutorial

Postby Dave R » 15 Oct 2014, 18:43

Hi Robert, I'm happy you picked up so many things. You're right about copying the face and connecting it with lines to complete the 3D shape. Just make sure you correct the face orientation so there are no exposed back faces.

As for the plugin, there's no cost to it. It's a free plugin as most of them are.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools