It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:17

Paint bucket colour overlays

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Paint bucket colour overlays

Postby RogerS » 03 Nov 2014, 15:58

While trying to work out the floorboard distribution for the study floor, I drew a rectangle representing the room shape. I then created individual components representing the different length boards I have to play with and then moved them one by one onto the initial rectangle until the floor was 'finished'.

To help me lay them down, I thought I'd colour the various lengths with different colours but sometimes the colour of the room outline overrides the colour of the floorboard. I'm not really sure what is happening here. Surely if I move something on top of something else then the colour of the moved object should 'override' that of the object underneath ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Paint bucket colour overlays

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Nov 2014, 17:02

Have you got your faces inverted?

Also, I would set the floor as a layer then the boards as a separate layer, that was they don't interact.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 03 Nov 2014, 17:10

Mmm..nice idea but that doesn't seem to work for me. I have the basic floor area as Level0 and the floorboards on a separate layer. If I colour the basic floor area with a dark colour then it obliterates the floorboards.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Nov 2014, 17:15

That makes no sense as when you set the boards on top of the layer then there's no way the layer below should show though, unless you have tinkered with transparency…

Orrrrrr, are you setting the upper face of the board level with the upper face of the floor layer, in which case the darker colour will win. You need to ensure you are setting the lower face of the boards on the upper face of the floor.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 03 Nov 2014, 17:34

TrimTheKing wrote:....upper face of the floor layer, in which case the darker colour will win. You need to ensure you are setting the lower face of the boards on the upper face of the floor.

Cheers
Mark

Ah..that might explain it as I have no thickness on either.

EDIT: Yeah, that's it, thanks.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Nov 2014, 17:36

Bingo!

Thank me later :eusa-dance: ;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Dave R » 03 Nov 2014, 23:49

Good you got it sorted with Mark's help, Roger.

FWIW, what you were seeing is called Z-fighting. Or maybe you lot would call it Zed-fighting. It occurs when you have two faces in the same plane. The GPU in your computer can decide which one to show so it shows both and you get a sort of flashing as you orbit. Separating things as you did is one solution. Another one that you could use is to simply delete the face of the floor area.

I noticed your comment about using different layers. Make sure you follow the "rules" and keep all edges and faces on Layer 0. It's only components, groups (if you are dead set on using them ;) ) and text entities that should get associated with other layers.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools