It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:39

Trimble Towers Workshop - Fitting out begins...

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Trimble Towers Workshop Build - Nearly have a lid on...

Postby Pinch » 12 Mar 2017, 14:36

It looks like it's been there for years - lovely work. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Mike G » 12 Mar 2017, 15:05

Looking good Mark.

Just a tip, get your flashing above the lower roof sorted out now, before you do any slating, otherwise you'll be leaning all over the slates (and risk breaking them) in trying to do it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Mar 2017, 23:35

Evening all

Finally, despite it being Mother's Day and all that entails, I managed to find the time to do some work on site myself.

Anyone who's seen my other thread on my roofing lead challenge will know I wasn't happy with the proposal from my builder to use a cover flashing instead of soakers and step flashings on the abutment between the smaller roof section and the wall. Long story short, he's not here for a couple of weeks and after doing some obligatory Mum related stuff I decided seeing as the weather was a sunny and balmy 17 degrees that I would get on and give it a bash myself...

I took a lot of advice from friends and on here and despite some assurances that a cover flashing would be okay, past experience in our house across the road where one leaked badly and was replaced with soakers stayed with me so I'm going belt & braces...

Set up my tower to take a look then climbed up the battening on the rear roof and began removing slates to see how easy it would be to rip out a channel 2 slates wide to allow me to get the soakers in then head nail the slates back in.

Rather pleasingly the first couple at the top came out easy enough and before I knew it I was taking out the whole rake to do the job properly. It only took me just over an hour to pull off 34 slates and I only broke a single half slate which already seemed to have a weakness across the middle so well pleased with that.

I bought a slate ripper but didn't use it once! These bad boys which I haven't a clue where they came from but have had them in my toolbox for years came in very handy to work the nail head out then pincer them out. No nails lost and a single slate casualty, success in my book!

Take a moment to savour the view...

Just over an hour after starting here we are...

First soaker measured and fitted...

Then away we go...both sides and all edges given a wipe of patination oil for good luck...

And here's where I finished a couple of hours later. Light getting low and time to put kids to bed so I finished off with 3 soakers remaining, but Sod's law, only enough lead to make two more!!

Feeling thoroughly fulfilled now, and with a sore back!!

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 27 Mar 2017, 06:41

I had wanted to ask but never got around to it. I now understand what soakers are. The step flashings presumably will be cut into the brick work.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 27 Mar 2017, 07:04

Andyp wrote:I had wanted to ask but never got around to it. I now understand what soakers are. The step flashings presumably will be cut into the brick work.

I was going to ask my mate Google what soakers were.

The step flashings presumably then seal off the gap left by the soakers?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Mar 2017, 07:26

Hi both

Yep the step flashings then cut in and get sealed in with lead silicone. I could (maybe should) have raked out those joints with the slates off as Mike suggested but I wanted to get the soakers done to feel like I had achieved something, and plan to use the board of insulation lay on the top of the slates to spread the load when it comes to that.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 27 Mar 2017, 16:07

What stops the rainwater running sideways along the top of the soaker underneath the tile and then onto the roofing membrane ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Mar 2017, 16:10

RogerS wrote:What stops the rainwater running sideways along the top of the soaker underneath the tile and then onto the roofing membrane ?

Nothing I guess, but it's better than not having them there at all! The soakers are there to help with the water running down the wall and off the top of the slates against the wall and down the crack. All I know is, where we are is exposed and the previous house had a cover flashing which water blew under and made a mess in the room below, yet as soon as the roofer saw it and said it was wrong, replaced them with soakers, no more leaks…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Deejay » 28 Mar 2017, 10:09

RogerS wrote:What stops the rainwater running sideways along the top of the soaker underneath the tile and then onto the roofing membrane ?

Morning all

I've only ever done my own roofing so I'm happy to be corrected by any professionals out there, but this is how I see it working. Not a easy thing to explain, so apologies for the brackets.

Any water that gets from the step flashing onto the soaker under a slate will fall towards the gutter. It is not likely to go sideways unless the soaker is fitted with a slope down away from the wall. When it reaches the bottom edge of the soaker, it falls onto the slating of the roof and then down into the gutter.

In the unlikely event that any water getting onto the horizontal part of the soaker (i.e. in the plane of the roof) does get across to the far (from the wall) edge of the soaker, it may drop into the gap (perpendicular to the ridge) between two slates. If it does, it drops onto the middle of the slate beneath it and gravity takes it down to the gutter, before it can reach the edges of the slate. The courses of eaves slates under the lowest full slate are there to maintain this feature.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby Paul200 » 28 Mar 2017, 12:15

Very nice build and interesting info on leadwork. As a southern jessie relatively new to Scotland it took me a while to work out how the lead flashing works on Scottish slate roofs.

The side of the lead running below the slates is rolled upwards and back on itself towards the wall forming a channel, so any water finding it's way in runs straight to the gutter. When done properly it looks very neat and tidy but, as our local community centre has revealed, when an old roof starts to get tired and flexes downwards the water simply runs over the lead roll and into the building below. I think I prefer the southern method!
Paul200
Seedling

Postby Mike G » 28 Mar 2017, 13:33

That last photo is a sort-of open secret gutter. It's a nice neat detail.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Paul200 » 28 Mar 2017, 14:51

Mike G wrote:That last photo is a sort-of open secret gutter. It's a nice neat detail.

Ah - secret gutter. Not knowing what it was called that photo was the best I could find Mike but it's not the best example. The slates are usually much tighter to the wall or abutment. It does look tidy but I think I prefer the belt and braces of soakers and flashing.
Paul200
Seedling

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Apr 2017, 00:07

Topsy turvy couple of weeks with work and builder availability but the past 5 days have started moving quickly.

My Polish fella's have a number of jobs on and as per our agreement (basically I spent so long di£&king around with which parts I was doing he had to take other jobs) the Gaffer was fitting mine in between. It was going to be another 4 weeks before he could come back and finish the roof so when another recommended roofer (coincidentally also Polish and also called Darius (Darek appears to be an alternative)) came to price up putting in a couple of Velux's into the kids bedroom ceilings I got him to price up finishing getting my lid on.

Price came in acceptable so I checking in with my guy to make sure he wouldn't have his nose put out of joint then went ahead.

He turned up on time last Friday to start the Velux work and after a bit of an issue with the flashing had finished these two in the day...

Tilly's room...

Barney's room...

Needless to say I was impressed and happy with his work and he cracked on with the workshop.

After two days of work split across 3 days, plus me painting the rafter feet (1 coat of aluminium primer, one coat of white primer then 2 topcoats, over 4 days due to 16 hours overpainting time) here's a few shots over the past few days and up to where we are at the end of today...

And those bloody rafter feet that have taken me around 8 hours of painting time thus far, trying to ensure that they are cut in reasonably neatly and also the endgrain soaked as much as possible...

He's back to finish the leadwork, ridge, pointing of ridge and verges and gutters tomorrow so hopefully by this time tomorrow all major structural work will be done!

After that it's on me to insulate (and possibly but not yet decided whether I will) board the ceiling, joists for the small end 'loft' space, electrics (alarm, data, ring main and lighting) and painting.

Won't be long now folks...

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 13 Apr 2017, 06:52

Those velux windows can really make a difference. For weeks after having one fitted we kept walking past the bedroom thinking somone had left a light on. :)

Great progress on the workshop.
yeah right :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Apr 2017, 07:42

Andyp wrote:Those velux windows can really make a difference. For weeks after having one fitted we kept walking past the bedroom thinking somone had left a light on. :)
Yep exactly what we've been doing!

Andyp wrote:Great progress on the workshop.
yeah right :D

Haha, I set that one up just for you, nice to see you didn't let me down!

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby DaveL » 13 Apr 2017, 07:51

Good progress, you will need to sort out the door and the other windows next.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Apr 2017, 07:57

DaveL wrote:Good progress, you will need to sort out the door and the other windows next.

Windows will happen in a couple of weeks mate. Starting on the 19th we are having all the doors and windows in the house replaced with Aluminium (well actually Warmcore) and there are two windows in the kids' playroom that are still in great condition so the Workshop apertures have been sized to take those windows.

The doors I am designing now and will make myself in the 'shop. Need to get it alarmed first though which will come ASAP when me and my pal sort the electrics.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 13 Apr 2017, 08:22

How are they going to access the ridge to put the ridge tiles on?

I'm sure everyone knows by now that I am a fan of Bedec water-based paints, and that I would have used Bedec Barn paint or Multi-Surface Paint for those rafter feet.......and never had to worry about repainting them. Every roof I build with exposed rafter feet I promise myself that I'll paint the feet before finishing the walls etc. Every time....... :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Trimble Towers Workshop Build - Nearly have a lid on...

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Apr 2017, 08:24

Mike G wrote:How are they going to access the ridge to put the ridge tiles on?

Haven't a clue Mike, but he arrived at 07:30 so he is finishing the lead while his mate is currently pointing the verges so I imagine I'll find out about the ridge soon enough...

Mike G wrote:I'm sure everyone knows by now that I am a fan of Bedec water-based paints, and that I would have used Bedec Barn paint or Multi-Surface Paint for those rafter feet.......and never had to worry about repainting them. Every roof I build with exposed rafter feet I promise myself that I'll paint the feet before finishing the walls etc. Every time....... :lol:

Yep and I would have looked at that had I not already bought the Crown stuff that we had colour matched for the front gates, , also colour matched to our new windows, to do the rest of the woodwork in...

Not to worry, I'll call it my penance for having procrastinated for so long over so much of this build...

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Apr 2017, 10:18

Damn and blast!!! I was hoping I was catching you up!!

Looking proper good!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Apr 2017, 10:22

Malc2098 wrote:Damn and blast!!! I was hoping I was catching you up!!

Looking proper good!

Thanks Malc

I would have to do some serious procrastination from this point in for you to be catching me. I'd have to hand in my man credentials if I allowed that to happen!!

Hopefully they wrap up today then I will pull down all the scaffolds and clean up the site and we can get a proper look at how it will sit in the garden. I think it looks okay though and my mate reckons the notched out section helps to give it enough visual interest to make it look less imposing so I think it is okay.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Rod » 13 Apr 2017, 10:51

Looking good - you'll soon have no excuse for not making stuff!

What are you going to do with the walls?

Did you need Building Regs for the Velux? When my daughter had them fitted during some alterations, they insisted they were accessible as fire escapes and they had to build steps to them.
In one bedroom they allowed a tiny door to be built to allow escape to the adjoining room.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Apr 2017, 10:54

Rod wrote:Looking good - you'll soon have no excuse for not making stuff!

Did you need Building Regs for the Velux? When my daughter had them fitted during some alterations, they insisted they were accessible as fire escapes and they had to build steps to them.
In one bedroom they allowed a tiny door to be built to allow escape to the adjoining room.

Rod

Cheers Rod

Oh the chances of me getting in there once it's built are as narrow as the odds on me having done it all myself by last Christmas, but that's a different battle...!

Re regs for the Velux's, I might have...erm...forgotten to mention it to anyone...

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 13 Apr 2017, 11:24

Rod wrote:Looking good - you'll soon have no excuse for not making stuff!

Rod

Every "habitable" room needs a (single)secondary means of escape to the outside, Rod. If there isn't a convenient external door, then a window is allocated that role. If it happens to be a window in the roof, then so be it, but it has to fall within all sorts of criteria to be considered an escape window. So it is the room which determines whether a rooflight becomes a means of escape, rather than all rooflights having to be means of escape. Your daughter's alterations are what necessitated using a rooflight for this purpose, and if the rooms she created or altered had an alternative means of escape then the rooflights wouldn't have had to take on this role.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Apr 2017, 23:22

Roofer arrived at 07:30 to crack on and by 3pm here we were...

I've tidied up the front facade a bit, the blue tarp hides the 'garden' electrical box because the weatherproof box has lost some of its weatherprooofedness...

I've got a little bit of pointing to finish between the undercloaking to fill in some small gaps and then the external physical work the building is done.

Plan is to dig some beds in front under the windows to grow something up the walls to soften them a bit and to lay the path around the front from the left to the bridge over the pond.

Windows should go in in about 3 weeks and my sparky mate will be round in between to help me sort the electrics and alarm out then I can move machines in.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds