It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:14

Storage shed build

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Storage shed build

Postby Robert » 22 May 2017, 23:06

Ok so this is not an example of best practice but it will do the job and is similar to the way I built my own shed 12 years ago and its still standing with no problems.

I'll be honest and say now the reason for not making a 'proper' base is simply that I couldn't face the effort it would require to make foundations and low wall to build on. My home shed is on such a base but this one at my daughters place is on plastic shed base stuff from B+Q.

Plastic grid stuff laid out to size. Cheapskated a bit by not buying another pack to make the middle continuous. dropped the offcuts in instead.

The patio is on a slight slope for drainage so I tapered the timber that sits on the plastic in 2 directions to end up with a level floor.

The new shed is going where the old one was but is significantly bigger. you can see the old shed on the right where I dragged it to. it is rotting in various places but not that bad at ground level considering it has always sat straight on the floor.

OSB screwed to the timbers. No fixings to the grid or the floor - it is just going to sit there. neighbours trees completely hide it from their view so not worried about being close to the fence.

Then I kind of forgot to take pictures for a while...

I made a side then fixed it in place after brown timber treatment applied to the outside only. The sides fix to a corner post and the floor with screws.

Top of corner post notched for roof rafters.

And the bottom notched to sit over the floor corner

3 sides done and starting to think about the roof. The window came from ebay for a few pounds. Once the stain is on (need to give my daughter at least one job to do) it will not look too out of place.

I bought a similar colour door on ebay too but the seller has messed me about and now I'm back to looking again. Don't want to make something as I want a door fit for a cabin rather than a shed and complete with lock and frame so it is easy. So that's the reason for roof before wall - no door yet.

Roof is tomorrows job. it will overhang to the boundary line to restrict leaves falling down between shed and fence. If the trees ever got cut down and someone complained I guess the whole thing could be dragged away from the fence :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: Storage shed build

Postby Mike G » 23 May 2017, 07:08

That's fine for a store shed, Robert. Ten times better than the flimsy things most people are stuck with, with 2x1 framing if they're lucky.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 23 May 2017, 07:23

Hazar another shed build. It looks like it will be a nice one

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Phil » 23 May 2017, 07:23

That looks good Robert.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Malc2098 » 23 May 2017, 10:14

Nice one!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 23 May 2017, 10:33

Nice job - what's happening to the old shed?
I reused the old doors (and ship lap) on my shed rebuild.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 23 May 2017, 16:31

The old shed will be broken up and taken to the dump. The tongue and groove cladding has been nailed with wire nails and there are huge holes where the heads are punched in so the cladding is not recoverable.

Been doing fiddly bits today so it doesn't look much. Cutting rafters, cutting cladding to shape etc.

More of the same tomorrow.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 23 May 2017, 17:07

Must be nice to work outside with the sun on your back.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 May 2017, 22:04

Very nice Robert.

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Robert » 24 May 2017, 16:11

Fortunately I've only got the sun on my back until midday. After that it's behind the trees.

Got all the roof timbers in place and started on framing the front allowing plenty of space for whatever door I end up with.

When I did the two large panels the weather was showery and the tongue and groove cladding wood was damp.
Now it has dried out it has shrunk and there are 2mm gaps where the boards had been touching when built.

This seemed like a good thing to me as when the weather makes the boards swell again they have movement room.
With that in mind I've watered the offcuts I'll be using on the front and wrapped them in a tarp for the night thinking they may grow a bit in width :)

Might get more OSB for the roof tomorrow.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 24 May 2017, 17:08

Sneaky!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 24 May 2017, 18:06

If you are working tomorrow I think that the shade will be welcome.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 25 May 2017, 18:15

Not much progress today but I got 2 roof boards on.

What delayed me was my daughters combi boiler. It packed up last night as she was in the middle of dyeing her hair :)
After a panic phone call and bringing her back here to finish the process I looked at the boiler when I took her back but it was just playing dead with no lights on.
Today with no pressure Googled the problem and common cause was burnt corner on circuit board.

No burning but there was a bad joint in the corner.

Resoldered and I'm a hero.

Funny thing is boiler is really old and Monday I arranged for replacement quotes. Told the engineers no rush as it still works. Famous last words. Anyway working again for now.

1st quote in yesterday was £3200 inc for a Vaillant 832 and fitting.

So back to the shed...

What a difference a couple of roof panels makes to stability. I've kept diagonal braces on the walls so it stays square but standing on an offcut clamped to the rafters I could feel some wobble.
Once the board was screwed down the roof became rock solid.

might get the felt tomorrow.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 25 May 2017, 22:37

Is that for just the replacement boiler - it sounds a lot!?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 26 May 2017, 08:18

Rod wrote:Is that for just the replacement boiler - it sounds a lot!?

Rod

Boiler, new pipe run because old one is in 15mm and new boilers need 22, Magnaclean and installation. £2625 + vat = £3162. London prices I guess.

Still waiting on 2nd quote.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 26 May 2017, 10:33

Yes I'd get two or three quotes.
Had similar, about 5yrs ago, but a Condensing Vaillant, Magnaclean and new pump etc. for £2k

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 26 May 2017, 20:11

Spent an unreasonable amount of time just filling in the missing bits of the roof. I recut offcuts of the 3x2 CLS I used for the framing to bridge the panel join line. may not have been necessary but i know the joint will stay lined up now. problem was being in 2 places at once to fit them - position below and screw above. got there in the end with the help of some crude wedges.

Then roof felt

Cut it into 4 pieces and almost fitted 2.... then I got bored with sticking my head into privet hedge to knock in clout nails so I went home :)

On the plus side I got a cheaper boiler quote if no VAT to add. Awaiting reply to query on that.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 26 May 2017, 20:45

With the space available Robert why build the shed that way? A 90 degree turn would surely leave enough room to be able to service the fence and prune the hedge. As is surely the hedge is likely to damage the roof.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 26 May 2017, 22:02

Things used on that patio would be stored in the shed so opening up towards the patio will work best.
There is privet hedge against the fence and the trees just behind. The privet fronds are not damaging when they grow. Bit of luck the shed will help suppress growth by blocking light. the roofline is virtually on the boundary so rubbish from the trees should end up back in the garden it came from on 2 sides.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 02 Jun 2017, 17:12

So I got the felting finished

And finally got a door from ebay. Not the one I wanted but as I had to get something this will do. Outward opening brown doors are actually a very rare thing on ebay if you don't want to travel stupid distances. This one has more glass than I wanted but it has a nice action and secure locking. given the glass in the door the small window just looked wrong so that has gone.

I did some lining on the inside with 11mm OSB. Got the back and solid side fitted.

Bought some more 4x2 so I could finish the door frame and then got some framing done for the last of the cladding. And then it started with thunderstorms so i gave up and went home.

Oh and my web host was playing up a few minutes ago so I hope the pictures show ok. Seems to be working here now. Must be a bad time of year for pictures online.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Jun 2017, 18:20

Coming along nicely, Robert.

I've got no problems viewing photos.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Robert » 04 Jun 2017, 20:01

Finished off the cladding today and as my helper (daughter) disappeared on me I ended up putting on the preserver myself. Window frame looking a bit bright now. can't be helped it is only a shed.

Still some internal stuff to do, put the glass in the window and think about running some power to it for lights etc.

getting there...
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 04 Jun 2017, 20:06

Not the biggest but certainly the fastest shed build we have seen :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Jun 2017, 11:40

Looks good to me, is it finished now...?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Robert » 28 Jun 2017, 22:52

Yes finished construction but not got round to adding any electrics. no rush for that.

Oh and the boiler mentioned earlier has been replaced now as well at a cost of £2700 including a nest smart thermostat she can operate from her phone.
Robert
Old Oak

Return to Workshop Builds