It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:26

wizer's Workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: wizer's Workshop

Postby Hully » 19 Feb 2018, 12:57

Hi Wizer

I had the same quandary with mine and ended up spacing the centers wider than 600mm to fit the insulation. The knock on effect was that I had to then buy way more sheathing and plasterboard as the odd spacing didn't correlate with the standard panel sizes.

In hindsight I'd have spaced the centers on 600mm and cut the insulation. You'll save time (takes less time to cut just the insulation than cutting all the sheathing and plasterboard) and money (you'll be buying less sheathing and plasterboard).

Cheers
Hully
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby wizer » 19 Feb 2018, 13:39

I'm glad it's not just me.

I see your point about making the sheathing line up. But isn't insulation more expensive than OSB? i.e am I not wasting more money in insulation off cuts than OSB off cuts? To a degree, I can re-use OSB for other things, but 45mm insulation off cuts aren't much use elsewhere?
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 Feb 2018, 14:10

Tom, you'll always get more out of each board if you turn the board horizontally and cut them that way. So each section of wall will have 600 high pieces of insulation. You can put expanding foam in any gaps.

Don't let the tail wag the dog. 645 centres is too much, and will stuff up your internal boarding. You can do 600 centres for the studs, but not more, but locate them to suit your cladding, and cut the insulation as I suggested above. I don't like to see it "jigsawed" together in a house, but for a workshop, it's no problem at all.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Feb 2018, 15:04

And, by cutting it horizontally, if you feel the need for a dwang half way up the wall then you have your place to locate it....just on top of the insulation .
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Deejay » 19 Feb 2018, 17:44

Afternoon Tom

What are you using as a lining inside your workshop?

If you plan on OSB, don't forget that it comes in different sizes which are 8' X 4' (2440 X 1220) and 2400 x 1200 mm.

I'd suggest sourcing the lining boards and use the appropriate centres for you studding.

Cut your insulation to fit.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 19 Feb 2018, 20:33

I'd always work from the dimensions of the sheathing. Be aware this might be 1200 or 1220 wide and normally you leave a nails width gap between sheets say 2mm.
Many BMs are quite lax about their sheet sizes and what you get is not always what you order so stick to your guns and be there when it is delivered to check. Both cutting 20mm off every sheet and "stretching" sheets by 20mm is a pita.
Cutting insulation sheets down is normal practise and the trimmings can usually be fitted into other locations.

hth

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 19 Feb 2018, 21:18

My total area of PIR offcuts came to about 1 sheet.

My local recycling centre charges £3.60 per sheet for disposal.

Waste normally has to be factored into any job, so my waste came to the cost of one sheet (at seconds prices), and the disposal fee, which I thought in total was not bad.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby wizer » 21 Feb 2018, 10:50

Thanks guys. Makes sense. Measured the OSB and it's 1200

I'm laid up with my back this week (first time in a few years, so can't complain). So I'm trying to focus on getting everything ready, design wise, to start framing in a couple of weeks.

I'm very much torn on the dwarf wall idea. Part of me wants to learn brick laying, but part of me feels it's holding me back from starting.

Being that I'm going for 5x2 timber now ( have ended up paying less than 4x2's), will bedding the sole plate on standard house bricks be an issue? i.e the sole plate will be wider than the bricks.

Also, am I bonkers to consider doing away with the bricks and just building directly on the slab?
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 21 Feb 2018, 11:10

wizer wrote:
Also, am I bonkers to consider doing away with the bricks and just building directly on the slab?

Yes totally. You will take significant % years off the life of the building by not having a few courses of bricks.

Bricklaying to this degree is really easy. Start round the back so if it is a bit messy no one will see it and by the time you are round the front you will wonder what the fuss was about.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 21 Feb 2018, 11:11

What Bob said.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wizer » 21 Feb 2018, 11:27

Good to know I'm bonkers :lol:

What about the 5inch timber on top of bricks issue? Is it just a case of overhanging on the inside of the brick and leveling it in the mortar?

Am I right in saying I've got to wait for weather consistently over 2 degrees night/day before I can lay brick.

The weather scare mongers are saying we're in for a freeze fest for a couple of weeks :shock:
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Feb 2018, 11:33

Wizer,

I've never really done any proper bricklaying before and I've managed to lay 3 courses as the plinth for my 'shop, as well as some blocks. It doesn't look pretty, but it does the job.

I borrowed a concrete mixer, but found that in winter with short days, it was easier to mix just enough on one of those plastic mixing boards with less to clean up at the end of the day.

I had a mate who came in from time to time, and if he did the mixing in the mixer, I did the laying, and he cleaned up the mixer, I still laid the same number of bricks as if I mixed on the bard and cleaned up after me.

The trick is to get the mix right, with the right amount of plasticiser to make it really workable.

You will be able to do it, because the alternative, timber on concrete, just isn't viable.

BTW, I've never done any frame building, roof building, floor insulating etc etc before, but it's all part of the challenge and enjoyment of making your own cave.

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Feb 2018, 11:35

Weather/Temperature - Yes, I think so.

My back wouldn't let me lay bricks every day, but I planned the laying for days over 5 degrees last winter.

I had a permanent tab open on my desktop of the Met office for my town.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 21 Feb 2018, 11:35

wizer wrote:Thanks guys. Makes sense. Measured the OSB and it's 1200

I'm laid up with my back this week (first time in a few years, so can't complain). So I'm trying to focus on getting everything ready, design wise, to start framing in a couple of weeks.

I'm very much torn on the dwarf wall idea. Part of me wants to learn brick laying, but part of me feels it's holding me back from starting.

Being that I'm going for 5x2 timber now ( have ended up paying less than 4x2's), will bedding the sole plate on standard house bricks be an issue? i.e the sole plate will be wider than the bricks.

Put the overhang on the inside, Tom. It looks dreadful on the outside and you'll regret it forever. Inside you could line out the plinth with 25 insulation (or whatever fits), and bring your lining board down over this to floor level.

You MUST put it on a plinth. Get the mortar right and bricklaying is easy. Hell, if you weren't so far away I'd come and show you how.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 21 Feb 2018, 11:42

Here’s some info

https://www.labcwarranty.co.uk/blog/how ... -and-rain/

Most times you can get away with laying during the day when temps are ok and protect overnight but looking at the weather forecast it’s showing a max of 4C during some days in the next couple of weeks. Not good for mortar I’m afraid.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wizer » 21 Feb 2018, 11:48

Thank you.

I have a mixer (FIL bought one on a wim 2yrs ago and never used it) and a lackie (hopes Anita doesn't read this :eusa-shifty: )

I had the same thought of insulating the inside of the brick. That sounds like a good option. I'm buying a load of 20mm for the floating floor, so good use of offcuts.

ok, talked me around. :? :lol:

Next query. When running my internal cabling, should this go up under the noggins @ 1200 up from the ground? I guess, answering my own question, that's about right for where I want outlets and won't interfere too much with insulation. Do I need to sheild it/conduit?
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Feb 2018, 12:20

I'd run cabling on the surface, Tom. That way you can extend, add to, re-arrange, whatever, at will. It's a workshop, not a house. You can put it in trunking, but I didn't even bother to do that. Buried in the wall means you have to get it right first time, and you are always going to worry when fixing things to the wall.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wizer » 21 Feb 2018, 12:30

Good plan. Will do that
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby will1983 » 21 Feb 2018, 18:26

You could do like Frank Howarth did and incorporate a 12" wide horizontal strip in your internal boarding that hides all your electrics. I think his was about 4' up from the floor and secured with screws.

This would still allow you to access it in the future but keeps it away from any harm that may occur. (I'm a clumsy bugger so always whacking things with the ends of boards and it would be just my luck it would be something important I hit!)
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby wizer » 21 Feb 2018, 18:38

will1983 wrote:You could do like Frank Howarth

Funnily enough my question was sparked by his latest video that shows that.

I think I prefer the idea of it being surface mount. As Mike says, it makes it much easier to reconfigure. I may or may not put it in conduit, or indeed make my own 'trunking'.
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Feb 2018, 18:53

wizer wrote:.....

I think I prefer the idea of it being surface mount. .....

:text-+1: I think that idea of 'burying' the cables like that is more trouble than it's worth.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Feb 2018, 20:36

I had two goes at surface mounting my electrics. You will still need to take account of where you expect to hang cupboards.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby paulrees1 » 22 Feb 2018, 06:35

Wizer just a thought from my brick laying for a dwarf wall greenhouse. A cenent mixer can mix a LOT of cement, which puts the pressure on, and is a bit painful to clean up at the end of your session.

So my solution (tip from a bricklayer) was one of those big buckets end a paddle mixer from screwfix. You can mix enough for about ten bricks which would take me an hour to lay at the start, and it's a doddle to clear up.

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
paulrees1
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Feb 2018, 10:05

paulrees1 wrote:Wizer just a thought from my brick laying for a dwarf wall greenhouse. A cenent mixer can mix a LOT of cement, which puts the pressure on, and is a bit painful to clean up at the end of your session.

So my solution (tip from a bricklayer) was one of those big buckets end a paddle mixer from screwfix. You can mix enough for about ten bricks which would take me an hour to lay at the start, and it's a doddle to clear up.

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

:text-+1:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 22 Feb 2018, 10:11

paulrees1 wrote:..... and is a bit painful to clean up at the end of your session.

Eh? Couple of buckets of water, some old broken bricks, turn it on, make a cup of tea, drink the tea, tip out the mixer.

Job done !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds