It is currently 08 Aug 2020, 18:03

Pete's Workshop Build

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Pete's Workshop Build

Postby Peteh » 01 Aug 2020, 09:39

A busy few days during which time the concrete has more or less dried out after last weeks downpours which turned the base into a paddling pool.

The thermalite blocks seem to take the longest to dry out and whilst removing some internal OSB sheathing I noitice the wood was damp on the block-facing edge. Appreciate this wood is fairly water replusing but decided to slip a 300mm vertical section of Damp Proof course vertically between sheathing and the blocks around the circumference of the structure.

Since I didn't want major water problems again, with the help of the good lady we pretty much wrapped the building in membrane yesterday and will unpin it to put the insulation in place and to finish it off properly.

Save for the gable ends and extra membrane at the roof edges, this is looking much more water tight.

IMG_20200731_171641.jpg
(439.16 KiB)

The fold at the bottom of the membrane is a temporary feature whilst we work out the hospital corners on the DPC, it allows us to get the square shape.
Peteh
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 01 Aug 2020, 09:44

Coming on nicely Pete!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Sequoia

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Aug 2020, 10:03

9fingers wrote:Coming on nicely Pete!

Bob

:text-+1:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Old Oak

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 01 Aug 2020, 10:30

Indeed,
Nice greenhouse too.
cheers

Andy
“Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits...” A.A. Milne

Doing my best to achieve Wabi Sabi
Andyp
Sequoia

Name: Andy

Postby Peteh » 03 Aug 2020, 07:44

I have a question on insulation for the roof.

I note on Mike's shed build he used Glass fibre and filled the whole 6 inch cavity without an air gap, also sealing the eaves with the wooden contraptions.

Yet on Malc's build he was very careful to leave a 50mm air gap.

Anyone care to speculate why the difference or otherwise?

And any advice for me? I'm looking at a metal coated tile like sheeting (similar to what Malc used) which will sit on battens on top of breather membrane.

I may of course have now answered my own question in that perhaps the battens provide the required air gap...
Peteh
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Aug 2020, 09:15

Peter,

If I've understood all the technical stuff I had to learn, the metal roof will get hot and cold at various times, so whatever is underneath it will have some air and so some moisture in it. So that air needs to ventilate. If it doesn't, any moisture will stay on the timber and precipitate its rotting.

The insulation underneath will also have an effect on any air above it.

If I recall on mine, the insulation stopped 25 mm (ish) below the top of the rafters, and I put a 25 mm roofing batten across the rafters creating a 50mm gap.

I also ensured that the air could travel up and over the ridge and also along the roof from one end to the other.

Hope that helps.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Old Oak

Name: Malcolm

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds