It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:38

Tez's Workshop Build

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Tez's Workshop Build

Postby tabs » 27 Apr 2015, 22:10

Having finally emptied the old shed and found temporary refuge for all its contents(in loft, in my Old Tranny, on the patio under tarpaulins, and under a temporary cobled together 8x3 lean to) I dismantled it last week and have spent the last few days sorting the wood from it and burning the rubbish - I am now ready to start excavating for the base - ah good old manual labour as I can't get anything into back garden!

Just wondering at the moment about the base construction, depth of concrete , reinforcement?,whether to try to get it as smooth as possible (never done it before), whether it needs a hardcore subbase etc, how much do I add on to length and width compared to size of workshop? Whats the normal procedure for the average workshop in this forum?( Any recommendations I can read up construction methods for base?)

Also after a few weeks of good weather they are now forecasting the return of winter!!

The adventure begins!! :cry: :eusa-think:
tabs
New Shoots

Name: Tez

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby tracerman » 27 Apr 2015, 23:25

Tez - my only comments are regarding your proposed floor , rather than the structure of the workshop itself .
If you ever acquire ( or already have) VERY heavy machines such as mortisers , band saws , sawbench etc , you need concrete . You don't want the floor to bend . Also , the surface must be dead level and smooth , as construction of furniture will be need a level surface . Even if you cover the concrete with a wooden floor , you need a reliably dead level base .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby StevieB » 28 Apr 2015, 09:33

Mike is probably best placed to answer this, but for me the following sufficed:

100mm type 1 scalpings, well tamped down
Blind with sharp sand (not yellow builders sand)
DPM
(optional insulation - jabalite, celotex or similar, 100mm depth)
100-150mm concrete to finish approx 75mm higher than surrounding ground (add reinforcing mesh if required)
(optional 2 rows of bricks on concrete pad as a plinth)
workshop on bricks

Concrete needs to be tamped to level. Easiest way to do this is to use wooden shuttering leveled all round and then with a bit of 2x4 longer than the narrow dimension of the base, use the wooden shuttering as a tamping guide.

There are a variety of other methods (strip foundations, piles, pads, even simple patio slabs etc) and each has there pro's and con's depending on cost, time, ground conditions and likely structure going on top!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Apr 2015, 09:41

Mike G might need a guinea pig for his latest idea.....

Mike G wrote:Ooooh, TWO more possible workshop builds! :eusa-dance: Any help I can give will be a pleasure. You'll find my recent build as a sticky in the WIP section of the forum. Since then, I have developed an idea for building smaller workshops without a concrete base, and yet avoiding the usual problems with timber bases.

Welcome, BTW.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 28 Apr 2015, 09:48

With regard to whether floors are perfectly level or smooth, they don't have to be as many cabinet makers I know make a separate platform off the ground on which to build up items and it is this that is perfectly level/smooth. Usually demountable until the next project.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2015, 14:21

tabs wrote:......Just wondering at the moment about the base construction, depth of concrete , reinforcement?,whether to try to get it as smooth as possible (never done it before), whether it needs a hardcore subbase etc, how much do I add on to length and width compared to size of workshop? Whats the normal procedure for the average workshop in this forum?( Any recommendations I can read up construction methods for base?)....

How big is you planned workshop?

Typing is hard, so replies are restricted ATM, but check out my build here:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=198
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby tabs » 28 Apr 2015, 14:28

Yes I've been following your workshop thread (and your extension) with great interest- lots of useful info which I'm sure I will be going back to read a few times.

I'm in negotiations with the swmbo to maybe pinch a bit more off the garden but as is the plot I am already allowed is 5.5m by 3.5m but I think I need to take a metre off both those dimensions cos thats right up the the boundary in the bottom corner of the garden.

Hope you're healing well.
Last edited by tabs on 28 Apr 2015, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
tabs
New Shoots

Postby StevieB » 28 Apr 2015, 14:40

Depending on your neighbours, enough space to walk round is helpful for painting/treating the back of the shop, but 1m is probably excessive unless once is circumferentially challenged :D

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby tabs » 28 Apr 2015, 14:44

Lol

Thanks for info on foundations Steve - I just wondering in view of all the digging and shifting I'll have to do for a slab foundation how the price of strip footings etc and those precast concrete t beams would compare?
tabs
New Shoots

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Apr 2015, 15:02

Mike G wrote:Ooooh, TWO more possible workshop builds! :eusa-dance: Any help I can give will be a pleasure. You'll find my recent build as a sticky in the WIP section of the forum. Since then, I have developed an idea for building smaller workshops without a concrete base, and yet avoiding the usual problems with timber bases.

Welcome, BTW.

On brilliant, I mean abosolutely brilliant! I spend two months digging out a pit to make a base to 'Mike-spec', throw in more steel than they used to build Blackpool Tower (due to close proximity of trees) and now he comes up with an idea for a timber base :x .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2015, 15:06

For much smaller sheds than yours, Terry. ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Apr 2015, 15:24

tabs wrote:Yes I've been following your workshop thread (and your extension) with great interest- lots of useful info which I'm sure I will be going back to read a few times.

I'm in negotiations with the swmbo to maybe pinch a bit more off the garden but as is the plot I am already allowed is 5.5m by 3.5m but I think I need to take a metre off both those dimensions cos thats right up the the boundary in the bottom corner of the garden.

Hope you're healing well.

How high are you going? If less than 2.5m you are OK right up to boundary, if over that within 2m of the boundary you'll need planning consent. If the ground is sloping you can 'steal' some height if you dig down into any slope as the 2.5m is from the highest point of "natural" ground level next to the workshop.

At 5.5m x 3.5m, assuming that is external dimensions and you will have walls 100mm thick all around then is that an internal floor area of c.17.5m2. Within 1.0m of the boundary if you are over 15.0m2you are into having to get building regulations approval and to secure that you will need to build something that is considered adequately "non-combustable" by your local building regulations people.

I would suggest staying 1.01m from the boundary and a maximum height of 2.49m ;) .

In terms of the base I had 100 - 150mm of hardcore and then about 50mm of sand to blind. DPM and steel and then between 150 and 300mm of concrete - but I built directly next to two very big oaks, so it was a bit belt and braces with the concrete getting thicker the closer I got to the trees. Unfortunately the thread I worte on the first part of my build was lost to the IT fairies who took it away, and it was never seen again, so I can't point you to that. But it did take me a long time to dig out for the foundations by hand, but then I am a soft office dweller during the week so not used to hard work and I was constantly stopping to hack out a giant root, so hopefully your task will be much quicker.

Looking forward to seeing how things go.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Apr 2015, 15:29

tracerman wrote:...Also , the surface must be dead level and smooth , as construction of furniture will be need a level surface . Even if you cover the concrete with a wooden floor , you need a reliably dead level base .

Steve

My emphasis.

Oh God I do hope not; there was no way I got my base millimetre perfect :oops: . I thought that was what levelling feet were for ;) .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 28 Apr 2015, 15:37

Is there an issue re fire-proofing if you get close to a boundary or is that a neighbouring building on the boundary line? I know Steve Maskery over on UKW had a problem with his but maybe it was because his workshop is the size of an aircraft hangar.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Apr 2015, 16:06

RogerS wrote:Is there an issue re fire-proofing if you get close to a boundary or is that a neighbouring building on the boundary line? I know Steve Maskery over on UKW had a problem with his but maybe it was because his workshop is the size of an aircraft hangar.

The fireproofing requirement kicks in at 15m2 if you are within 1m of the boundary, so yes Steve M was a country mile beyond what he could ever have been for the construction he originally intended. If I recall when Steve first confessed this was an issue he said something about the BCO thinking it was going to be clad in brick, how the heck Steve said "wood" and the BCO heard "brick" I guess we'll never know :lol: . Steve has so far only aluded to how this will be resolved but I think it is going to be an unwelcome and potentially significant additional cost, I get the distinct impression it is a topic he would prefer not to discuss in any detail.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2015, 16:17

There is a cementitious board available (Eternit is one brand) which looks like wood but isn't, and is suitable as a fire-resistant wall treatment on a boundary. He'll probably use something like that, I imagine.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Apr 2015, 16:28

tabs wrote:Lol

Thanks for info on foundations Steve - I just wondering in view of all the digging and shifting I'll have to do for a slab foundation how the price of strip footings etc and those precast concrete t beams would compare?

My gut feel is that unless there are particularly awkward access problems, that ready mixed concrete solid slab will be cheaper than small quantities of beam and block flooring. The latter is fairly competitive if you are taking a whole wagon load of the beams but the price can soar if you only want a few. You still have to screed the beam & block whereas you can power float the concrete slab to a finish acceptable for a workshop.

I'll be watching with interest - we like workshop build threads!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Apr 2015, 16:47

9fingers wrote:
tabs wrote:Lol

My gut feel is that unless there are particularly awkward access problems, that ready mixed concrete solid slab will be cheaper than small quantities of beam and block flooring. The latter is fairly competitive if you are taking a whole wagon load of the beams but the price can soar if you only want a few. You still have to screed the beam & block whereas you can power float the concrete slab to a finish acceptable for a workshop.

I'll be watching with interest - we like workshop build threads!

Bob

Although don't forget the cost of getting the concrete from truck to hole. You mention it has to be dug by hand as there is an access restriction, will that also restrict some form of dumper truck that could be used to move the concrete? I would not expect barrowing by hand would be a job you want to take on even if it is possible (and depending on the distance / how fast you can run with a barrow full of concrete the waiting times may make that uneconomic anyway). It can be pumped (which is what I ended up doing) but it just adds more to the cost.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Apr 2015, 17:38

Fwiw, my 'shop has been up well over ten years now and uses a completely suspended wooden floor...no concrete anywhere. I had to brace it better a couple of years ago but there's some relatively heavy kit supported on it. Jet 260 p/t and a heavy Startrite b/s as well as lot's of timber and a very heavy workbench - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby tabs » 07 Sep 2017, 14:11

Well after a rather long incubation my shed project is on the move!

So after Cutting down really big privit hedges and digging out the roots I fenced the bottom of the garden and started replacing the panels down the side. In the following pictures you can see the state of some the old panels - even though I kept them painted every couple of years with water based presrvative they didn't last well! I have started coating the new panels with Creaocote as I couldn't get hold of Creosote but I suspect even the Creocote will be better than the water based coatings.
tabs
New Shoots

Postby tabs » 07 Sep 2017, 14:17

IMG_20160801_133051.jpg
(617.67 KiB)

Here and in the next photo is the corner of the garden designated for the shed, new fence at the bottom and new panels at the side. Next step digging out and hardgaroe and sand
tabs
New Shoots

Postby tabs » 07 Sep 2017, 14:20

IMG_20160801_133105.jpg
(645.14 KiB)
tabs
New Shoots

Postby tabs » 07 Sep 2017, 14:43

IMG_20170404_174717.jpg
(566.11 KiB)

Electric supply for shed. I will be replacing this with wider diamete trunking so I can maybe get extra cabling in
tabs
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 07 Sep 2017, 14:58

Consider two conduits. A second for phone/intercom and ethernet. PC in the workshop useful for showing design information and cut lists etc.
Maybe water too for a sink? Handy to dampen cloths for glue up and brush cleaning. You can always cheat with the drainage to a small hidden soakaway but I never said that!

So much easier to do now than as a retrofit
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby tabs » 07 Sep 2017, 15:25

Thanks I only thought about that after putting in what you can see in the picture but it wasn'ttoo late so I've used some drainpipe so as to provide larger access for some cat5e cable and maybe some 15 mm speedfit flexible pipe.
tabs
New Shoots

Next

Return to Workshop Builds