It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:08

Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Postby Dan0741 » 11 Nov 2015, 14:46

Today I have mostly been foaming!

I had a go last week with a standard can and plastic pipe dispenser with the following (appalling) results....

I took the good advice from those who had trod this path before and purchased a foam gun...£15 quid well spent...

and had another go with the following results....

Another lesson learnt!

I have now insulated and foamed half the walls and am waiting for it to go off and then will put the Membrane on those bits.

I have had a go with the membrane on a small area and it seems to be ok to install, the darkness prevented a photo last week so here we are...

Much smarter with its coat on! :D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Mike G » 11 Nov 2015, 21:38

Oooh........that looks toasty!!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 12 Nov 2015, 12:13

Just some photos I couldn't take last night, membrane on all outside walls now...

I have also put some 4x2 rails on Just to try to mitigate the weather forecast for Friday - Go gently on me Abigail! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Wizard9999 » 12 Nov 2015, 13:21

Green walls, green roof, surely this is the finished look now in order to keep the neighbour happy :lol: .

Looking good!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Dan0741 » 12 Nov 2015, 21:15

Wait till I get a red roof on it! ;)
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Andyp » 18 Nov 2015, 09:53

Abigail and now Barney have passed though now are you still in one piece up there?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rob » 18 Nov 2015, 12:27

That's a fair sized Tarp you've got there Dan :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 18 Nov 2015, 12:40

No rain today, down here but still very windy.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 18 Nov 2015, 18:40

Miraculously we are in one piece! The Kids Trampoline turned over and broke, and two tiles off the roof but Dan's Shed is standing proudly with Tarp and walls intact....More luck than judgement I think! But it makes me think I need to get a move on and get the roof on now as I can feel my luck running out! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 18 Nov 2015, 20:20

Well, here's a tip, Dan. Don't try to do the roofing membrane alone on even a breezy day, let alone a windy one. If you do, make sure you have someone video it, because it will be one of the funnier things on YouTube.

Obviously you can't batten until you have your chosen tiles/ slates/ whatever on site, and roofing membrane doesn't go well with temporary ("fly") battens, because the nail holes leak badly once you take the battens away. When you do batten, don't nail into the last rafter (ie edge of roof), and don't knock the nail home in the next rafter in. That will help no end when it comes to doing your undercloak. Make sure you've got a stapler with plenty of staples loaded, and cut your membrane to length down on the ground (you'll need some weights to hold it down). In other words, get all your ducks in a row before you start, and then wait for a calm day.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 18 Nov 2015, 22:21

Yup - Im all good with that, I did the membrane on the walls in a gale when it was getting dark, and made a mental note to never start unwinding membrane whilst it was windy ever again! I have gone for 1m width membrane on the roof, instead of the 1.5m I used on the walls just to make it a bit more manageable on my own...albeit I realise it will take longer.

Quick question - Placing the battens, I understand the theory etc, but actually installing them as you move up the roof is it just a trainers job and tread carefully on the bits you have done as you move towards the apex or is there a more scientific method I should be using so as not to tread on the already installed membrane potentially causing damage?
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 18 Nov 2015, 23:35

You'll fix the first few feet of battens from the scaffold or ladder/s, but then once you can't reach properly any more, the battens become your ladder. This is one good reason to be very careful with where you place big knots, for instance, because you don't want them to break under your feet. Remember, 1-1/2" battens for most tiles, 2" for slates. On a straight roof like yours you can walk everywhere. The weak points are usually in valleys (which you don't have), where a whole lot of rubbish collects, and where you'll walk up and down dozens and dozens of times, wearing out the fabric.

If you keep your roof clear of debris, pick up dropped nails, and just take a little care where you put your feet, your fabric will be 100%.

As for what you wear on your feet.......I prefer a lightweight flexible shoe, rather than a boot, but some roofers do actually wear boots. Beware that if there is mud on the ground and you work from a ladder, you will end up with mud on the battens, and this can become very slippery indeed when wet. Just take sensible precautions.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 18 Nov 2015, 23:51

Thanks Mike - good advice - Insulation; and then I'm getting on with it! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 20 Nov 2015, 18:35

Ladies and Gents - Gutters. Given my roof is a straightforward gabled roof I have been thinking about gutters. I wont need any guttering on each end and I will basically end up with two gutters parallel to each other front and rear. I would like to store the water that comes off the roof for garden use etc. I have a plan for storing the water, and that will be placed behind the shed as I have a 2m PD gap behind.

The gutter on the rear is straightforward as the downpipe will go straight into the trough/IBC.

My question relates to the front guttering, I clearly need to move water from front to rear, but does one normally do that with a circuit of guttering along one side, to feed into rear downpipe, or does one install a front downpipe at an angle across the side to link to the rear down pipe via some nifty angles etc? The total length of guttering will be about 13 meters front and rear...or am I missing something really obvious? :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 20 Nov 2015, 19:59

Depends a bit on your water store. If for example you are going to link a number of barrels together with pipes, you could arrange a barrel on each corner with a downpipe straight in and the rest connected by pipes.
Any sort of diagonal pipe going from side to side won't look too pretty but if it is in your PD gap then does it really matter?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Dan0741 » 20 Nov 2015, 20:10

Cheers Bob, I was going to go with two IBC and a 500 gallon trough, these will be out of sight behind the shed. My quandary is how to get water to rear from front gutter?
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 20 Nov 2015, 20:14

Dan0741 wrote:Cheers Bob, I was going to go with two IBC and a 500 gallon trough, these will be out of sight behind the shed. My quandary is how to get water to rear from front gutter?

So I presume your definition of "behind" is one of the long sides then?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Dan0741 » 20 Nov 2015, 21:46

Bob, yes the front aspect has the small door in it and the rear is opposite that wall. As I said, I will effectively end up with two guttering runs one back and one front. My issue is getting the water in the appropriate fashion from front to back along the wall in the photo below with the sun shining on it? I just want to make sure its as neat as I can make it. I could put the water from the front straight into the soakaway out front, which would be no problem, but seems a shame to waste it?

Dan0741
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 20 Nov 2015, 21:58

OK understood Dan.
The problem with gutter pipe fittings is that the only branches for linking pipes is a 112.5 degree one.
This would normally dictate the angle of the cross pipe. But using two close coupled 92.5 bends at the in end of a near horizontal run and a 92.5 bend running into a 112.5 branch, you can link the two gutter runs in a way that looks reasonable.

hth

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 21 Nov 2015, 00:48

Most water butts come with overflow connecting pipes - I used to use 3 flowing one into the other.
The downside is in prolonged dry weather 3 butts didn't last very long and then my wife heard on Gardens Question Time that stored water gets full of bugs and microbes which are not good for plants and gardens.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 21 Nov 2015, 09:56

Rod wrote:Most water butts come with overflow connecting pipes - I used to use 3 flowing one into the other.
The downside is in prolonged dry weather 3 butts didn't last very long and then my wife heard on Gardens Question Time that stored water gets full of bugs and microbes which are not good for plants and gardens.

Rod

...and is the number one source of Mosquitos in most gardens.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Andyp » 21 Nov 2015, 11:54

To keep the mosies down leave them uncovered and chuck a few fish in.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dan0741 » 22 Nov 2015, 20:02

Bob - Thanks - will have a go at that.

Fish! Like it....

So bit of an update.

I thought this would make some of you smile - I promised myself that I would measure twice etc and not make the same mistake... but in the very last sheet I did this. Its eminently resolvable, and in the loft so wont see it. But I did certainly smile to myself!

The roof is fully boarded now and I have left good gaps so warping shouldn't be too much of an issue..

The loft end...

and the raised roof end...

So I got her naked, (without Tarp) and did a few jobs that I need to do before insulating the roof.

The first one being a couple of anchor points so I can lift stuff within the shop, I have found these useful previously but am very careful not to put anything of any substantial weight on it, I used to use them for swinging a dinghy round and raising into the roof.

I wanted to strengthen the ridge, so bolted on a couple of sheets of aluminium, then cut a hole straight through.

I have cut a motorbike security chain up and bought some galvanised shackles that are affixed on the inside.

I have put one of these each end of the shed - except the loft area so I have an anchor point at each end. I had to cut a small hole for the chain through the OSB and that's not fun with a jigsaw on the top in the cold!

So once done I could get on with the insulating... and the boon is I got it all free. The rest is a pain, it needs cutting to size and its horrible dusty stuff when cut.

I have got halfway across the front aspect of the roof, and foamed around them to secure and plug any air leaks, but was too dark for photos.

I did make a few over squirt errors with the foam, so I have not yet put the tarp back on, need to wait for it to dry and then will pull back into place. I'm not looking forward to that job before I go to bed! :D

I saw a step last week that I want to try to recreate with some left over bricks, just want to do the top circular step on this photo.

Its certainly not as much fun when its cold! :o
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Rod » 22 Nov 2015, 21:03

They look like they are shaped?
Hope your bricks are frost resistant?
I did some paving with some so called engineering bricks which spalled badly after a few years
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 22 Nov 2015, 21:14

Yes, and cutting them would be a chore, but looks good I think. The moss even adds something to it I recon. The spalling issue - I have it on good authority that these haven't ever spalled, but It wouldn't be a big drama, I would chop it out and do something else.
Dan0741
Sapling

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds