It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:42

Dave's Shed project (progress)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Dave's Shed project (progress)

Postby Jimmy Mack » 15 Mar 2017, 23:23

TrimTheKing wrote:Looking good mate. Always annoying when things like that happen but think 2 years down the line when you whacked it with timber going in, projects coming out etc if will be more scuffed than that, you've just added some early wear and tear

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I totally agree with Trim...to think of all the care I put in ...and I've already knocked lumps out of the walls and doors I like to think of it as its naturally patina...rustico...shabby chic...character property

Nice solid looking doors Dave, every dent tells a story

What's next?

Jim

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 16 Mar 2017, 22:58

Jimmy Mack wrote:every dent tells a story

What's next?

Jim

Yeah, doors are just the latest chapter of "this was your life"

Next up is a final gloss coat on each door, door hardware on, door fascia fitted and internal partition built. From there it's just moving in really! Sounds easy but the paint takes 48hrs to cure outside so still a time consuming task..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 17 Mar 2017, 11:55

The door does look nice and solid but have you insulated it in anyway? I've noticed that many of the workshops on here are well insulated, double glazed windows etc and then the door is added with no insulation! Seems a little odd to me!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 17 Mar 2017, 20:19

Halo Jones wrote:The door does look nice and solid but have you insulated it in anyway? I've noticed that many of the workshops on here are well insulated, double glazed windows etc and then the door is added with no insulation! Seems a little odd to me!

No insulation as such, but 33mm solid timber and I'll be fitting upvc door seal round the door facings so hopefully not too draughty. Fair comment though, I looked at the doors and considered how to insulate but they are so heavy I don't think the hinges could take much more!
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Dave's Shed project (Moving in!)

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 17 Apr 2017, 20:52

Hello folks,

Sorry, been another epic radio silence session since the last update in March. I'm happy to say that Project Shed has reached practical completion status :)

I still have electrics to do, but that’s not a priority right now with the light nights extending beautifully into the evening now (Do you all love Spring as much as i do?)

So, to recap from where i left off -I’d suffered a setback with my gloss painted doors falling all over the place inside and denting them. I tweaked the design and continued painting. I gave up with the 3rd coat of gloss on them and thought the finish was good to find a bristle right where the door lock would be on the outside face :evil: With the advice from earlier ringing in my ears though I thought enough was enough and earmarked a Saturday to get the doors hung.

Naturally, it took ALL day to get the locks fitted and the doors hung, but they look pretty good IMO. As with everything else on the project they are totally overspecced, but they look nice, work well and save ugly bolts through my lovely doors :)

You can just see in that pic that there are larch boards in there for door stops. I had a ton of larch left over so milled some to 100mm wide, rebated a small channel in one edge and fitted some UPVC door seal to help stop the worst of the elements making its way into the shed. It works really well and even with the worst of the rain we've seen there's barely a few drops make it through. It also helps insulate and stops the doors vibrating in their frames, which is good. The advantage with the nightlatch locks is if you've closed the door, its locked and they are a lot less hassle (and prettier) then Brenton bolts and padlocks.

I have to say, having a secure building for the first time in a year felt like a pretty special moment. I'd overcome all of the challenges I’d foreseen and a few i hadn't, so I knew the final push would be relatively easy. The partition went up in an afternoon after I’d finally decided where it would go. I added an extra 300mm to the store side to accommodate 1800mm shelving i had my eye on for storage. I'm quite glad i did, because as you'll see the space is almost full to bursting!

So, using the ever-trusty laser to get the top and bottom partition battens plumb:

no further pictures but it’s a pretty boring 18mm OSB partition. A few coats of cheap emulsion and it was basically done. I ordered some racking off of the web and built it up - fitting the space at the back perfectly. Naturally, i arbitrarily decided where the shelves would go height wise and promptly found it was just too shallow for my chop saw, so out came the mallet to reconfigure the bottom shelf right down. Luckily, not too much effort. Here's a pic of the racks in the space, before i filled it with cr@p:

and the space now dutifully filled to overflowing:

With the new shed starting to fulfil its destiny, i gave the old shed a coat of stain before emptying the last of the junk out (for an 8*6 i had some amount of stuff in it!) and put it up for sale.
Image I felt almost emotional on Sunday as it came apart for the first time in a decade and was transported away, leaving the garden looking bare, but also not unlike a bombsite :)

So, with mixed feelings i think it’s time for me to echo the words of old Winston:

It’s been just over a year since i broke ground on this project (here's where i was a year ago today :))
and probably more than 18 months since i first starting thinking seriously about it. I have really enjoyed the experience of planning, designing and building my own shed and I’m glad to say I’m happy with the result :lol:

It goes without saying that the experience has been made immeasurably better by the advice, encouragement and banter from this forum. I honestly don’t think i could have done it as well without you. When I look back through the early days of the thread I’m heartened to see not just how the building has developed, but how I've developed too. I'm certainly more confident when it comes to woodworking and tools and wouldn't hesitate to undertake a project like this again (albeit I’d definitely do some things differently :P )

So, as a gesture of thanks on behalf of all at TWH2 who've commented on the thread, provided invaluable guidance, assistance and encouragement and given me a kick when I've needed it I'm going to donate 1/3 of the proceeds of the sale of my old shed (£50) to charity. I'd love to hear your suggestions if you have any charities that are close to your hearts and we can agree something for a payment to be made at the end of this month.

Cheers

David
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 17 Apr 2017, 23:27

Well done - great achievement.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 18 Apr 2017, 07:45

Great post, Dave, and nice photos too. It would be nice to see a couple of over-views of the whole building. You must be so pleased and proud, and I congratulate you.

As for charities, how about the Woodlands Trust or the RSPB? The former because your shed build has had an impact on a woodland, somewhere (that may well have been a positive impact, BTW). The latter because, well, we all like birds. :D
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Apr 2017, 09:13

Excellent Dave

As Mike says, a few shots of the finished article in situ please.

Glad you found the forum to be of help as that's why it was set up originally and what we've tried to keep going in the second iteration.

Look forward to seeing projects aplenty now...

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Apr 2017, 10:09

Well done, Dave.

Me, too! Mine is just coming out of the ground and I must echo your thoughts about all the input from members of this forum and the confidence it gives guys like us.

Any cancer charity, Dave. There's been so much of it affecting people I know and love this year, including on this forum.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 20 Apr 2017, 20:03

Thanks all for your kind words and charity suggestions. I think a 50/50 split to the woodland trust (good idea and hadn't considered it) and a donation to Bowel Cancer UK ( I hadn't realised just how many people on here had been affected by cancer in some way :( ) unless anyone has any strong views?

I had hoped for a lovely evening glow to set off the building in all its golden glory, but alas its slightly overcast. At least its not raining..

on second thoughts looking at the downpipe i know at least one job to do :)

Landscaping and groundworks are now definitely the order of the day!
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Apr 2017, 20:12

Looks good Dave. Have you got a bit of larch to add under the window? Looks a little strange in that area

Cheers
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 20 Apr 2017, 20:16

9fingers wrote:Looks good Dave. Have you got a bit of larch to add under the window? Looks a little strange in that area

I had hummed and hawed about that at the time because it does look a bit disjointed. I made a nice window sill and detail to fill the gap, but it does look out of place. I'm sure I could find a suitable piece to slot in there - I have about 30 lengths left over still so if i can't find a suitable donor piece i must be doing something wrong!
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Apr 2017, 20:32

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! :lol:

Perhaps a new board running from door to door with a piece cut out for the window?

With double hindsight, setting out the boards so that one edge coincided with the window cill might have worked.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Jimmy Mack » 20 Apr 2017, 20:34

Dave, that looks smashing with bags of character... top man for giving a bit back too. Looking forward to seeing the interior come together with comforts and toys... then some creations to earn her keep.

Cheers,

Jim

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 20 Apr 2017, 20:36

It's only a matter of taste. I think it's fine like that, although I might have ripped down the topmost boards on the short sides so that the laps remained approx. the same as the rest. Unimportant.......

So, have you got it kitted out inside yet, or is it one giant off-cut store?!! :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Apr 2017, 07:03

Great result David. I bet you are well pleased.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Apr 2017, 09:12

Nice, Dave.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Apr 2017, 12:04

Looks lovely Dave, top job, bet you're well pleased.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MattS » 27 Apr 2017, 22:10

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread. You should be very proud the shed looks blooming marvellous, very impressive build :eusa-clap:
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 30 Apr 2017, 08:34

MattS wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed this thread. You should be very proud the shed looks blooming marvellous, very impressive build :eusa-clap:

Thanks Matt / all for your comments. I am very happy with the end result, it looks like how I envisioned it when I started. There's definitely bits I'd change (full slab / brickwork) instead of the concrete lintels but overall it's solid and looks nice :)

As an aside both donations made too to thank the forum members for their support. Not that I expect anyone was looking for confirmation, but here it is :)

My OH has worryingly started talking about moving though, so may end up having to do it all again!

Not looking forward to finding a replacement wife though...

never threaten a mans shed
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Apr 2017, 10:07

Well done, Ole Son!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 30 Apr 2017, 19:57

ScotlandtheDave wrote:.......My OH has worryingly started talking about moving though, so may end up having to do it all again!.......

Bigger! 29.99 sq m, next time. :D
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds