It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:55

Dave's Shed project (progress)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Dave's Shed project (Cedral cladding complete)

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 27 Nov 2016, 21:18

Hi all,

Sorry, it’s been a while since i last posted an update, but things have moved on here, albeit slowly. I've had comments from a few people now along the lines of "you're still building that shed?" but they just don’t understand, man :lol:

Anyway. Last time I’d left you I’d forgotten to put the insect mesh on the side below the cedral. Helpfully, almost 40% of the screws I’d used to install it snapped at the head on removal and at least 4 snapped again when trying to remove the shank. I really wouldn't recommend the TurboGold stainless screws, a very frustrating product indeed!

Anyway, not a huge amount of pictures because daylight is a constant challenge and it’s not actually very interesting :) but a shot from our local green space of some larch trees to show how pretty this time of year is, with all that lovely low light...

So, an obligatory shot to show i did actually install the insect mesh...

Also, once I’d removed the previous attempt i spent an inordinate amount of time measuring and levelling to ensure the cladding ran in parallel lines along the building. I'm not entirely sure what i got wrong, but even the laser level was confounded by the back corner, where the cladding was a few mm below the corner piece. I couldn't be bothered trying to resolve it all because the other three sides looked good enough, so on it went. I had to buy some fibreboard jigsaw cutters to do the cut-out pieces under the door frames, but the laminate cutter was the star of the show. Best 20 quid I’ve spent so far.

So, last Friday i got some larch of my own :)

probably far more than i need but I’m not a QS (and unlikely to get a job as one :lol: ) and the sawmill were not too forthcoming with advice. Still, i have plans to make a bin store for our ever-growing collection of waste bins, so it will get used. Its lovely stuff though.

Some finished shots of the cement board cladding and the larch corner posts in place. They do look meaty, but the cladding will come almost to the face, so should look a bit more proportionate soon. I'm hoping the walls can take the weight...

the cladding is officially coloured "C18 slate grey" but it looks quite blue / purple in these pics. It does look nice against the larch though in its current colour. Note the ripped strip of larch for the kicker for the bottom board, might as well use it up. I could perhaps have been a bit more inventive with the interface between the cement board corner and the post corner, but again time is of the essence now as daylight and weekends are at a premium. We'll see what it looks like when it’s all on.

A slightly skew-whiff butt joint because of a dodgy jigsaw cut, but will be hidden by the door step

It’s not the nicest stuff to work with, but hopefully it will still be looking ok many years after timber in a similar proximity to the ground would have rotted away.

Next step is a full weekend shift to get as much cladding on as possible, then start thinking about doors! I recently bought a new router and cutting bits, so rebated edges will abound in the next pics 8-)

On a final note, it’s great to see more workshop builds getting off the ground (Mark, Malc) so following with interest and feeling your pain about building at this time of year!

Frozen fingers signing off for now.
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Dave's Shed project (progress)

Postby Dan0741 » 27 Nov 2016, 21:46

Looking Good Dave, the larch looks fantastic, both that on the ground and the ones standing! :D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Nov 2016, 23:03

Can't wait to see that larch hanging!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Jimmy Mack » 03 Dec 2016, 19:50

Yes, I agree the Larch look great, you're going to enjoy fixing it up. How are you fixing BTW...Stainless steel brads or screws? (Ideally with a SS friendly driver bit)

Looking for to it.

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Dave's Shed project (cladding)

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 06 Dec 2016, 21:24

Jimmy Mack wrote:Yes, I agree the Larch look great, you're going to enjoy fixing it up. How are you fixing BTW...Stainless steel brads or screws? (Ideally with a SS friendly driver bit)

Hi Jim / all, Thanks for the comments, i do think it looks fab on the deck and even better in place!

A few pics to surprise and delight:

Firstly, using offcuts to make my kicker board - easier to use than wedges. I have literally a shed load anyway.

The first few boards installed. Definitely a bit weird trying to work with stuff that's purposefully not square, but quite easy and quick to install once we had the formula worked out.

I thought about board spacing perhaps a little late on this side, as it’s a bit "bunched" at the top, but not terribly noticeable I’d say:

They also don’t stick out too far beyond the corner post until the very top, which is good. scribing the top board to fit into the joist spaces took ages, but worth it to get a solid piece in there.

Here's the method i used to ensure the screws from the board above didn't hit the board below. Essentially line up the laser and whack the board on, pilot drill at the battens and screw in using 60mm SS screws (my driver bit seems quite SS friendly Jim :))

a couple of finished shots. I knew it would be next to impossible to line up perfectly across all the edges, so didn't really bother. I kept the number of boards even though (or odd, there are 9 :))

More work needed this weekend, I’ve got both sides done and would like to get the front face done this weekend, as I’m away on training next week and will have few opportunities between now and the end of the year
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Dec 2016, 21:26

Tasty!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Dan0741 » 06 Dec 2016, 21:38

Nice work Dave. Thats something I never considered with waney edge. I used sawn edges so working out the spacing and level was easy. What approach did you use, an imaginary bottom line drawn on the board or the center of the board maybe? :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 06 Dec 2016, 21:39

Is it just my set up or are these picture incredibly slow to load?

I know the forum software and dropbox photo hosting don't get on

but this host livefilestore.com is a new one on me?????

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Jimmy Mack » 07 Dec 2016, 00:57

9fingers wrote:Is it just my set up or are these picture incredibly slow to load?

I know the forum software and dropbox photo hosting don't get on

but this host livefilestore.com is a new one on me?????

Bob

Ok here bob...

but we do have a 51 mbps :eusa-dance:
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 07 Dec 2016, 01:00

Looks great Dave, tidy work. I used the laser too on the cladding...pretty much for every board, so useful (unless it's sunny :lol: )

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Dec 2016, 21:31

Looks great!! Don't forget your insect mesh at the eaves... ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 22 Jan 2017, 01:06

I have just done a mamouth 10 page read through in one sitting.Your work looks really good and I hope that I will be able to make my planned shed/workshop look half as good. Well done that man
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 22 Jan 2017, 17:31

I have just done a mamouth 10 page read through in one sitting.Your work looks really good and I hope that I will be able to make my planned shed/workshop look half as good. Well done that man

Thanks Tim, welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you enjoyed the thread, that must have been some sitting to read all my posts in one go :)

I've not made a lot of progress since Christmas really, with the weather being a bit variable. The shed has survived its first bout of high winds and snow though and its still standing :) The cladding is basically complete, just the window reveal and door facings to do. The window is looking great, but not 100% finished, so will post some pics when its complete. Here's a pic of the frontage though. I'm really happy with the finish and the top board wasn't as much faff to cut around the roof joists as i thought it might be..

My electrician chum was round today, so we're shortly going to get the wiring plumbed in to make the shed live, then once the doors are on and the partition is up i'll decide on placement of lights and sockets. Then thats basically it! I've pencilled in an opening date of 18th March (a year to the day since the project broke ground), so pressure's on a bit to get finished.

So, next task is to get some doors built. I've decided they will open inwards, so looking at the various options i have and will trawl the other threads for some inspiration.

Great to see a number of other builds progressing too, despite the time of year!

Hopefully more to report soon. Cheers, David

EDIT - 2 things to add.
1. I wont get a job as an estimator any time soon. I have enough Larch to basically do the shed again :) Going to use some to make a wheelie bin store, for our growing collection of bins, then try and flog the rest.

2. I have probably 15m of 230mm Stainless steel insect mesh that i'd be happy to donate to an upcoming project inc free postage. First come first served. A bit of Pay it Forward to say thanks to the forum for all the advice and encouragement!
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 22 Jan 2017, 19:57

I really like that cladding Dave, the un-uniformity of it floats my boat.

Nice of you to offer the insect mesh. Could I ask that you post it up in the For Sale section.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jan 2017, 00:41

Looks good Dave, and here's to it being finished!

I will take that insect mesh off your hands, and happy to pay for it or make a donation to a charity of your choice.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 23 Jan 2017, 23:22

Andyp wrote:I really like that cladding Dave, the un-uniformity of it floats my boat.

Nice of you to offer the insect mesh. Could I ask that you post it up in the For Sale section.

Thanks Andy, I'm really pleased with the finish too. Considering my obsession with angles etc I have surprised myself at how relaxed I was with fitting.

I didn't get round to posting in the FS section before Mark offered to take the mesh, so assuming it's not breaking any forum rules it's yours Mark. Pm me your address and I'll get it sorted out this week. In terms of PIF you don't need to make a donation but if you want to make a small donation to a worthy cause in your area I'd be more than happy with that.
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Jan 2017, 15:35

ScotlandtheDave wrote:...In terms of PIF you don't need to make a donation but if you want to make a small donation to a worthy cause in your area I'd be more than happy with that.

Thanks Dave, will PM you.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Re: Dave's Shed project (revealing things)

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 01 Feb 2017, 21:37

Hi all,

Firstly, sorry Mark, not sure i saw a PM from you? Let em know your details and i'll get that mesh sent your way.

So last weekend saw me making some window reveals, which i spent far too long on really. My first attempts were OK, but a bit rubbish when i stood back (too many gaps and didn't look right), so i ripped it all off and started again. Usual story, 95% faffing with 5% pure effort in 20% of the time yields the best results. Here's the window as it stands now, much happier with it :)

conscious that it is fresh sawn timber, so might see a bit of shrinkage, but will cross that bridge when i come to it.

So, next stop, doors. Trawled the threads and looked at doors made by others for inspiration. I fleetingly considered roller doors, but discounted them pretty quickly for a variety of reasons. So, half lap ledged and braced doors are the order of the day. A couple of trial and error goes on Sketch up and hit upon a 28 (!) mm rebate with 145 mm boards would fit my space ok. Ordered my timber and got it all ready, then started looking at how to cut a 28*16mm rebate in timber. Beyond the capabilities of my handheld router methinks. I started to have doubts about that much of a rebate, basically because its bonkers :) I started mucking about with SU again and basically concluded after 2 more goes it would take forever to find the sweet spot.

So, being a nerd, i made a spreadsheet with tunable variables to tell me the magic number :)

if i rip the 145mm timber down to 132mm i can have a much more sensible 12mm rebate for half lapping which should fit great. Best bit is i can measure exactly for the space, plug in the numbers and get something that fits first time. Should have done that to start with!

My mate runs a tool hire place and they have awesome table saws for hire, so going to try and get one from him for the weekend and get these doors assembled. I also have the timber for the partition, just the small matter of half a larch forest still on the INSIDE of the shed!

I'm planning to make some wheelie bin storage sheds with this, but will need to remove it to get the doors made / painted, so it might end up back outside sadly.

Anyway, more updates as the doors begin to take shape!
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Feb 2017, 21:48

That's too much wastage and too much work for me. I'd leave the boards the same width as they are currently, and rip the edges off the door once I'd finished. As the Americans might say.......your mileage may vary.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 01 Feb 2017, 22:56

I'm over the moon Dave that you have a shop full of wood and detritus, Ive been trying to clear mine but it looks pretty much the same! I did the doors the screw them together as they are and chop off the ends method... :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 02 Feb 2017, 08:24

Dan0741 wrote:I did the doors the screw them together as they are and chop off the ends method... :D

Mike G wrote:your mileage may vary.

"You take the high road and I'll take the low road, and you'll have doors long before me... "
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Dave's Shed project (getting there!)

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 12 Mar 2017, 18:48

Hi all,

Sorry for the long delay in updating, been beavering away trying to get things finished off for the end of March, which will be a year since i started. Sadly, not many pics as i was focussing on using the weather when available.

Anyway, i have doors! Hugely overbuilt, as with everything else in this project, but i quite like them. Some pics:

I also finished my window reveal, which i'm happy with, after some tweaks:

So, this weekend and last were glossing the doors. I had put a coat of gloss on the left door and removed the hinges / wedged it in place. Well, not well enough. A gust of wind blew it over, onto some bits i'd painted for the interior window sill and sent it crashing to the floor. Disaster!

So a lovely big dent in the side of the door and the corner has broken off. Just great. Very annoyed with myself as it crossed my mind to fix it a bit more securely and forgot to to it. Ho hum. I wasn't planning to add a second coat to the inside, but i'll have to now, and will just leave the damage at the top of the door for now.

So, two steps forward, one step back at the mo, but i am getting there.

Great to see other builds moving on too, the weather is improving and light is returning, not before time!

Cheers

David
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Mar 2017, 19:40

Looking good mate. Always annoying when things like that happen but think 2 years down the line when you whacked it with timber going in, projects coming out etc if will be more scuffed than that, you've just added some early wear and tear

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 12 Mar 2017, 19:53

Yeah you're right mate, it crossed my mind this weekend that glossed doors maybe wasn't the brightest step, but hey ho. Looking at it again though I could just chamfer that edge with the router and remove 95% of that damage.
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Mar 2017, 20:23

Now you're thinking laterally. That's the way to do it!

Coming along nicely!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds