It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:50

Trimble Towers Workshop - Fitting out begins...

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Trimble Towers Workshop Build - Slowly slowly...

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Apr 2018, 07:48

RogerS wrote:Mind you, if he didn't waste all that time kicking around an inflated pigs' bladder, he'd have been finished by now. :eusa-whistle:

Now ain’t that the truth!!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Trimble Towers Workshop Build - What? Is that progress.

Postby Andyp » 30 Apr 2018, 11:36

You getting there Mark. And remember football isn't a matter of life and death.... it's far more important than that :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Apr 2018, 12:50

Andyp wrote:You getting there Mark. And remember football isn't a matter of life and death.... it's far more important than that :)

:lol: :eusa-clap:

If only it was just football. Kids have clubs almost every night which pretty much wipes out evening working because I finish work, sort kids out to/from activities, then feed us all, then homework or chilling, then bed. By that time it's 21:00 and the thought of going out and doing workshop stuff is the last thing I need.

Work is insane since we've just farmed my job out to a large Telco as a managed service, so my workload should go down, but in the short term rockets up while I have to spend time handing stuff over to them. I still have a job, so that's no longer a stress, but the workload is bonkers at the moment.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though, so just powering on through until I break the back of it and start to see the benefit of having handed the bulk over.

In the meantime, Saturday mornings are football for both of them until around 13:00 for Him and 14:00 for her (football 10-11, singing 11:30-12:30, still in her football kit :lol: then ballet 12:30-2). Sunday morning's I play football, in theory, every other week as player/manager of my Veteran's team. That football puts pressure on the family too as really that should be family time, but in reality it's also my only 'me' time, where I can de-stress by booting ball or man...

Hey ho, found some time this weekend, and only two more matches for me and 3 for the kids, then I get my weekends back and it will be all the steam I can muster to get the workshop alive.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 May 2018, 08:24

Big box of electrickery stuffs.

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 10 May 2018, 09:04

Round conduit! How common! :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 May 2018, 09:16

I really enjoyed doing the wiring for the workshop. A laser is really helpful for the conduit.... Plenty of sockets of course.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 May 2018, 09:43

Malc2098 wrote:Round conduit! How common! :)

Haha. Yeah I haven’t got the kind of free time you have for a home brew solution!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 May 2018, 09:47

Jimmy Mack wrote:I really enjoyed doing the wiring for the workshop. A laser is really helpful for the conduit.... Plenty of sockets of course.

Got a bit up so far and will use spare time here and there to get more in.

Currently looking like this, split board CU, something like 22 double sockets, dedicated separate circuit for tablesaw, 2 separate lighting rigs, 2 separate ring mains, isolation (mushroom) switch to turn everything off (keep kids from having an accident), separate double outside of isolation for chargers, overhead double in the handbooks area, roof mounted double for air cleaner, outdoor weatherproof socket and a switched fused spur for some outside lighting.

Just need to get it all run in now...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 May 2018, 10:22

TrimTheKing wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:I really enjoyed doing the wiring for the workshop. A laser is really helpful for the conduit.... Plenty of sockets of course.

Got a bit up so far and will use spare time here and there to get more in.

Currently looking like this, split board CU, something like 22 double sockets, dedicated separate circuit for tablesaw, 2 separate lighting rigs, 2 separate ring mains, isolation (mushroom) switch to turn everything off (keep kids from having an accident), separate double outside of isolation for chargers, overhead double in the handbooks area, roof mounted double for air cleaner, outdoor weatherproof socket and a switched fused spur for some outside lighting.

Just need to get it all run in now...
Looks good I thought about an isolator (kids safe) tho it's a bit tricky with the 3 phase machines, so I rotary isolate at the machines...I have two (premium, mk) single sockets on radials for two 2k heaters (fan and oil)..

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2018, 12:05

Lots going on at Trimble Towers at the moment. Just had a wall built to hide the oil tank, but also created a storage area to tidy away garden furniture, BBQ's, wheely bins etc

It's gone from this...
IMG_5748.JPG
(679.61 KiB)

IMG_5749.JPG
(679.19 KiB)

To this...
IMG_5841.JPG
(872.83 KiB)

Plan is now to grow that wisteria (which flowers beautifully) around the wall to soften it a bit, although I think it's a lovely bit of brickwork again. Then look at potentially a pergola style top and poles around the 'courtyard' area to give a nice shaded area to sit and eat, but that's one to ponder.

I've also shifted all non essential crap, unused building materials and general detritus from the garden into a massive skip and set to on filling the beds around the workshop with topsoil/compost mix and planting a couple of honeysuckle and clematis to climb the walls and soften them a little.

My mate managed to get a couple of hours yesterday indoors and get a load of the trunking and sockets in. Enough sockets round those two sides anyone...? :D

There's also a couple of ceiling mounted ones underneath the mezzanine just in case and another 4 to go down the other wall, then lighting and single socket for the roof mounted air cleaner.

IMG_5837.JPG
(375.44 KiB)

IMG_5838.JPG
(299.74 KiB)

IMG_5839.JPG
(270.87 KiB)

Progress is progress...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Jun 2018, 12:13

Nice progress. The garden's looking great.

I cans ee this is turning into a socket race! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2018, 12:15

Malc2098 wrote:Nice progress. The garden's looking great.

I cans ee this is turning into a socket race! :D

I think I'll have 22 doubles in there by the time it's finished! Might have gone a little overboard... :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 22 Jun 2018, 12:16

Looking good Mark!

Can't beat wisteria for both shade and a couple of weeks in flower.

image.jpeg
(575.33 KiB)

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2018, 12:17

Exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of there Bob, looks great that. :text-bravo:

What do you do, just trim out new shoots each sprint or just wind them back into the mass?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy Mack » 22 Jun 2018, 12:17

Good job, love a Wisteria. We accidentally killed ours, it was large and in a small pot ... the warm weather when our first was born and a lack of attention to watering ruined it

Interesting conduit work, is there a reason for all the drops? Seems like a lot of extra work. Why not one and a horizontal run?

You can never have enough sockets

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2018, 12:18

Jimmy Mack wrote:Good job, love a Wisteria. We accidentally killed ours, it was large and in a small pot ... the warm weather when our first was born and a lack of attention to watering ruined it

Interesting conduit work, is there a reason for all the drops? Why not one and a horizontal run?

Very good question mate, haven't a clue, that's just how my mate laid it out and I didn't really think... :eusa-think:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy Mack » 22 Jun 2018, 12:22

That's beautiful Bob... is it old? Did you grow it from small?
9fingers wrote:Looking good Mark!

image.jpeg

Bob

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 22 Jun 2018, 12:26

well it looks very tidy

I've had a big move about in my shop and I might have to rejig some of the socket work I put extra in were my bench was, but after a while I realised the layout wasn't quite working. Not sure how you've found it, but It's the hardest bit I find, predicting how the space is going to flow

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 Jun 2018, 12:30

TrimTheKing wrote:Exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of there Bob, looks great that. :text-bravo:

What do you do, just trim out new shoots each sprint or just wind them back into the mass?

A mix of the two Mark. Initially we had one half of the pergola covered with a non fruiting grape vine and the other with wisteria. When the grapevine caught something nasty and died, we trained the long wisteria shoots towards the gaps which in a couple of years filled it in nicely. Now it just gets a rather brutal trim with a hedge trimmer on a pole after flowering. New vertical growth soon gets weighed down and travels horizontally to the edges when either the hedge trimmer gets it or it self regulates.

I've heard proper gardeners talk about the intricacies of pruning to maximise flowering density etc but ours has seemed to have flourished ok with sporadic brutality.

The main stem throws up loads of shoots during the growing season and once established these are largely unwanted so can be "rubbed off" with fingers flush with the trunk every few weeks during the growing season. These quickly get to a few feet long otherwise.

We like the cleanish look of a bare trunk and horizontal growth/flowers.

There- that is more than I though I knew about wisteria.

hth
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2018, 12:33

Jimmy Mack wrote: well it looks very tidy

I've had a big move about in my shop and I might have to rejig some of the socket work I put extra in were my bench was, but after a while I realised the layout wasn't quite working. Not sure how you've found it, but It's the hardest bit I find, predicting how the space is going to flow

That's why I just whacked in loads, that way there will be a socket wherever I need one, with dedicated ones for air cleaner, DX and TableSaw, and a separate couple of doubles on a split circuit so I can leave them on as a charging area while disabling all the main sockets for child safety purposes.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 22 Jun 2018, 12:44

Jimmy Mack wrote:That's beautiful Bob... is it old? Did you grow it from small?
9fingers wrote:Looking good Mark!

image.jpeg

Bob

Yes the plant was a gift from someone who worked at the local garden centre and rejected by them as it was growing at a jaunty angle and just not selling. The trunk is about 6" diameter at soil level now. Possibly around 25 years old now!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MattS » 22 Jun 2018, 20:32

TrimTheKing wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:Good job, love a Wisteria. We accidentally killed ours, it was large and in a small pot ... the warm weather when our first was born and a lack of attention to watering ruined it

Interesting conduit work, is there a reason for all the drops? Why not one and a horizontal run?

Very good question mate, haven't a clue, that's just how my mate laid it out and I didn't really think... :eusa-think:

Also, are you planning on wall cabinets? Isn’t that conduit going to limit rather than one line at socket box level?
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Bucks woodshop » 22 Jun 2018, 21:22

Well the regs used to say for domestic you could only go horizontal at the top and bottom of the wall but i thought that was for chased in circuits

Mind you i last did the 16th so few changes since then lol i should really update to the newest edition but i dont use it anymore really

Its going to be a bastard pulling the ring back through that though there is a lot to be said for sockets on dado trunking

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
do or do not do there is no try - Yoda , the dagobah system
Bucks woodshop
New Shoots

Name: ian

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2018, 22:14

MattS wrote:Also, are you planning on wall cabinets? Isn’t that conduit going to limit rather than one line at socket box level?

Might be a faff but I always use French cleats on cabinets so making them deep enough to go over the trunking shouldn’t be a massive issue.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2018, 22:16

Bucks woodshop wrote:Well the regs used to say for domestic you could only go horizontal at the top and bottom of the wall but i thought that was for chased in circuits

Mind you i last did the 16th so few changes since then lol i should really update to the newest edition but i dont use it anymore really

Its going to be a bastard pulling the ring back through that though there is a lot to be said for sockets on dado trunking

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Using singles so shouldn’t be too bad at all. The lad doing the work is a time served spark and all electrics are his suggestion including 25mm trunking and pulling singles so I’m happy to bow to his knowledge.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds