It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:00

Trimble Towers Workshop - Fitting out begins...

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Trimble Towers Workshop Build - Electrics

Postby Andyp » 14 Nov 2018, 07:23

Any excuse to down tools eh? :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Nov 2018, 07:39

Andyp wrote:Any excuse to down tools eh? :)

Cheeky! I’ll have you know I strapped it up and got straight back out there and carried on! ;)

Doors taken off, trimmed down, re-hung and new screws. Going to take one door off and take an extra bit off though as it closes now but still too close for comfort.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Nov 2018, 10:14

Wrap the wound in several layers of clingfilm tight enough to close the wound but not enough to stop blood flow to the finger.

Keeps the wound closed, stops dirt getting in and lets you wash hands etc without getting wound wet.

Wrap shock absorbing stuff round the finger and keep in place with any sort of glove, latex or nitrile, that sort of thing and keep on working.

DAMHIK!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 14 Nov 2018, 10:27

TrimTheKing wrote:
Andyp wrote:Any excuse to down tools eh? :)

Cheeky! I’ll have you know I strapped it up and got straight back out there and carried on! ;)

Doors taken off, trimmed down, re-hung and new screws. Going to take one door off and take an extra bit off though as it closes now but still too close for comfort.

That's the spirit, Mark. We expected nothing less. :D

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Nov 2018, 10:42

What a hero.

I am just waiting for the sun to come up higher enough to warm my back as I lay a few bricks. Maybe after lunch.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Nov 2018, 21:09

Busy couple of weeks so not had a lot of workshop time but got an hour or so today so touched up the paint on the ceiling and got the Jet air cleaner hung.

Tidy up around the velux now and I can take the scaffold tower down and start clearing up properly in readiness for bringing stuff in.

Doors are off and in the house drying out a bit and temp doors in place.

I didn’t paint them in the summer when they were hung and as such they’ve expanded. I trimmed them down to just clearing each other and brought them indoors. Give them a week or two to come down in moisture contents in the CH inside then I’ll paint them up and re hang.

All electrics now working as planned and fully alarmed. My mate just wants to come back and tidy up inside the CU (shorten some connections, properly cable tie everything etc.) but all sockets working, lights on separate circuit, sockets in a mushroom switch cutoff which I will press as I leave the shop to kill power to all but those doubles and the lights.

Bob - you asked for a photo inside the DOL my mate made up so here you go.

I’ve got some annual leave to take before Christmas so will grab a couple of days each week to tidy up, paint & re hang the doors then start moving in!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 25 Nov 2018, 21:21

Thanks for the "inside" information Mark. My curiosity was tweaked when you said you thought it contained a regulator although you said you were not sure.
The device in the fixed part of the box is a contactor and on the lid has the control switches.
All quite standard.
As you were!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Nov 2018, 21:43

Proper job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Nov 2018, 23:06

9fingers wrote:Thanks for the "inside" information Mark. My curiosity was tweaked when you said you thought it contained a regulator although you said you were not sure.
The device in the fixed part of the box is a contactor and on the lid has the control switches.
All quite standard.
As you were!

Bob

Ah cool, yeah I know nothing, just recounting a conversation but obviously mixing my technologies.

Good to know it’s all in order.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Nov 2018, 23:11

Malc2098 wrote:Proper job!

Getting there mate, getting there.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Phil » 09 Dec 2018, 07:28

Looking good Mark, nice progress.

Do you have to move all that stuff out to move equipment in, or just shuffle around?

Sure you will beat the 2018 Xmas deadline :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Dec 2018, 10:42

Phil wrote:Looking good Mark, nice progress.

Do you have to move all that stuff out to move equipment in, or just shuffle around?

Sure you will beat the 2018 Xmas deadline :D

There’s a lot of crud that needs binning, golf clubs into the shed, scaffold up into the mezzanine then move stuff in.

Spoke with another mate yesterday who own his own electricians company who is going to come round after a Christmas, test and certify so I can get the building regs sign off.

Whether I will move anything in from the container before Christmas is debatable though as we have very busy weekends between now and then...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Rod » 09 Dec 2018, 14:58

Excuses, excuses, excuses

Pity we didn’t put money on it??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Trimble Towers Workshop Build - Electrics

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Dec 2018, 15:12

Rod wrote:Excuses, excuses, excuses

Pity we didn’t put money on it??

Rod

Haha. I’ve given up really caring now mate. The past few months of various shiitty things happening has put a lot in perspective so this will happen when it happens and there are other more important things that need my attention, like spending quality time with my wife and kids.

I’m actually out there at the moment getting the final couple of ceiling based jobs sorted so the scaffold can come down, and also trying to get the doors back on now they’re painted and dry.

Christmas tree is up and kids decorating it so I have an hour to crack on.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Rod » 09 Dec 2018, 17:48

Yes family are far more important than playing with bits of wood.
We are having replacement windows fitted this week, weather permitting, so no Christmas decorations here yet and I’ve still two more boxes to finish!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Jan 2019, 21:36

Well I’ve started 2019 in the manner in which I would hope to continue it, with some workshop progress.

Nothing major but tidying up the ragged edges and boarding out the Velux now completes all ceiling level tasks (save for a bit of painting) which is good. I’ll get the painting done tomorrow then it’s a couple of pieces of plasterboard to finish off the ceiling in the mezzanine, re-hang the doors, frame out the windows, get the electrics signed off, finish the threshold, tidy up and move in!

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Jan 2019, 22:15

Star player!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby StevieB » 02 Jan 2019, 00:37

Looking Good - in by Easter? ;)
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 02 Jan 2019, 10:12

A June finish would be good, the 3 year anniversary ;) :D

Joking aside I added a velux to the workshop roof a few years after I’d built the shop & it’s been such a bonus, it’s great having natural light directly above the workbench
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 02 Jan 2019, 10:23

Doug wrote:....., it’s great having natural light directly above the workbench

Maybe it's the colour temperature of my LED panels but quite a few people that come to the garage/workshop and enter it comment on the light thinking it's coming in as daylight. Even had one bloke step back outside to double-check the roof as he didn't believe me :lol:

Have to admit though that I agree with you and can't wait to open up the side to let daylight into the cave.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Jan 2019, 10:40

I’m aiming to be moved in by the end of Jan at the latest as I then need the container space to move another room into to then renovate that room.

The velux is fantastic! Even with no nights on it’s reasonably bright even in the dull days of winter but with the lights on (and I went for daylight panels Roger) it’s like an operating theatre in there, which is exactly how I wanted it.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Jan 2019, 12:04

TrimTheKing wrote:
The velux is fantastic! Even with no nights on it’s reasonably bright even in the dull days of winter but with the lights on (and I went for daylight panels Roger) it’s like an operating theatre in there, which is exactly how I wanted it.

You may find there's too much natural daylight and you end up being 'snow blind' (or a similar wood mangling expression). I had this problem when I built my 'shop a few years ago and placed the bench under a large window to get max daylight falling onto it. It's now on a back wall with 5' daylight tubes over it and a couple of large Ax led spots for good measure; it's much more comfortable now to work at the bench without getting a blinding headache - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Jan 2019, 12:14

Woodbloke wrote:You may find there's too much natural day light and you end up being 'snow blind' (or a similar wood mangling expression). I had this problem when I built my 'shop a few years ago and placed the bench under a large window to get max daylight falling onto it. It's now on a back wall with 5' daylight tubes over it and a couple of large Ax led spots for good measure; it's much more comfortable now to work at the bench without getting a blinding headache - Rob

The velux is over the middle of the main area of the shop, which will be the machine area, and is pretty much west/south west facing. The workbench is under a window on the opposite wall and east/north east and as such only really gets the sunshine in the early morning so I think I should be alright.

That being said, it it's a problem then I will be putting in modular benching so it will be easy to modify.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Jan 2019, 12:17

'Modular benching'!

I like that.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Doug » 02 Jan 2019, 14:03

Got to admit when I first setup the workshop I had my bench in front of the south west facing patio door which I didn’t like as the light could be so bright & directly in my face, I think this is why I particularly like the velux as it floods light from high above so I’m not working in my own shadow & unless I crank my head skywards the daylight is never in my face

I also used to have daylight fluorescent light fittings which were incredibly bright & while seemingly great at first I began to dislike after prolonged use hence going for a warmer white when I upgraded to LED’s.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds