It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:15

Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Boarding, lead & window)

Postby Wizard9999 » 20 Oct 2014, 09:28

Mike G wrote:If you are using my design, but doing it in brick, how thick are your walls? Don't forget that to fall below the Building Regs threshold, you need your floor area (not footprint..........but the area inside the external walls) to be under 30 sq. m. So, if your walls are thicker than mine, you can make the external dimensions bigger than mine.

Mark

I had a concern heading in the other direction, size wise. If you are just insetting one side for the smaller section will the extra floor space created by the larger size of this part of the workshop take you over 30sqm and therefore into the land of building control?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Boarding, lead & window)

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Oct 2014, 09:48

I need full planning regardless (in green belt), and am putting it right next to the boundary so need building regs anyway, so took the view that I might as well go as big as I need and just suck it up.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Gardening)

Postby Mike G » 25 Oct 2014, 19:13

I went around the outside of the workshop with a long knife, cutting off the surplus DPM. Then I set out for the paths in front of it, and down the side, and turned the soil over roughly. The paths will have to wait for spring.

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Electrics +)

Postby Mike G » 28 Oct 2014, 21:06

I've had a couple of days in the workshop, and have wired lights and sockets, as well as making a couple of door-holder-opener-thingies:

I put in 7 four foot HF flourescent fittings, and 11 double sockets, including one remotely switched for my table router. I don't have a supply to the workshop yet, so have to roll out an extension lead every day. I am very aware of overloading it, so will never have more than one thing on at a time, (plus the lights).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 29 Oct 2014, 07:01

I've popped into this thread here-n-there and I must hand it to you Mike, for an architect, your practical skills are pretty good. ;)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Mike G » 29 Oct 2014, 08:25

:) Thanks Paul. I was a builder/ developer before I was an architect. I'll sometimes be found on a client's site doing some of the fancy carpentry: dormers, oak porches and the like.........because drawing all day every day is a bit dull.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 29 Oct 2014, 09:12

Mike G wrote:I was a builder/ developer before I was an architect.

Ah, all is now revealed!
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 29 Oct 2014, 09:42

Wizard9999 wrote:
Mike G wrote:I was a builder/ developer before I was an architect.

Ah, all is now revealed!

Well, let's add some detail. When I retired from cricket I bought some land and did a self-build. I enjoyed it so much that I did another one, next door (it's that house I have just sold). I was entirely self-taught........I've never been employed as a builder. Whilst building the second of those houses I started my architecture course at Uni. With a friend, we then built another 5 or 6 houses, and did a couple of major renovations.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 29 Oct 2014, 11:11

Beginning to see why it is that you can get a workshop built between lunch and tea on a rainy Tuesday, while the rest of us take months ;) .
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Oct 2014, 19:55

Mike G wrote::) Thanks Paul. I was a builder/ developer before I was an architect. I'll sometimes be found on a client's site doing some of the fancy carpentry: dormers, oak porches and the like.........because drawing all day every day is a bit dull.

Ah ha! I thought perhaps there was hands-on experience in your CV somewhere. And good on you! I would say the best understanding architects are those with practical experience who actually know the practicalities in structure.

I seriously considered architecture many years ago and I was offered a place at Brookes, Oxford, but I didn't like (still don't) the planning department. I see an architect as an artist - one who designs buildings (with the backup of an engineer of course) and the English planning department often strip the creativity away from the architect. During my designing years, I worked on a project with one of Norman Foster's bods and this chap would only work abroad (like a lot of them do) purely because there was much more creative freedom in designing buildings. Our planning department are a law unto themselves.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Bench, woodrack & tour)

Postby Mike G » 04 Nov 2014, 22:01

A wet day or two has kept me from bricklaying, so I did some stuff in the workshop.

Firstly, I have always had a shelf behind the bench for the most commonly used tools, so I bought a piece of 200 x 25 PAR and made one. The variation is that it extends beyond the end of the bench and to the corner of the workshop.

Previously, I have had individual holes for screwdrivers, but thought this time I might just have slots. They were great, except, when I tried screwdrivers in them, they just fell over like a pack of on-end dominoes. So I thought for a minute or two, and came up with this underneath:

Here is the completed shelf, with lipping (with C.3mm upstand):

Next I turned my attention to my almighty pile of scraps and off-cuts. I haven't ever found a satisfactory way of storing them such that I can see what I've got and get to it, but I thought I had a good idea, so gave it a go. This is fairly agricultural, just being some cleaned up scrap, butt jointed and screwed. The idea is that the wood doesn't just lean on a pile of wood behind it, because that ends in chaos. It is divided into 6 segments, each with a back, front and sides, so stuff leans on that without falling over.

It seems to work:

The black plastic box (an unused header tank) beside it is my scrap bin, for DaveL to collect........

Right, I pushed the brush around briefly, and so thought I would give you a little tour, going clockwise from the door:

My bench. Most of the power tools to the right are permanently plugged in, so there is no faffing around if I need to use them at the bench.

Shelves for fixings, finishes, odds & ends, then my quarter-ton cast iron floor standing pillar drill, and a sash cramp rack shamelessly copied from Alan Hudson. Turning up the long wall, I have a setting-out bench, currently hidden under my big site-saw (a sliding compound mitre saw, 12"). Underneath are tool drawers full of unsorted tools lying loose and in a tangle from the move. These drawers are ripe for some attention.

The woodracks I hope to keep empty until I bring in wood for a specific project. Under my setting out bench alongside the drawers are my smaller saw-horses. To the right of that, hinged off the front of my radial arm saw bench is my fold-out router table, with router permanently fixed to it. Under the saw is my welder and compressor:

You've just seen the woodrack, and the scrap bin (always in a corner so that offcuts can just get thrown in the general direction and they will hit the wall and bounce into the box. Moving into the smaller part of the workshop, I have a narrow bench with a metal working vice, my scary sharpening stuff, and a grinder. Below it is a tea chest which is my general bin, so drawers & storage. Above, more shelves, more bits 'n pieces.

Planer thicknesser in the foreground. The middle of the far wall will have a hatch (not for a while). To the right, sheet material storage below my clamp rack.

In the corner next to the door is my bandsaw, with spirit levels and straight edges, squares etc behind.

Most of all, I have loads of floor space. Room to work around my projects is what I was after:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 04 Nov 2014, 23:50

Most of all, I have loads of floor space. Room to work around my projects is what I was after

You certainly do Mike, an almost uniquely luxuriously spacious workshop compared to all the non-professional WIPs and tours I have seen in my limited time on this and other forums. It looks really, really nice and I'm sure it will be a brilliant place to work.

:text-bravo:

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 05 Nov 2014, 00:02

Thanks Terry.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Nov 2014, 00:45

Mmmmm a peak into my future I hope! :)

Looking good Mike. You considering filling some of that space with a table saw now?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 05 Nov 2014, 08:43

TrimTheKing wrote:Mmmmm a peak into my future I hope! :)

Looking good Mike. You considering filling some of that space with a table saw now?

Cheers
Mark

No, I'm considering filling it with some big lumps of green oak!! :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 Nov 2014, 09:06

Have you settled on a new DX system yet Mike?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 05 Nov 2014, 09:41

Nice space but seems short of hand tools?

Does your bench window face South - you may need a blind?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 05 Nov 2014, 18:34

DX? If that equals extractor........then no, not yet. I'm watching eBay.

Rod, I've lots of tools still in drawers after being hurriedly stuffed away when I moved workshops. That window faces west, so gets direct sun in the late afternoon/ evening. If the sun did become a nuisance, I could shut the internal shutter.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 05 Nov 2014, 19:48

Very interesting, thanks, Mike. Like the screwdriver idea and the shelf at the back. I just might nick that idea :D

Your scrap rack looks good. I am drowning under too many scraps but have got to the point where I think I will probably put it all on the fire. I have found that when looking for stuff in the scrap pile, if it is the right width, it will be the wrong thickness. If it is the right width and thickness then it won't be long enough. If all three are OK you find you need many more than what you have spare. Plus if you are cutting scrap down to width/length/thickness you waste so much time as each scrap needs prepping separately.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby mickthetree » 15 Jan 2015, 20:52

Very nice Mike and well done on an excellent thread.
Is that the same dewalt chop saw you had when I came and got some of that oak off you some years ago?

I still have it, moved through a number of properties now and hope to get to it very soon as my dinning table top. Very beautiful planks they are too.
mickthetree
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Jan 2015, 21:09

It must be, as I've only ever had the one sliding compound mitre saw. I have no idea how long I've had it, but with a sharp blade it is a brilliant bit of kit. Damn, its big though.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby chataigner » 16 Jan 2015, 13:04

I missed the post with the scap bin idea originally, but found it today when following up yr last post Mike. What a great idea ! Oddly enough I made something on a similar principle, though much smaller, for storing support canes in the greenhouse a few months ago, but hadnt thought to apply the same idea to workshop scrap. I will definitely pinch that idea - thanks !
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Jan 2015, 00:16

Mike

Just been checking back on this thread for reference, wanted to se what you used for the breather membrane on the walls. I can see you use Powerlon Ultraperm on the roof, but you refer to using "building paper" on the walls, it is a darker blue and looks unbranded. Can you provide any more insight into what you used / what needs to be used?

As ever, thanks,
Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 28 Jan 2015, 14:01

It is building paper, Terry, but it isn't a great product. You are better off with a timber frame breather membrane, and some of them are useable both on the walls and the roof.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby big soft moose » 06 Mar 2015, 09:17

I've just read the whole thread and that is simply epic ... its nearly the size of our ranger base workshop and better built. The only mistake is that you havent left room for a lathe :eusa-dance:

I wish i'd had you on hand when i was building my 'office' (a stud work partion off one of the workshops) - my stud work was... ahem... 'just like yours' with the rather critical exception that when it was all fixed together it wasn't quite square (as in out by about 10cm top to bottom) and i'm still not sure why
big soft moose
Seedling

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds