It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:52

Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Extension)

Postby Mike G » 06 Oct 2016, 07:03

I don't have a hygrometer, and I had a major catastrophic failure of the roof membrane in a storm a couple of weeks back (I've replaced the membrane since). Two inches of water on a workshop floor is a disaster, so the dehumidifier (plus wonderful drying weather since) have probably left me suffering above-average humidity levels ATM.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 06 Oct 2016, 13:00

Mike G wrote:I don't have a hygrometer, and I had a major catastrophic failure of the roof membrane in a storm a couple of weeks back (I've replaced the membrane since). Two inches of water on a workshop floor is a disaster, so the dehumidifier (plus wonderful drying weather since) have probably left me suffering above-average humidity levels ATM.

Sure you didn't need that Mike :(
Any idea when you'll finally get the slates on?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Mike G » 06 Oct 2016, 13:53

No, I really didn't Terry. Luckily, almost all of my tools are in the house at the moment.

I'm hoping to slate it within a couple or 3 weeks.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby greeno » 06 Oct 2016, 17:25

Mike,

Just going back a few posts to the cladding.

In your original design on UKW you vented the void behind the cladding at the bottom and the top, under the eaves.

In this build it looks like you haven't vented at the top as you put those inserts (beginning of post on P8) in the eaves between the rafters.

Any reason you didn't vent at the top?
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Oct 2016, 20:11

Hi Greeno.

That's an insightful question. Actually, the venting at the bottom is more a product of the drip detail, and to let any moisture out that finds its way in behind the boards. With sawn feather-edged boards, butt jointed, there is probably enough ventilation with all the inadvertant gaps without doing anything specific at all..........when dealing with a workshop. It would be a different story when talking about a heated permanently-occupied building with moisture sources.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby tabs » 08 Nov 2016, 21:10

I was going to ask this in a separate thread but really can't see which forum I would put it in. Anyway on page 2 of this thread Mike you posted some photos of your slab. One of them shows a box in the floor and some blue flexible pipe coming out from under the salb for the power and network cables. Could you tell me what type of box you used and what is that flebxile blue pipe called? Cheers
tabs
New Shoots

Name: Tez

Postby Mike G » 08 Nov 2016, 22:10

The box is home-made of wood, and the ducting was some crinkly-walled ducting I picked up in a barn sale. As an unfortunate aside, I stupidly threaded the wrong cable through the duct before I poured concrete, some of which must have got into the conduit somewhere locking it solidly in place. I therefore can only have only socket in the floor rather than the two I wanted.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 22:20

Mike G wrote:The box is home-made of wood, and the ducting was some crinkly-walled ducting I picked up in a barn sale. As an unfortunate aside, I stupidly threaded the wrong cable through the duct before I poured concrete, some of which must have got into the conduit somewhere locking it solidly in place. I therefore can only have only socket in the floor rather than the two I wanted.

How about pouring some brick acid down the conduit Mike? once it has freed up you can neutralise it with some washing soda.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 08 Nov 2016, 22:39

That's a thought, Bob, but I'd need to able to clean it out again before pulling the new cable through. I doubt I could be sure of achieving that.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2016, 22:49

Mike G wrote:That's a thought, Bob, but I'd need to able to clean it out again before pulling the new cable through. I doubt I could be sure of achieving that.

Thats why you neutralise it afterwards. You can then mop it out with rag or if there is still a route to the outside, shove a hose down it. Not likely to hurt new cable anyway. Tape over the open end as you pull it through.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Postby Mike G » 24 Apr 2017, 17:23

Two and half years, and three layers of breather membrane later, I thought I might take the opportunity (afforded by the endless wait for replacement oak) of slating my workshop roof. In assessing the job, however, I realised it wasn't as simple as that. The rear of the workshop has had an ad hoc shelter tacked to it for a while now, sheltering all sorts of building materials under some old bits of polycarbonate roof sheets, and all that would require moving just to enable access. You may recall that I had previously laid a few bricks on the northern end of the workshop, as a start to a store-room extension:

So, I decided to build that store first, as a place to house all the toot from behind the workshop, and as a bonus, to enable me to clear out my workshop and return that to use. It's approx 1350 x 3750 (4'-4" x 12'-4"). After that was built I would be able to put slates on the roof of the 'shop.

I started with a simple 45x45 frame, sitting on the inside half of the bricks:

The roof is of 95x45 (4x2) rafters, and although I am planning on putting Onduline corrugated roofing sheets on now, I wanted it man enough to take a slate roof in future. This also forced the 22.5 degree pitch:

Shelves in:

Eaves detail. I did um and ahh a bit before going to this trouble, but decided that I want to be able to keep wasps and bees out, as they can take over a little used outbuilding for a summer and prevent access:

I used roofing membrane for the walls too:

This end of the workshop is close to our boundary, and surrounded by stinging nettles, so there are only a few places I can take photos from, including in the adjacent field. The wheat is already suffering in the drought (it hasn't rained here for about 6 or 8 weeks):

I then did my normal detail, vertical battens over the vertical frame members, with a wedge at the bottom to kick the bottom board out over the plinth, insect mesh at the bottom. Then I had to scribe ever board around the boards on the workshop, so this bit of work took some time:

I took a different approach on the other side, because I had a whole lot of off-cuts which were about an inch short otherwise:

Flashing in, only the LH side of the opening needing boarding. It's now finished, so I'll grab a piccie tomorrow.

Finally, I could get on with the main roof. To start with, I fitted barge boards and erected a scaffold:

I also fitted a fascia to take the bottom edge of the first slates. Finally, I was rid of all that flapping overhanging membrane which has bugged me for a couple of years!! Next, I thrashed down the stinging nettles with a shovel to reveal my stash of old slates recovered from the roof of the cottage prior to re-roofing:

There's getting on for 500 610 x 305 (2 foot by 1 foot) slates, which if they are original to the house, as I suspect, are 300 plus years old. Setting out involves a little thought, and some basic maths:

I fixed a batten to the barge board to give me the line of the overhang, put an additional batten on the roof to take the under-eaves slate, and got cracking:

Each slate required cleaning and re-holing, but considering their age and thinness I suffered very little wastage. They are pretty variable in size, so there was a bit of cutting to do approaching the far end of the roof. There are plenty enough to do the larger rear roof, and maybe just enough to do one of the smaller rooves as well.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Apr 2017, 17:40

The shrub beds really softens the corners. Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 24 Apr 2017, 18:18

They do, yes. However, I do have to keep reminding the gardener (my wife) about the relationship between soil levels adjacent to the building and the slab level.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 24 Apr 2017, 18:45

Looks fab Mike, those slates really look at home on there. Lovely patina on them. I guess it's the same with all pics but your shots seem to beguile the viewer with the amount of work taking place between each pic!
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 24 Apr 2017, 18:50

Thanks Dave. Yeah the real work doesn't have a photo: clearing the area, getting the ground level for a scaffold, bashing down the stinging nettles, moving building materials out of the way. Compared to all that, nailing a few slates on the roof is a bit of a doddle. Also, I've shown all of the details close up earlier in this thread, and in another thread about another shed, so there is nothing much to be gained by focusing in on the wedges and insect mesh again.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby DaveL » 24 Apr 2017, 20:30

I cycled past Mike's place today and was very pleased to see him busy fixing the slates on the workshop roof. I commented to one of the others that I had helped Mike build the workshop a few years ago, how time flies, must be enjoying ourselves.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Rod » 25 Apr 2017, 10:12

Looking good - looks like it's been there for years.
What will you use if you have to buy more slates- S/H ones?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Apr 2017, 10:41

Probably new, Rod. I have to buy some new ones for the house soon anyway, so i may as well buy enough to do whatever is left of the workshop at the same time.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 25 Apr 2017, 21:56

Really pleased to see you finishing this

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Apr 2017, 08:44

the bear wrote:Really pleased to see you finishing this...

:lol: YOU are!! Imagine how my wife feels. Imagine how my neighbours feel. Most importantly of all....imagine how I feel about this finally getting done!! :D
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 26 Apr 2017, 10:14

Then I'm glad everyone is pleased!!!

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 28 Apr 2017, 13:53

Mike G wrote:
the bear wrote:Really pleased to see you finishing this...

YOU are!! Imagine how my wife feels. Imagine how my neighbours feel. Most importantly of all....imagine how I feel about this finally getting done!! :D

It's been a tough wait... for all of us

But worth it, those slate tiles look lovely

Jim

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Paul200 » 28 Apr 2017, 17:11

Hi Mike - quick question.

I'm about to start building a workshop so have been re-reading your thread to re-acquaint myself with a few things that I wasn't sure of. I notice in your drawing at the beginning that there is a ventilation gap above the insulation in the roof - but your actual roof doesn't have that gap. Hope you don't mind me mentioning this but it's something that I've been concerned about with my eventual roof.

I could assume that with a building that isn't occupied or used very often the likelihood of condensation problems would be minimal to non-existent - but I would be grateful if you could put my mind at rest on this point.

Thanks

Paul
Paul200
Seedling

Name: Paul

Postby RogerS » 28 Apr 2017, 19:26

Fabulous slates, Mike. Expensive ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2017, 20:24

Paul200 wrote:Hi Mike - quick question.

I'm about to start building a workshop so have been re-reading your thread to re-acquaint myself with a few things that I wasn't sure of. I notice in your drawing at the beginning that there is a ventilation gap above the insulation in the roof - but your actual roof doesn't have that gap. Hope you don't mind me mentioning this but it's something that I've been concerned about with my eventual roof.

I could assume that with a building that isn't occupied or used very often the likelihood of condensation problems would be minimal to non-existent - but I would be grateful if you could put my mind at rest on this point.

Thanks

Paul

No, this is a different roof. There is a 50mm clear gap between the top of the insulation and the underside of the breather membrane. Obviously there is plenty of airflow under slates. The difference with the diagram you may be looking at is that the OSB board is an impermeable barrier, and would thus trap moisture in. This is the danger of posting information on-line......there are subtleties, and what applies in one scenario doesn't apply in another. What sort of roof covering are you planning on?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds