It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:17

Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2017, 20:25

RogerS wrote:Fabulous slates, Mike. Expensive ?

No, they're the slates I took off the roof of the cottage when I re-roofed it. So absolutely free. :eusa-dance:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2017, 20:38

It took nearly 2 days of work to clear this area behind the shed. It was an overgrown dumping ground for all sorts of building materials, and was utterly inaccessible. Now, I can get a scaffold up:

Well, you've all seen me slate a roof, so here it is done, with the scaffold down, and two battens clear at the top to give me access to do the ridge:

The slates, as you know, were recycled from the roof of the old house. So are the ridge tiles. They are hand-made clay ridge tiles, probably as old as the house (300 years). This is why you need to sort them on the ground:

Very different profiles. One is a third round, and another is known locally as a hogsback, most are somewhere between the two, yet they are all on the same ridge. I spent a few minutes laying them out so that the changes between tiles wasn't too abrupt:

There is no space at all on a ridge, and with no help, every ridge tile means at least one trip down to the ground (to fetch 3 slates). Every 4th tile you have to fetch some more ridge tiles up. About every 5 or 6 tiles you need another bucket of mortar. Every time you come up you bring some more crocks (broken clay tiles) to pack under the joints. And because this sort of roof has to be done this way, you can't get a line in, so the ridge tiles are just laid by eye. Anyway, here's a few piccies:

In that last one you can see the difference in colour between dry and wet mortar, as I had to go on a couple of site visits. This difference will have gone by tomorrow. Here's a view from the field:

..........and from the house:

It looks so much better than the flapping breather membrane and exposed battens.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 28 Apr 2017, 21:10

looks lovely in the sun!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Apr 2017, 21:33

Mike G wrote:
RogerS wrote:Fabulous slates, Mike. Expensive ?

No, they're the slates I took off the roof of the cottage when I re-roofed it. So absolutely free. :eusa-dance:

Or a couple of hundred grand, depending how you look at it... ;)

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Apr 2017, 21:37

Looking a bit scruffy the outside of that workshop Mike, time for a new coat of paint...

:P

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2017, 22:00

TrimTheKing wrote:Looking a bit scruffy the outside of that workshop Mike, time for a new coat of paint...

:P

Cheers
Mark

Gutters first. That is soil splashed up by the falling water from the edge of the roof. Now that I've got a roof on, gutters can follow soon.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Apr 2017, 22:19

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby MattS » 28 Apr 2017, 22:46

Seriously impressive workshop.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2017, 23:03

Thanks Matt.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Paul200 » 29 Apr 2017, 11:25

Mike G wrote:
No, this is a different roof. There is a 50mm clear gap between the top of the insulation and the underside of the breather membrane. Obviously there is plenty of airflow under slates. The difference with the diagram you may be looking at is that the OSB board is an impermeable barrier, and would thus trap moisture in. This is the danger of posting information on-line......there are subtleties, and what applies in one scenario doesn't apply in another. What sort of roof covering are you planning on?

Got you - yes the drawing I'm looking at has a OSB 'sandwich' with Kingspan in between (and although your drawing, it was posted by someone else). I have two choices with my roof. I have a lot of slates left from demolition of an outbuilding - but not enough to cover my new roof. Or I thought of using felt shingles - I like the look of them and they're easier to lay than slates. The second option would need the 'sandwich style roof.

Thanks for clearing that up Mike.

Paul
Paul200
Seedling

Name: Paul

Postby Phil » 29 Apr 2017, 12:12

Mike that really looks great! :eusa-clap: :D 8-)

You deserve a beer, or two.

Sadly though, the booze for the roof wetting was consumed either two years ago or it's gone off :oops:

I think the thread requires a read from the start just to refresh the memory.

{Edit - just cant spell :oops: }
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby tabs » 07 Sep 2017, 15:39

Lovely job - I love slate rooves.
tabs
New Shoots

Name: Tez

Postby FatboyUK » 21 Jan 2018, 18:04

Sorry, stupid question time. What sort of heating did you/have you use? or is it warm enough to work in during the colder months due to the insulation?
FatboyUK
Seedling

Name:

Postby OscarG » 09 Oct 2018, 11:26

Mike you are a legend! I've really enjoyed reading this. You should write a book on shed building, I'd certainly buy it!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this. I'm hoping to move in the next few months, would love to try and have a go doing it your way. I'll probably refer to this thread about 1000 times when I do.

The workshop looks amazing, beautiful work.
OscarG
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 09 Oct 2018, 12:54

Thanks Oscar. The slates on the front of the smaller roof have also been done now.

There's always plenty of help here if you decide to build your own workshop. Good luck with the move, and let us know when you start your planning for the new building.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby DBT85 » 22 Feb 2020, 08:49

Mike, I know it's now over 5 years since this one all started but I have had a re read (for probably the 5th time) and just wanted to ask if you did ever come in under the 3k price you thought it would.

I can't imagine the same would be true today, even with "free" slates, surely?

I had also considered a little extension like your own on mine for some additional storage of outsidy things like chairs and garden materials.

This is now several years since I first replied to the thread so it's been a great one to go back through.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
DBT85
Seedling

Name: Darren

Postby Mike G » 22 Feb 2020, 09:38

I didn't keep a close eye on the costs, Darren, but I remember thinking at the time that I was around that figure.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby UncleShark » 10 Aug 2020, 22:08

Quick question Mike. Your roof. Am i right in thinking it is OSB: 100mm rafter with 100mm insulation between: breathable roof membrane: battens and then slates? use the batten as the ventilation space?
UncleShark
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Aug 2020, 07:53

No. The rafters are 150mm, with 100mm insulation, then membrane, battens & slate. The point of the gap below the membrane is not for air movement, but to allow the membrane to sag between the rafters. This is what keeps the fixing holes on top of the rafters from being an issue. Air movement is important above the membrane, not below it, and this just happens naturally with any of the tile or slate options.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby UncleShark » 11 Aug 2020, 11:36

Got it.And makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help, it was the last piece in the puzzle for me
UncleShark
Seedling

Name:

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds