It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:09

Malcolm's Garden Workshop (The Side Doors)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Malcolm's Garden Workshop (The Side Doors)

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Aug 2016, 12:07

Yay!

Planning permission has just be granted for the Garden Workshop, or shed, as some of my friends and rellies call it!!!

I shall be using soshul meejya looking for volunteers from them during the construction phase. Tea, coffee, home made cakes and bread will be provided.

The chipper/shredder arrives tomorrow for the start of the site clearance and I've nearly finished the construction drawings to submit to Building Control. When I think I've finished them, I'll post a Sketchup animation here for comments and advice etc.

Then it will probably be a few weeks till the weedkiller has done its work before the groundworks can start.

Watch this space!
Last edited by Malc2098 on 18 Sep 2021, 16:33, edited 34 times in total.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Malcolm's Garden Workshop

Postby 9fingers » 09 Aug 2016, 12:42

Congratulations Malcolm. I knew there was a good reason to stay away from social media :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 09 Aug 2016, 12:43

Well done Malc!

I find a digger works quicker than weedkiller ;) :lol: . Have you thought of doing the building under "Notices" rather than "Full Plans Approval" with the building inspector? I reckon the council will be surprised to see drawings for a shed.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Aug 2016, 14:42

Thanks, Gents.

The site isn't spacious enough to get a medium or small digger in. Because of a dodgy back and arthritic hips, I shall be using a local firm to do the groundworks, possibly with a mini digger. The site is landscaped with paving and block walling and I will remove, chip and shred all the shrubs and their roots and try to reclaim the slabs and possible use the block walling for hard core. No 1 son is helping with that and if we use his car to take the bags of shredding to the tip, it'll be his number that gets banned for a month!

It's the brambles that are the problem and if it were a wide open site, I agree a digger would deal with them, but because of the slope, there would be considerable spoil removal. I would like to remove as little spoil and demolition from the site as possible, something that both the Planning and Building Officers encouraged. And the cost of skips!

Because the site is sloping in two directions, I've yet to find the datum point for height/depth, and I won't be able to do that to any accuracy until after I've cleared the site. I'm retired now, I'm not in a hurry. And because of the slopes, I'm going for trenches rather than a slab.

I haven't yet decided to do it under Building Notice or Regs. I'm minded to see my local BCO who's been very fair and helpful with previous works here and with the early stages of the project, and seek his advice.

Shed, Mike?!! Shed?! :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Aug 2016, 17:02

A question, Gents. OSB 2 or 3?

And Jewsons sizes are 1200!!!!! x 2440. I've got to change all my rafters' centres!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 09 Aug 2016, 17:23

Malc2098 wrote:........Shed, Mike?!! Shed?! :)

:lol: :lol: Sorry!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Aug 2016, 17:51

Malc2098 wrote:A question, Gents. OSB 2 or 3?

And Jewsons sizes are 1200!!!!! x 2440. I've got to change all my rafters' centres!

So that makes Mike's 633,1243,1853, etc all wrong!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 09 Aug 2016, 19:56

I used 3 for the 18mm roof but 2 for the 11mm internal cladding.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Aug 2016, 20:06

Rod wrote:I used 3 for the 18mm roof but 2 for the 11mm internal cladding.

Rod

Should I go for 3 for external cladding and 2 for internal cladding and flooring then?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby woodstalker » 09 Aug 2016, 20:55

Are you hiring a chipper to do the chipping of the woody foliage? If so i would recommend getting as big as you can so that it has power feed rollers. I hired a smaller petrol one from HSS and it was a bit of a let down in terms of how much i got chipped. No power feed means that pretty much every sticky out branch and twig has to be trimmed off first before feeding into the hoper by hand or it just gets stuck.

I gave up on the chipper and built a simple turbo incinerator and burned the lot, the beauty being virtually no smoke so it was loads better than a bonfire and less annoyance to the neighbours, if you can't get a decent chipper i heartily recommend a turbo incinerator!! :eusa-dance:

woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Aug 2016, 22:27

Thanks.

I used to be a pyromaniac, too!

The chipper arrived tonight from a local hire firm. It's bloomin' heavy. Three of us got it up the garden steps. The guy delivering, owns the firm, has seen the coppice shrubs and is happy that the machine can take them. It specified at maximum 100mm/4" and the coppice rods are less than 3".

He showed me the insides and the brand new blade that cuts the rods on the way in. It's not got power feed rollers, so we'll have to see. But you can't get your arm all the way down the chipper hopper or the shredder hopper, so it must pull them in somehow.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Aug 2016, 20:23

Started clearing the site.

Having a go at the first coppice.

Chips!

No more coppice!

That pile's waiting for me to put through the chipper tomorrow. Good local hire company - PPE came with the price.

But I've still got to dig that stump out!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Aug 2016, 11:18

Stump grinder! I loved using one of those when I hired one about 13 years ago or so.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 11 Aug 2016, 11:29

Yes that's the easiest option if you can get access to the stump.
I helped a neighbour remove a stump from our boundary earlier in the year when his tree blew down taking the fence with it.
Took hours of digging, chopping of roots, levering with long lengths of timber and using pulleys tied to other trees. Bloody hardwork!!
Good luck

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Aug 2016, 11:58

Thanks, Chaps. I'll research a local supplier. Access is not brilliant. Had a tree surgeon in a couple of years ago to remove an old apple tree; took four of them to get the SG up the garden! Once all the shrubs are down, there should be access by removing the fence panels.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby woodstalker » 11 Aug 2016, 12:06

Malc2098 wrote:Thanks, Chaps. I'll research a local supplier. Access is not brilliant. Had a tree surgeon in a couple of years ago to remove an old apple tree; took four of them to get the SG up the garden! Once all the shrubs are down, there should be access by removing the fence panels.

My incinerator idea can be used to burn out a stump too, just sayin' :D
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Aug 2016, 12:36

woodstalker wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:Thanks, Chaps. I'll research a local supplier. Access is not brilliant. Had a tree surgeon in a couple of years ago to remove an old apple tree; took four of them to get the SG up the garden! Once all the shrubs are down, there should be access by removing the fence panels.

My incinerator idea can be used to burn out a stump too, just sayin' :D

Thanks.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Aug 2016, 18:21

Last nights pile chipped and shredded and No 1 son drives 180 miles to help me remove the lilac tree! What a player! He's just driven back!

Who knew there were houses and a street lamp behind!

Next the flowering blackcurrant tomorrow after taking 36 bags of shredding/chippings to the recycling centre.
Last edited by Malc2098 on 17 Feb 2018, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 11 Aug 2016, 19:02

Nice work Malc. Can that machine be raised up so the shreddings go straight in the sack?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Aug 2016, 20:03

Andyp wrote:Nice work Malc. Can that machine be raised up so the shreddings go straight in the sack?

I don't think so. Some of the <1/2" shredding stalks come flying out at anything up to 1' long! So they'd pierce the bags. The chipper works really well. Had some boughs at >3" going through. but some of the chips have bounced over the fence and onto next door's conservatory. Will have to go round with a bottle of wine tomorrow! We've changed the direction of the machine to stop that.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Aug 2016, 12:02

Why is it whenever I arrive at the tip (euphemistically called the Civic Amenity Site), the gate closes as I'm just reaching the end of the approach road and the dozer driver then spends the next half hour flattening the contents of the bins?! How do they know I'm on my way?!

Anyway, at the top of the steps of the garden waste bin as I'm emptying the first of my 20 bags of chippings, the bloke next to me says, "Do you want that? If you don't I'll use it on my allotment paths." So we started carrying the bags into the back of his car when staff come along and say "You can't do that here, mate. Anything that comes in the site either goes in the bins or goes out in the car it came in." So we unload his car and load my car up again and leave the site and swap the contraband in a lay-by down the road.

Then he comes round my house and takes the next 15 bags and next week he's coming for the chippings I will do between now and then. And he's bringing his own bags!

Result!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 12 Aug 2016, 12:16

Nce one Malcolm. That a bit harsh, in the past I was told so long as items have not actually been placed in their skips or on the pile then they did not mind. I got my first golf bag like that 40 odd years ago.
I would question the wisdom of putting some much green matter on his paths as they will very soon compost, turn to soil and then become ideal conditions for every type of weed imaginable. I pass all my leafless prunings through a large lecky shredder and use them on my paths around my veg plot. Anything with leaves mixed in goes on the compost.

Don't tell him I told you though ;)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Aug 2016, 12:26

Promise. I won't!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 12 Aug 2016, 12:56

I suppose rules are rules but the people who run the sites in Hampshire get first pickings as it's part of their contract price.
To reduce costs, our Council have reduced the opening times and HWRC's will be closed on a Thursday - very short sighted as it will only increase the amount of fly tipping which costs even more to clear up!
I used to compost a lot of my stuff but the hedge trimmings take several years to compost properly so I now use the free Green Bag Collection Service (fortnightly) or take the stuff myself.
The Council compost it and resell it on as Garden Improver.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Aug 2016, 13:05

There is a local village parish that have their own composting centre which I would have preferred to use, but it's been so successful, they're having to upgrade it and it's closed for the time being.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Next

Return to Workshop Builds