It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:22

Hully's Workshop Build - Summer Update

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - Window Flashing Question

Postby Hully » 17 May 2017, 16:26

So, I was expecting some wood movement and for the joints to open up slightly...but while checking over the wall which gets sun for most of the day I've found some of the field joints, that were as tight as a nun's chuff, have opened up to leave gaps that in some cases are around 8mm wide!!!!!!!

Nothing I can do about it now but need some expert advice on what to do gents. I was expecting to use a latex caulk for small gaps but 8mm seems too big for just caulk? In the worst cases I'm thinking I could maybe insert a 4mm wide piece of cladding to help fill the majority of the gap and then flood the rest of it with caulk. If the gap closes up when the weather gets wet that should allow for the boards to expand again?

What do you guys think?

In other news, roof membrane and battens are going up so will get out a proper update over the weekend.
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - WTF?!?!?

Postby Mike G » 17 May 2017, 16:51

What joints, where?

Bear in mind that the boarding is essentially a rainscreen. It isn't supposed to be 100% watertight. The principle is that it keeps almost all the water out , and that any that finds a way in has got an easy way out. This is the whole point of battening out outside the wall membrane (remember, this is one of the key, key features that distinguishes a proper workshop from a cheap shed). There is an air-supply behind the boards, so if those joints have got a bit big and water gets in, it will readily dry out.

Having said that, 8mm is quite large, and would be unsightly, so let's see if it can be fixed.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Hully » 17 May 2017, 20:32

Mike G wrote:What joints, where?

Hi Mike

There are a few field joints and some joints where the cladding meets the trim that have opened up to around 8mm. There dont appear to be any issues on the front of the building (at least not yet) so I dont mind too much if the fix looks a bit rough if it does a good job of keeping the water out as much as possible.

This is probably the worst field joint:

Thanks in advance for the advice Mike.
Cheers
Hully
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 May 2017, 21:12

There really is something odd going on there, because timber doesn't really shrink along its length.

I'd consider prising the board above up a little, then taking out one of the short boards, and either replacing the whole thing to the correct length, or cutting it back to the next stud location and cutting in a shorter infill piece. But before I did that, I'd want to know why the gap had opened up in the first place. Whereabouts on the shed is that joint?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 17 May 2017, 22:02

Hully - I have exactly the same. Mine were tight when I finished the cladding and now I have similar gaps. I am comforted by the fact that I made the interior, ie membrane etc as bullet proof as possible so the rainscreen effect should protect me. I also have approx 300mm eaves overhang inc gutters, so actually all but the hardest driving rain falls wide of the cladding anyway. Not so much on the gables though.

When you bear in mind I used 4.2m lengths 8mm shrinkage, same as yours, as a proportion of the whole isn't a huge shrinkage. And the gaps are greatest on the longest boards. My understanding was that whilst shrinkage is mostly across the grain; it does occur to much more limited extent along the grain. And softwoods more so.

Let me know any ideas you come up with. :D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Mike G » 18 May 2017, 07:13

Hmmm.........this is leaving me scratching my head. My workshop hasn't had any butt joints open up. The black barn I built 25 years ago had 3 or 4 boards cup badly enough to pull the nails out, but the only shrinkage gaps were around the verticals at the corners and the window surrounds, which had obviously shrunk. None of the butt joints between boards has opened at all. Same with my 6m long lounge wall here. It's not like my boards were special.........they're often soaking wet when supplied.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 May 2017, 07:37

Are we sure it's not what they're nailed into that hasn't moved thus moving the nails apart...?

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby the bear » 18 May 2017, 09:15

This also happened in a couple of places on the workshop I built at my old house. Only occurred on the sunny s/west side of the building. I had small squares of black DPC under the joints and the workshop was painted black so I just left them and experienced no problems. No longer live there now though

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Hully » 18 May 2017, 11:09

Thanks for all the feedback guys, its reassuring to hear I'm not the only one this has happened too.

Dan - you're right mate, 8mm over 4.2m isnt a huge amount, but I've still got some a big holes in my wall :D

Bear - I need to go around an have a proper look but at first glance it looks to be a similar situation to yours -only happening on the wall that gets all the sun.

Mike - cutting out to the next stud and putting in a short board is a good suggestion, thanks. But not sure if I'll have enough spare cladding to do all the gaps. I'll have to have a look once the final section on the back is clad in the next week. If I dont, would a small patch/caulk job be good enough do you think...even if its for the short term (1-2 years)?
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 18 May 2017, 12:55

I'd advocate slipping a piece of DPM under the open joints, so that anything which gets in is directed out fairly quickly. This will involved getting a couple of nails out first. Brick movement joints are designed at 10mm, entirely filled with caulking, so yes, it is certainly possible to fill the gaps this way.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 18 May 2017, 18:43

Just a thought - I used Larch, as did Dave and I think this is, (all had shrinkage) Mike didnt, I don't think; - could that be a cause - is movement increased in Larch for any reason? :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Rod » 18 May 2017, 18:58

Shrinkage would also be dependent on moisture content which could have increased with wet weather, storage etc etc

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby the bear » 18 May 2017, 19:14

I didn't use larch I used pressure treated softwood painted with Bedec and I also got this. Can't remember how wet they were, this was about 10 years ago.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Hully » 30 May 2017, 16:23

Hi All

Apologies for the lack of comms recently. I've made some decent progress over the last couple of weeks so time for an update.

The cladding is now finished. The last few boards have been primed and installed on the back. I also put the last row up on the front...more on that in a minute. I've not gone round and caulked the dreaded shrink induced gaps yet. I have a few decent off cuts so will try caulking the gaps first and then replace the worst offenders if the caulk doesn't work. Painting will be done at the back end of the summer.

I'd been waiting to put up the last row of cladding on the front as I wasn't sure what to do with the flashing for the top of the window and door. I eventually decided to go with Aluminium so bought a 150mm wide roll and fashioned a couple of flashing's. Not as neat as using a break but not bad for a hammer, some clamps and a couple of bits of wood. This is probably overkill seeing as they're right under the eaves/sofit.

I've also put up most of the membrane and battens on the roof. I was hoping to have this finished over the weekend but frustratingly ran of battens. I need to up my Quantity Surveyor game!! :D Battens are on order so hoping to be fully covered next week. Insulation and OSB is also on order so I'll be boarding out the inside next in preparation for the tiles.

Cheers
Hully
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - Cladding, Flashing and Roof

Postby Malc2098 » 30 May 2017, 16:55

Coming along nicely!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 30 May 2017, 18:49

Looking good

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 30 May 2017, 20:30

Looks cracking Hully - You will be grateful of the big window and door in future. I was given a huge workbench this week and slid it straight in through my door that would have been too small as a standard door. :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Hully » 02 Jun 2017, 08:57

Dan0741 wrote:Looks cracking Hully - You will be grateful of the big window and door in future. I was given a huge workbench this week and slid it straight in through my door that would have been too small as a standard door. :D

Cheers Guys.

Dan - Given a workbench! Lucky chap. Have you posted a picture on your thread? A proper Roubo style bench is on my to do list but unlikely to be started for a couple of years yet. :D
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 02 Jun 2017, 21:27

Nothing beautiful matey - but fully functioning and i may change the top if i get time. I fancy a posh workbench also but im afraid i would damage it and it wouldn't look fantastic for long. The samurai carpenter one on utube would be my choice if i had the skill money and time. :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Hully » 07 Jul 2017, 09:01

Hi All

Big gap since my last update (its becoming a running theme with this build) so apologies. I'm splitting my time between the workshop build and renovating a couple of bedrooms in the house before our second kid arrives in September so the workshop has taken a bit of a back seat over the last month.

I've made some pretty good progress though so wanted to drop out a quick update. I've now insulated and boarded out the walls so we're ready for the tiles to go up. These should be arriving next week so hoping to have them all on by the end of the month. I also have the french doors so hoping to get them in this weekend if I have the time.

Cheers

Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - Insulation and Boarding

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Jul 2017, 09:08

Coming along.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jul 2017, 11:06

Looking good mate.

French doors eh? Very posh! ;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Hully » 10 Jul 2017, 10:18

TrimTheKing wrote:Looking good mate.

French doors eh? Very posh! ;)

Cheers
Mark

Haha...not really mate. But the only way I could get sign off from the Mrs was by making it look more like a "garden studio / office" than a shed / workshop so I went with the french doors.

I started putting it together over the weekend but was defeated by 4 missing screws so had to put it on hold until Wickes send me missing offenders.
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Hully » 14 Sep 2017, 13:06

Hi All

Apologies for the lengthy gap since my last update. Life has been pretty hectic over the last couple of months, but I have made some good progress on the workshop so here's the latest update

The roof is now tiled and has the dry ridge installed. I was pretty concerned about structural integrity as there is nearly 2 tonnes of tile up there but the walls haven't moved at all and everything seems solid :eusa-dance:

I've also installed the French door, caulked all the joints around the building and given it the first coat of paint...so this is how she's looking.

IMG_2052.JPG
(760.36 KiB)

The aim is to get the building water tight before the end of October so next jobs are to make and fit the fascias and sofits, put up the dry verge, install the window and give the building a second coat (though I dont think it needs it). I'll then start to work on the inside, though my wife is about to give birth to our second child so unlikely to have much time to work on it over Autumn/Winter.

One bit of advice I was hoping to get is on the floating floor. The floor right now is a cement slab with no insulation so the plan is to put down 50mm Celotex and then 18mm T&G chipboard on top. Apart from the usual (gluing the joints, expansion gaps around the edge etc) is there anything I should be aware of when doing this?

Cheers
Hully
Last edited by Hully on 15 Sep 2017, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - Summer Progress

Postby Mike G » 14 Sep 2017, 13:27

Looking good! If you don't get your window in shortly, you could pin some polythene across the opening.

That floating floor sounds fine. You'll need skirting boards to hold it all firmly down around the perimeter, of course. One little tip is to walk around on the insulation before you install the boards, and if there are any hollows, places where the insulation moves under your feet, run a Stanley knife through it to get it to settle down properly.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds