It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:22

Hully's Workshop Build - Summer Update

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - Summer Progress

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Sep 2017, 13:56

Looking really good.

French Grey seems to be popular this year; I shall be using it!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Hully » 14 Sep 2017, 14:14

Malc2098 wrote:Looking really good.

French Grey seems to be popular this year; I shall be using it!

Thanks Malc. Yours is coming on real well also. I used a similar batten arrangement for my corners so as Mike said, it should work a treat.

Not sure if you've bought your paint yet but if not, I've used Bedec (as recommended by Mike) and its excellent stuff!!
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Hully » 14 Sep 2017, 14:15

Mike G wrote:Looking good! If you don't get your window in shortly, you could pin some polythene across the opening.

That floating floor sounds fine. You'll need skirting boards to hold it all firmly down around the perimeter, of course. One little tip is to walk around on the insulation before you install the boards, and if there are any hollows, places where the insulation moves under your feet, run a Stanley knife through it to get it to settle down properly.

Great, thanks very much (as always) for the tips Mike
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Sep 2017, 14:40

Ed, I've been through your earlier photo links and tried to fix them with a "spell" that I found online.
Curiously it only seems to have worked on some of your pics and not others which is a real mystery to me.
Anyway some are now showing and I'll continue trying with the others if can get them sorted.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Hully » 14 Sep 2017, 15:27

9fingers wrote:Ed, I've been through your earlier photo links and tried to fix them with a "spell" that I found online.
Curiously it only seems to have worked on some of your pics and not others which is a real mystery to me.
Anyway some are now showing and I'll continue trying with the others if can get them sorted.

Bob

Thanks Bob, very kind of you. When I have time I'll try to re-upload them in one long update here, along with some lessons learnt that may help future DIY builders like myself :D
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Sep 2017, 15:45

No problem Ed. in slow time I'm trying to fix the link of the more educational threads on here and we are getting a good collection of workshop builds accumulating to be able to inspire others to take the plunge.
A summary of key lessons learned when you are ready will be more than welcome.
Cheers
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Dan0741 » 15 Sep 2017, 19:21

Hully - Looks fantastic matey - will be finished in no time - well done, love the colour ;)
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Tusses » 20 Sep 2017, 11:24

looking very good, and it sits well where it is :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Hully » 04 Dec 2017, 10:00

Dan0741 wrote:Hully - Looks fantastic matey - will be finished in no time - well done, love the colour ;)

Cheers Dan :)
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Hully » 04 Dec 2017, 10:01

Tusses wrote:looking very good, and it sits well where it is :-)

Thanks Tusses, it sits better back there than I though it would :D
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Hully » 04 Dec 2017, 10:11

Hi All

After another long hiatus (mostly down to the birth of our second daughter) I’ve made a bit more progress on the workshop so thought I’d post what will probably the last update for this year!!

My first job since the last forum post was to make, paint and install the facias and sofits. The facias were made from some treated timber I had lying around from the build. I planned them down, glued them up and then attached a lip to the inside bottom edge so that the soffit has something to sit on. Fitting them by myself proved a challenge but manageable with the aid of a supporting arm that I screwed to a rafter near to one end that acted like a second pair of hands - see below pic.

WS 2.PNG
(1.49 MiB)

After a test fit I gave them a few coats of paint and put them up.

The soffit’s are currently 11mm OSB that I also had lying around. These are just temporary so that I can get the building closed up for the winter and fit the insulation into the roof. Once I have some cash in the spring I’ll get them swapped out for proper PVC soffits.

I then installed the dry verge which happily turned out to be a pretty straightforward task. The roof is now finished, which is a nice milestone to hit and I’m pretty happy with the results given that it was my biggest worry going into the build, mostly because of all the unknowns around having never touched a roof before.

IMG_2269.JPG
(504.04 KiB)

The inflight task right now is the installation of the window. My naivety showed through a bit here as I was surprised when the frame turned up without the double glazing units pre-installed :D God bless YouTube as I now have a pretty good idea of how to install them. So as it stands right now the frame is in and I’ll hopefully have the units in before Christmas which will make the building nice and watertight.

WS 1.PNG
(5.11 MiB)

Money and time permitting I’m hoping to get the guttering done over Christmas so that I can begin work on the inside from January. More updates to follow at my usual, leisurely pace :)

I may also use some downtime over Christmas to compile my first lessons learnt post to cover the external build. I appreciate my updates aren’t as detailed as some on here so I think there are a couple of nuggets of information that I’ve not talked about before that I can pass on.

Have a great Christmas.
Cheers
Hully
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - Autumn Progress

Postby Andyp » 04 Dec 2017, 10:18

Congrats on number 2 daughter and no 1 workshop.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Dec 2017, 10:25

Well done, cracking job!

You tube and the supplier helped show me how to install the glazing units. The best thing to remember, I think, was - installing - start with a short bead and work round long, short and finish with a long - reverse order for taking them out.

Happy Christmas.

Looking Good!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Hully » 05 Dec 2017, 11:35

Andyp wrote:Congrats on number 2 daughter and no 1 workshop.

Cheers Andy...makes for a busy life :D
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Hully » 05 Dec 2017, 11:42

Malc2098 wrote:Well done, cracking job!

You tube and the supplier helped show me how to install the glazing units. The best thing to remember, I think, was - installing - start with a short bead and work round long, short and finish with a long - reverse order for taking them out.

Happy Christmas.

Looking Good!

Thanks Malc. The beads are a bit weird on these windows, only 1 end of each bead is mitred while the other is cut square and then hidden by the mitred end of the next bead. So you actually have to partially install all 4 beads at the same time and then sort of weave the square/mitred ends of the beads before banging them fully home. That's really badly explained, sorry :D

Safe to say I cocked up the first window as I didn't realise one end was square etc so I then had to take them back off which resulted in a lot of swearing and some damaged trim...never mind :eusa-doh:
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Dec 2017, 12:21

Makes sense how you described it, but weird nonetheless!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby DaveL » 05 Dec 2017, 12:40

Mounting the window without the glass makes the job quite easy, for the last workshop I built, I bought some Windows that had been made up the wrong size for a job and were therefore reduced in price. The units were fitted and it took three of us to fit the now heavy frames into the wall.
Your workshop is looking good, getting it weather tight is a big step, the pressure then reduces.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Hully » 26 Feb 2018, 12:03

Hi all

After another hiatus I’m back with my Winter update.

Since my last post I’ve now pretty much finished all the external build elements. The window glazing units have been installed and the door and window frames have been sealed from the outside and tightened up with expanding foam on the inside. I’ve also installed the guttering which was pretty straight forward thanks to YouTube. The only slight hiccup I had was that the bottom dry verge unit protruded out and down quite far, stopping me from bringing the guttering around the side of the workshop at fascia height. So instead I had to make a bit of a dog leg arrangement which looks a bit odd but does the job.

Ext1.JPG
(152.63 KiB)

The final two jobs for the outside (third coat of paint and replacing the temporary OSB soffits with PVC ones) will get done in the spring.

So onto the inside, and the floor. 50mm EcoTherm insulation boards went down, followed by 18mm T&G OSB.

Int2.JPG
(217.88 KiB)

I left a 10mm expansion gap all the way around and glued the boards together using temporary blocks (screwed down) and clamps to hold them together while they dried.

Int3.JPG
(258.49 KiB)

Once dry all the joints were sanded and screw holes/gaps were filled with glue and sawdust.

Int1.JPG
(164.09 KiB)

I then put down two coats of matt floor varnish using a 9” microfibre roller to finish it off. I was amazed by the immediate effect insulating the floor had. Before you could feel the cold coming off the concrete slab but that’s now completely gone and the air temperature is notably less chilly. I’ve also noticed that the heat from the sun stays around much longer and has more of an effect on the air temperature.

Once the floor was finished I then insulated the ceiling, so the workshop is now fully insulated and ready for plasterboard. The plan is now to plasterboard in March, plaster in April, paint and trim out the room in May and get the electrics done in June. Starting to feel like the home straight!

Cheers
Hully
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - Winter Update

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Feb 2018, 12:31

Looking really good! Well done!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Feb 2018, 12:35

:text-+1:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 26 Feb 2018, 12:38

Very smart.

I like that idea for pulling two sheets of flooring tight. :eusa-clap:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Hully » 04 May 2018, 13:57

Hi All

Time for my Spring update :D

When I last left you I was about to start the Plasterboard so...first up was Plasterboarding the walls and ceiling, which turned out to be a relatively simple job. A friend came over to help with the ceiling, which took us around 2 hours to cover with the help of wooden ‘T’ brace (which you can see in the background below) that we wedged between the floor and ceiling to hold up the middle of the board while we held up each end. The brace stopped the board from bowing and breaking in half while we screwed it in place and while doing it this way was a bit of a challenge its actually very doable for anyone thinking of doing something similar.

IMG_26271.jpg
(261.87 KiB)

I then trimmed out the loft hatch and window sill using some CLS I had to hand

IMG_2683.JPG
(208.88 KiB)

The Plasterers then came in and did their stuff, leaving behind a very messy floor.

IMG_2702.JPG
(131.89 KiB)

After brushing, washing down and sanding the floor I then put down another two layers of varnish.

IMG_2731.JPG
(206.95 KiB)

IMG_2732.JPG
(169.26 KiB)

Painting and skirting/architrave is next on the to do list and then hopefully the electrics at the end of June ready to move in in July.

Cheers
Hully
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build - Spring Update

Postby Mike G » 04 May 2018, 14:32

Bloody hell, it's the Tardis. Yuuuuuge inside.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 May 2018, 17:50

Nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 04 May 2018, 19:18