It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:28

Tims workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Tims workshop - walls raised

Postby timothyedoran » 28 May 2017, 10:16

I have made quite a lot of progress without too much time spent. All the frames have been constructed and raised.

Here is a couple of photos of the completed frames. For the front frame I did not complete it fully because I realised it would be too heavy to lift.

The it was time to raise the walls. Before I moved each wall I squared and braced them.

I was quite surprised that it all lined up square and plumb. I thought that there would be more faffing around. It seems magic does exist.

My partner also spotted an old door in a garden. She asked the builders if it was looking for a new home and they said help yourself. I retrieved if using the wheel barrow rather than trying to load it on to the car roof. It's 900mm wide and quite heavy. I think my back is paying the price today.

timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Re: Tims workshop

Postby Malc2098 » 28 May 2017, 11:21

Up she goes!!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Crispylettuce » 28 May 2017, 22:14

Great progress!

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 28 May 2017, 23:03

Looking good

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 May 2017, 20:42

I dunno.......I go away for 5 minutes and someone sticks a shed up. ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 30 May 2017, 20:57

Mike G wrote:I dunno.......I go away for 5 minutes and someone sticks a shed up. ;)

It really didn't take much longer than that. I erected the frames in my lunch break in 40 minutes. I reckon that might be the only quick and easy part of the job.
timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby timothyedoran » 16 Jul 2017, 23:03

Well it turned out that the door was too heavy and I had to take a couple of weeks out for my back to recover. In the meantime I have made a musical roots instrument which I will show in another thread.

My mate helped lift the boards up. Many thanks to him, as I couldn't have done it on my own.

I have now boarded out the roof and ordered EPDM roofing and loads of insulation.

I made a sled to make the rip cuts easy peasy. I didn't have a long enough scrap board so I had to place the sled, cut and repeat. But now I have a couple of 2.4m scraps to make a new longer one.

By the way Travis Perkins wanted £35 + vat per sheet of 18mm OSB. I nearly died of laughter at the counter when he said he could do any better. Build base was £17 Inc vat. Won't ever bother with tp again.

Hedges to be trimmed back considerably, but also without upsetting my partner. I think the bay needs removing...

I am off to the wood yard vastern to buy wood for the fascias tomorrow morning. The. Working from home waiting for the roof to arrive by courier.

I realise I need some better photos of the complete roof. Watch this space.

Apologies to non Tapatalk users if the images don't work. Mike are you still having issues?

This was nearly my first post without a question. Better luck next time.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby timothyedoran » 16 Jul 2017, 23:09

Grrrrr apparently the OSB should be laid writing side down. Lucky I haven't finished screwing them down.

Will it make any difference and do I really need to flip every sheet over?

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 17 Jul 2017, 06:59

No, doesn't make a jot of difference. Don't bother changing anything.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 17 Jul 2017, 07:04

Mike G wrote:No, doesn't make a jot of difference. Don't bother changing anything.

Phew. It would be feasible but would take so much time. Both sides of the osb feel the same to me

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby timothyedoran » 23 Aug 2017, 23:07

I have had a busy couple of months and made some progress on the workshed.
Firstly the insulation is in the process of being fitted. I ended up buying celotex type boards. They are seconds from seconds and co and are half sheets which have a taper from 90mm on one side to 70mm on the other. I worried for a couple of weeks as to whether it would be suitable or a pain to fit. It actually just fine. I have done three walls and a quarter of the roof. It seems to cut best with an old handsaw and friction fit. Anyway here are some photos.
ImageImage

The other thing I have finished is fitting the EPDM roof. I bought it from http://www.permaroofstore.co.uk . It was a bit cheaper than rubber4roofs who have plagued my YouTube ads for the last 6 months. Customer service was great. They forgot to include polypin nails but posted them for next day when reminded. I would recommend them.
I went for the thicker rubber as it was only £1 more on special offer.
I had help fitting it, and would not have enjoyed doing it alone. I thought it would take a couple of hours bit took 5 or 6 including doing the trims. It would have been tricky so say the least to do alone.

The gutter drip edge was almost a bit sweary to fit as it is a two part with the rubber wrapping around the two parts. It's hard to explain but makes for a good neat drip edge. I got a bit of excess glue on the rubber and this stopped the plastic sliding over the rubber. I used some flour in lieu of talc to remove the stickyness.

There are no air bubbles yet and fingers crossed there won't be any.

Evidence:

Look who has taken up residence in the shed. He/she keeps spinning amazing webs right at head height. But they are rare, so are welcome to share my garden.

I have bought the gutter, I just need to find half an hour to fit it.

Next is to finish the insulation, wrap the outside and buy the inside lining. Wickes is closest to me and do 9mm OSB. Will that be suitable lining or should I go 12mm?

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 24 Aug 2017, 07:59

9mm is fine. Be sure to leave a small gap (I use a nail as a spacer) between adjacent boards.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 24 Aug 2017, 09:26

Cheers Mike. I used nail spacers on the roof, but thanks for the reminder.

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Aug 2017, 09:31

looking good!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 24 Aug 2017, 10:27

Yes looking good
What type of rare spider are they?
We have a colony of these a few miles away:

http://mobile.wildlifetrusts.org/site/w ... rrer=#3038

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 24 Aug 2017, 10:32

Tidy job on the roof Tim, I used the same supplier and was happy with the product and service. My roof does have a few air bubbles in it, but the guys confirmed it's harmless - just the cosmetics. It's a very easy product to install given its lifespan too. I see you went for the premium trim too which I think finishes the look nicely. Good work!
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Aug 2017, 10:40

yes well done Tim. Looks great from here.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby timothyedoran » 24 Aug 2017, 13:09

Rod wrote:Yes looking good
What type of rare spider are they?
We have a colony of these a few miles away:

http://mobile.wildlifetrusts.org/site/w ... rrer=#3038

Rod

The spider is araneus angulatus. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneus_angulatus

The wasp spider looks very interesting.

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby timothyedoran » 09 Oct 2017, 15:09

I have been quiet for a while because I have not had much time to put into the workshed.

The building is wrapped in leftovers roof membrane I had been squirreling away. I had about 1m to spare. How lucky. It was a really fun and quick part of the job.

The insulation on the walls is now done. The floor insulation is part done. Ideally need to get the floor and OSB wall sheets as I am running out of space to move around inside.

I have also fitted the windows. They need some packing wedges on the sides and top but is basically in. I left the window stood outside for 6 months upside down. It filled with water and turned really bad. Super smelly green water. I took bits apart and gave it a good clean. I am debating whether to paint the frame or stick with boring white upvc.

Guttering is fitted, but I need to direct the water somewhere sensible rather than 6ft away into a tree.

I now have a building that is lockable and watertight (ish)ImageImage

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Oct 2017, 15:34

Getting there!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby timothyedoran » 24 Jan 2018, 21:44

I have been quietly getting on with the build. It is now floored, insulated, lined, and has an extra window.

I realised almost as soon as I had wrapped the building that it was going to be too dark. So have fitted another window. It catches the morning sun and provides a nice amount of light.

I have a spare window going for free. Details here, but free for forum members https://www.gumtree.com/p/doors-windows/upvc-double-glazed-window/1283037853

See the before and after pics.
ImageImage

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby DaveL » 24 Jan 2018, 21:48

That is coming along nicely.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby timothyedoran » 24 Jan 2018, 21:51

I seem to have forgotten to take photos of the floor. But it is 22mm chipboard. I need to lay something cost effective to protect it from mud and wet bikes.
Any suggestions for cost effective solutions?
Once the floor was laid I cracked on with lining with 9mm OSB. It took 12 sheets without much wastage. I have to remember to return the spare sheet to wickes.ImageImage

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Jan 2018, 21:56

Looking good!

Thanks, you're reminding me to finish lining the inside of mine!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby timothyedoran » 24 Jan 2018, 21:57

It's really hard to take a photo of the inside of a wooden box as there is no perception of depth. Here are some slightly rubbish photos.

I have been experimenting with a hanging bike rack with sliding hooks. Don't know if it's a goer or not yet.

Next steps are finish screwing the lining. What distance apart should the screws be? I was doing 400mm spacing but that.mihht be a bit stingy.

Then it will be back outside to fit battons, mesh and cladding.ImageImageImageImageImage

timothyedoran
Sapling

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds