It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:35

Tims workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Tims workshop

Postby timothyedoran » 02 Mar 2017, 11:07

Unfortunately I was not quick enough. The skip had been emptied before I arrived. Probably a good thing really as I haven't got anywhere to store it before I dig out the hole.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Mar 2017, 23:39

Thanks, Mike!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby timothyedoran » 05 Mar 2017, 00:01

So I have been playing around with onshape and have sort of made a plan of what I want. I got to the 'im happy and this has taken ages, I hope I don't have to make any changes' stage when my partner suggested that maybe the front would be better being the lower side of the building. I.e 180 degrees from what I have planned.

I thought it would be simple to rejig it, but I don't think that it will be possible to fit a standard door frame (2080mm) in the low end. It's amazing how the height gets eaten up with the roof beams, framing etc. This means I would have to custom make a door frame and maybe a door rather than buying a second had door. I had to do that for the back door on my house by adapting a hardwood door frame kit. It took longer than I would have liked.

I will post an update when there is a winner. I am not hopeful about my chances vs my partner.

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby Rod » 05 Mar 2017, 04:59

Why slope the roof that way, why not slope front to back?
I think it will look better that way and not cause any construction issues.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 05 Mar 2017, 09:47

She wants it low end at the front so that it will look smaller to our neighbour. Our garden is an odd shape. We live in a terrace of 4 and the two middle houses have their gardens at the back and the end houses have their gardens at the side.
We are a middle house which means that our workshop will actually be outside the back of the neighbours. It can't go anywhere else due to our garden design.
It's complicated and I have probably lost you.

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby Deejay » 05 Mar 2017, 11:53

Morning Tim

I've emailed you about some free hardcore.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 05 Mar 2017, 15:31

This is so frustrating! I can't see any images hosted by Tapatalk. Therefore I have no idea what Tim is proposing.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Mar 2017, 15:59

Mike have you tried a different browser? Looks to me like tapatalk is still running TLS1.0 which Google have deemed to have too many vulnerabilities and as such have stopped supporting. Other browsers are less fussy so might work for you...

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 05 Mar 2017, 16:13

Mike G wrote:This is so frustrating! I can't see any images hosted by Tapatalk. Therefore I have no idea what Tim is proposing.

Mike Give me a few minutes to clean up from the workshop and I'll copy them for you. Better make that an hour lol as glue ups have a habit to taking longer than they should lol

Mark has tracked the problem to a potential security issue between certain versions of Chrome and certain versions of tapatalk but not identified a solution for you. There is nothing wrong at the forum end.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 05 Mar 2017, 16:27

There you go Mike

They are in the drop box or direct link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jv2nd26a6xy4 ... WcTTa?dl=0

I will try and keep the folder up to date but you know what the real solution is :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby timothyedoran » 05 Mar 2017, 16:29

Mike, what about this. Can you see it?

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 05 Mar 2017, 17:52

Yep. Loud and clear. :D
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 05 Mar 2017, 17:54

TrimTheKing wrote:Mike have you tried a different browser?.......

Too much faffing about with autofill passwords to bother changing browsers. I only swapped to Chrome because Opera and Firefox were both stuffing up my yahoo mail.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Mar 2017, 18:02

Mike G wrote:

Too much faffing about with autofill passwords to bother changing browsers. I only swapped to Chrome because Opera and Firefox were both stuffing up my yahoo mail.

There is a message there Mike. Perhaps you should consider dumping yahoo for mail especially if you rely on it professionally
Having your own domain and mail host wont cost you very much at all.
I think mine is about £8 every two years for a .org.uk domain.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby timothyedoran » 05 Mar 2017, 18:05

9fingers wrote:
Mike G wrote:

There is a message there Mike. Perhaps you should consider dumping yahoo for mail especially if you rely on it professionally
Having your own domain and mail host wont cost you very much at all.
I think mine is about £8 every two years for a .org.uk domain.
Bob

Could be worse. He could be using AOL.

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Mar 2017, 18:06

Mike G wrote:

You can have more than one browser and just use the other for the forum...

Your choice but I'm almost certain that the issue is Google are enforcing their security level on the world unnecessarily and Tapatalk are not, so no other browser, no Tapatalk hosted pics.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 05 Mar 2017, 18:36

I dumped Yahoo 6 months ago. I should have dumped it 3 years ago. Life is much less stressful now (I used to have to ring people to check they'd received my emails!!).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Mar 2017, 19:49

Mike G wrote:I dumped Yahoo 6 months ago. I should have dumped it 3 years ago. Life is much less stressful now (I used to have to ring people to check they'd received my emails!!).

Glad to hear that Mike. I help run a few groups using the yahoo groups software and it is pretty awful. If it were down to me I'd dump yahoo and find something else to host the groups but that is not in my gift.

@Tim, I had no idea that AOL were still going. Their service has been pants for a very long time.

Cheers
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby timothyedoran » 05 Mar 2017, 20:49

9fingers wrote:
Mike G wrote:I dumped Yahoo 6 months ago. I should have dumped it 3 years ago. Life is much less stressful now (I used to have to ring people to check they'd received my emails!!).

Glad to hear that Mike. I help run a few groups using the yahoo groups software and it is pretty awful. If it were down to me I'd dump yahoo and find something else to host the groups but that is not in my gift.

@Tim, I had no idea that AOL were still going. Their service has been pants for a very long time.

Cheers
Bob

I wasn't sure either, bit it looks like it has mostly shut down. But it has reminded me of the modem noise, when connecting to the information super highway

timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby timothyedoran » 10 Apr 2017, 14:21

I have been busy but not getting much further with the workshed. I had to rebuild a wall before I was allowed to start another project. It started to fall down so I pushed it over before it fell on someone. It took a lot of work to rebuild it, but I am reasonably happy with the results.

Then my father made a good suggestion about putting the workshed somewhere else. We didnt realise how nice the wall was, until we moved the old shed away from the wall. So this meant that I have had to move the old shed back almost where it was before. I hope I dont change my mind again.

Anyway, I have also been thinking about the base, and the amount of work required to make a concrete base. I dont really like concrete due to the environmental impact. So I am now thinking of a suspended floor instead, and loose a bit of headroom. I intend to have a concrete ring :o with bricks above ground level

I have been having a look at Malcolm's build and have seen his sketch as below:

Would the following work, for me? The only difference is that Malcolms design has two blocks upright and I propose one laying down. This would match closely with how much I need to dig down harder ground under the topsoil, aprox 0.35m

website for uploading photos
timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 10 Apr 2017, 16:09

I feel that you ought to make sure the cladding overlaps the outer brickwork to give a drip rail for the rain.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 10 Apr 2017, 16:11

In principle, yes, but note the following:

-the block shelf should support a girding beam, with the joists hanging off that. The joists themselves don't rest on the masonry shelf.

-your dimensions don't allow for a mortar course (10mm)

-you don't need the Type 1 below the concrete, but as the concrete is your entire foundation, 150 is too thin for my liking, even if you reinforce it. What sort of ground are you in, and are there any trees near by?

-vents will need to be designed in to permit airflow below the joists. Sketch in where you think they will be going.

-the 150 floor joist depth will very much depend upon the span of your proposed building. Can you remind me what that is?
Last edited by Mike G on 10 Apr 2017, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 10 Apr 2017, 16:18

9fingers wrote:I feel that you ought to make sure the cladding overlaps the outer brickwork to give a drip rail for the rain.

Don't worry Bob. This is the same detail as per my workshop. With the counterbattens and wedges at the bottom, the boards just overhang the brick plinth. Indeed, the whole point of the 50mm blockwork inner skin is to avoid the nasty overhang that you see on ill-thought-through buildings, plus of course it adds a bit of insulation to a solid wall.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 10 Apr 2017, 16:19

9fingers wrote:I feel that you ought to make sure the cladding overlaps the outer brickwork to give a drip rail for the rain.

Bob

Yes you are correct. I forgot to draw in the triangular batten thing to kick the cladding out.
timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby timothyedoran » 10 Apr 2017, 16:37

Mike G wrote:In principle, yes, but note the following:

-the block shelf should support a girding beam, with the joists hanging off that. The joists themselves don't rest on the masonry shelf.

I thought that I had shown that. The griding beam is shown in profile, as coloured green. Is that correct?

Mike G wrote:-your dimensions don't allow for a mortar course (10mm)

Bother, this drawing marlarkey is hard. I think that the dimensions still work with the additional mortar courses. Do you agree?

Mike G wrote:-you don't need the Type 1 below the concrete, but as the concrete is your entire foundation, 150 is too thin for my liking, even if you reinforce it. What sort of ground are you in, and are there any trees near by?

Does that mean that I just need more concrete, in place of mot1?
No trees near by. There is about .35m top soil, then harder stoney stuff below. I dont know quite how to describe it, what should I be looking for. It looks like this:

Mike G wrote:-vents will need to be designed in to permit airflow below the joists. Sketch in where you think they will be going.

There will be air bricks in the middle course of bricks, in the same way that you showed in another design.

Any help in designing something sensible would be appreciated. Thanks everyone for your continued help, this is a steep learning curve
timothyedoran
Sapling

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds