It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:12

Mark's Workshop/Garage

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Mark's Workshop/Garage

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Sep 2017, 11:08

Wow! But it will be worth it in the end.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby spearos » 08 Oct 2017, 21:43

Little update - site cleared, well it was! There is a load of compacted scalpings and sand there now, concrete should be going down this week. Then, hopefully things will start moving a little quicker!

My mind is currently occupied by thoughts around the framing. The walls should be straight forward enough, it's the roof that vexes me, more precisely the gable above the big doors.
I have, however a plan. A bit of a twist on Mike's earlier advice (below).

Mike G wrote:
Given the loadings on a ridge beam are almost entirely vertical, (if the walls were forced apart by the un-tied rafters the ridge beam would be dragged directly downwards) one has to resist that vertical force. Now, this is most easily done with a post. However, if we are relying on the rafters at the gable (as we would be at the gable above the lintel over the big door opening) to hold the ridge beam up, we need a suitable junction between the rafters and the ridge such that an elephant sitting on the ridge board at that end wouldn't push the ridge down out of connection with the rafter ends. There are lots of ways to achieve this. One of them is to have an upside-down birdsmouth, so that the ridge beam physically sits on part of the rafter. Unfortunately, given your timber sizes, this wont work.

What I suggest is this:

Bolt a piece of 195x45 hard up underneath the ridge beam at the gable rafter location.

Further, as you don't want to be throwing load onto the lintel below, the end rafters should be doubled up, and nailed together (alternately top and bottom edge, max 500 C's). This is going to complicate your OSB lining somewhat.

The other end can be dealt with as per mine, with a post under the ridge beam. This should be directly above a stud in the wall (in other words, when you set your wall out, you need to put a stud exactly in the centre). The rafter only need be a single pair, not doubled.

What I'm thinking is two pairs of rafters and sandwiched between them two/three ties. One hard against the underside of the ridge beam, one mid way along rafters and one towards the bottom of the rafters.
Why? Well this strikes me as being an incredibly strong 'A frame' to support the ridge.The ties also provide a face to mount vertical timbers which, as well as adding strength they will provide fixing points for the FE boards to (The vertical timbers when mounted will be flush with the outer pair of rafters).This arrangement also fits nicely with the corner detail on my wall framing plan.
Big question is however, is this adequate? Will it work? Opinions please kind people!..

I've made use of the kid's pencils in an attempt to make more sense (drawings not to scale or anything)! -

Wall framing corner detail, viewed with wall plates removed for clarity. Each rafter is directly above a 'stud'
"the true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"
spearos
New Shoots

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 09 Oct 2017, 20:49

"Is this adequate?"

Yes. More than......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby spearos » 09 Oct 2017, 21:03

Mike G wrote:"Is this adequate?"

Yes. More than......

I was hoping to hear from you Mike :D I also had a suspicion it would be deemed overkill, but belt and braces is my style! ;)

I thank you (once again) :obscene-drinkingcheers:
spearos
New Shoots

Postby spearos » 08 Nov 2017, 21:26

A well over due update...

I have concrete -

I had some Albanian builders in to do this (the cheapest by some margin), they worked hard and got it done quickly. However there are a couple of minor issues, but I guess you get what you pay for and all that. With hindsight I wish I had actually done it myself.

I have also laid some blocks -

I took my time getting the string lines set up, so they're straight and square, just they're not pretty. I do plan to paint them at a later date though. What really surprised me is how much hard work it is! Spending the whole day working at ankle height meant my back and legs suffered!

Currently putting together an order for timber then things will hopefully really start moving along (plenty more photos too :D ).

Mark
spearos
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2017, 21:38

Looks like that slab won't be going anywhere!

A great start!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby spearos » 08 Nov 2017, 21:50

Now, I need some advice from you clever people :P

As I said in my last post I am putting together an order for the timber framing and I just wanted to check a few things;

Double studs for the door and window apertures?

Ridge beam - I'm thinking 9'x2' for a vaulted ceiling and span of ~6.5m?

Rafters - by my calculations I will have 6162mm between the 'first' and 'last' pair, which means another nine pairs at ~616mm centres. Would this be ok? Or would I be better off with 10 pairs at ~560mm centres?

As always, all input very welcome and gratefully received :text-thankyoublue:
spearos
New Shoots

Postby spearos » 08 Nov 2017, 21:53

9fingers wrote:Looks like that slab won't be going anywhere!

A great start!

Bob

Hopefully! The photo is a little deceiving - the ground surrounding *that* corner is a lot lower, so the heel of the concrete there is subsequently a lot bigger than on the other edges!

The 'middle' is 150mm thick with steel mesh, just in case! ;)
spearos
New Shoots

Postby Mike G » 08 Nov 2017, 21:56

Remind me what's going on your roof? This will make all the difference to your rafter spacing.

Double studs?..........Sort of. One is a full height stud, and then inside that is the cripple stud which supports the lintel. So yes, there are two bits of wood side-by-side, but technically only one of them is a stud. If you have big heavy doors consider adding extra noggins either side of the opening to help stiffen everything up.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Nov 2017, 21:58

Looking good, Mark. My legs and back shared your pain!!

Advice given to me was that rafters, given appropriate width and thickness, should be a common denominator fraction of the width of the sheathing apart. By that, if the sheathing is coming out of 2400 x 1200 sheets, the the rafter should sit at 600mm centres, apart from the two end ones.....I think.

That way, you should never have to cut a sheet width to fit onto the rafters.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2017, 22:05

Before adopting a non standard pitch for your timbers, work out some details of your cladding for both walls and roofing and set the pitch to be convenient for the cladding. Usually 600mm (or 400) centres works well and just put an odd one in to make up the final dimensions.

Usually the rafters will sit over vertical studs to transfer the roof load onto the dwarf walls. Other wise you might need to beef up wall plates unnecessarily.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby spearos » 08 Nov 2017, 22:16

Mike G wrote:Remind me what's going on your roof? This will make all the difference to your rafter spacing.

Vaulted ceiling, with a structural ridge beam. Both gables being a truss, because a king post isn't an option - the big door and a window will be directly under ridge at either end. Truss design as per my earlier drawing -

Mike G wrote:Double studs?..........Sort of. One is a full height stud, and then inside that is the cripple stud which supports the lintel. So yes, there are two bits of wood side-by-side, but technically only one of them is a stud. If you have big heavy doors consider adding extra noggins either side of the opening to help stiffen everything up.

I get you! That's what I meant - basically copying the way you did the apertures on your build!

Nice tip about the noggins either side of the big door - thanks. As the wall plate will be the top of the big door aperture (no cripple studs), is there any point doubling up the studs either side of the big door? I plan to sit the lintel (doubled up 8x2s, one being the bottom chord of the truss) on the wall plate.
spearos
New Shoots

Postby Mike G » 08 Nov 2017, 22:24

Yep, double them up anyway. You neither want a door to hang on just a single stud, nor to shut against a single stud. There's too much movement.

I meant what is your roof covering going to be? Tiles, rubber, Onduline, felt, crinkly tin.........
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby spearos » 08 Nov 2017, 22:24

Thank you Bob and Malcolm - I do plan on the wall frame studs being set out to minimise cutting of OSB for the internal cladding (external will be FE boards in continuous lengths so stud spacing not so critical for those. However it didn't cross my mind to think about how the rafter spacings fit with the Onduline roof sheets I plan to use.

More to frazzle my head with....

Edit: I guess this answers your question Mike - Onduline, with the view of slates at a later date (when the Onduline gives up).
spearos
New Shoots

Postby spearos » 08 Nov 2017, 22:43

spearos wrote:However it didn't cross my mind to think about how the rafter spacings fit with the Onduline roof sheets I plan to use.

There is a reason why I didn't think about it - I'll be using purlins to mount the Onduline, so the the rafter spacing doesnt necessarily need to be matched to Onduline sheet size.... I think :eusa-doh:

Edit: But then there is the mounting of the internal OSB to the underside of the rafters..... I should shut up, and just think about it!!
spearos
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 08 Nov 2017, 23:00

OK but maybe careful rafter spacing will make insulation easier too

Worth thinking through the steps now rather than later?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Nov 2017, 23:10

Mark,

I found that I couldn't visualise my thoughts. So I learned to use Sketchup. You are drawing your some of your ideas, and other guys use different CAD apps.

The stages you've just gone through, the rafters, the Onduline, the purlins, the wall frames and the vertical studs, would freak me out, if I didn't have a way of recording the idea.

So I drew my ideas in Sketchup, and if they didn't fit, I'd find a way to make them fit by drawing/modelling them.

I would advise you to draw your ideas to find out what doesn't work. that way, you'll find out what does work. It doesn't really matter what app you use, whatever works for you.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 09 Nov 2017, 00:14

Firstly, you don't have a choice if you only have a single plate: your rafters must sit above your studs. However, if you double the top plate, your rafters can go anywhere. The usual practice is to space them according to set centres (400, 600, or occasionally 450), and have a narrower gap at one end of the roof. This is because there is usually some sheet material involved. In your case, you'll be lining the underside of the rafters with something. Generally, boards are 1200 x 2400, so you space the rafters to suit that. Sometimes you find that the board is imperial (1220 x 2440), and so you might space them out accordingly.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby spearos » 09 Nov 2017, 21:11

9fingers wrote:OK but maybe careful rafter spacing will make insulation easier too

Worth thinking through the steps now rather than later?

Bob

Exactly Bob, hence airing my thoughts/quandaries on here and getting the opinions of kind, experienced people like yourself :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Malc2098 wrote:Mark,

I found that I couldn't visualise my thoughts. So I learned to use Sketchup. You are drawing your some of your ideas, and other guys use different CAD apps.

The stages you've just gone through, the rafters, the Onduline, the purlins, the wall frames and the vertical studs, would freak me out, if I didn't have a way of recording the idea.

So I drew my ideas in Sketchup, and if they didn't fit, I'd find a way to make them fit by drawing/modelling them.

I would advise you to draw your ideas to find out what doesn't work. that way, you'll find out what does work. It doesn't really matter what app you use, whatever works for you.

Wise words and I appreciate your advice. However I do have a great big folder of sketches, notes, print offs etc etc. It seems I spend every waking hour thinking about my build and mentally building it.
I did have a play with sketch up but for me it meant a lot of time learning the software, time that I really do not have at the moment.

Mike G wrote:Firstly, you don't have a choice if you only have a single plate: your rafters must sit above your studs. However, if you double the top plate, your rafters can go anywhere. The usual practice is to space them according to set centres (400, 600, or occasionally 450), and have a narrower gap at one end of the roof. This is because there is usually some sheet material involved. In your case, you'll be lining the underside of the rafters with something. Generally, boards are 1200 x 2400, so you space the rafters to suit that. Sometimes you find that the board is imperial (1220 x 2440), and so you might space them out accordingly.

I will be using OSB to clad the underside of the roof and I know my preferred supplier's OSB sheets are 1220. So as per your advice I will set the rafter centres to suit, with a narrow gap at one end, where the trimmed OSB sheets will go.

Could I please have your thoughts on the suitability of a 9x2 ridge beam please Mike?
spearos
New Shoots

Postby Mike G » 10 Nov 2017, 00:30

9x2 won't span 6.5 metres. You'll struggle to even find a piece that long, for a start.

No, you'll either need a couple of ties to help it out, or make use of a principle truss at the midpoint, halving the span.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby spearos » 10 Nov 2017, 14:31

Mike G wrote:No, you'll either need a couple of ties to help it out, or make use of a principle truss at the midpoint, halving the span.

Would collar ties suffice? Fixed hard up against the underside of the ridge (as per your earlier drawing)?

Correct me if I'm wrong but a principle truss would severely restrict head room for raising a vehicle?
spearos
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 10 Nov 2017, 15:13

Maybe consider a RSJ for the ridge. With suitable design you could run a chain hoist from it too.

Definitely structural engineer territory though.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 10 Nov 2017, 15:31

spearos wrote:
Mike G wrote:No, you'll either need a couple of ties to help it out, or make use of a principle truss at the midpoint, halving the span.

Would collar ties suffice? Fixed hard up against the underside of the ridge (as per your earlier drawing)?

Correct me if I'm wrong but a principle truss would severely restrict head room for raising a vehicle?

No, collar ties aren't going to help much in this situation. A principle truss could have a raised tie, but a third of the way up the rafter length is about the highest you can go without getting an engineer involved. Bob's right. We're into RSJ or Glulam territory if you want a vaulted ceiling with structural ridge 20 feet long, and they will need designing by a structural engineer.

My earlier drawing related to gable with a big opening in it, lined with OSB. That solution can't be applied along the whole roof.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby spearos » 10 Nov 2017, 22:37

Thank you Bob and Mike.

It seems I have been incredibly naive. Doubts have even crept into my head whether I should be attempting something like this. I feel overwhelmed. I sincerely appreciate the patience of you guys - what with all my questions and lack of knowledge/experience.

I will push on though...

My immediate reaction is that I do not want to go down the structural engineer route, I imagine it will add significant cost to the build as well as holding up the build further.
So, I am exploring the principle truss idea and how much head room that would give me. With regard to the max 'height' of the raised tie being one third up the rafters, is this measurement from the birdsmouth plumb to the centre of the tie?
spearos
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 10 Nov 2017, 22:49

The "third" is only a rule of thumb. If you take the height of the ridge (underside) and subtract the height of the top if the wall plate and divide that by three, you will be about right to get the height of the tie.
Using the principle of similar triangles, that will put the tie 1/3rd of the way along the rafter too.

You might get away with it a smidge higher (40%) but the rafters might have to go up a size so a lot more timber for 100-200mm more height.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds