It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:58

Planning permission for temporary buildings

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Planning permission for temporary buildings

Postby the bear » 19 Apr 2017, 15:56

Not sure this is the right place but seems to be where most PP discussion takes place. I'm soon to undertake a major house renovation. Can anyone point me to docs that cover plannng permission for temporary buildings while that building work goes on. All would be removed at the completion of the build or even before the end. The PP docs in the stickies don't cover temp stuff as far as I can see and google hasn't been my friend so far
Many thanks
Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Re: Planning permission for temporary buildings

Postby timothyedoran » 19 Apr 2017, 16:04

Start here https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/2 ... n_projects and then phone your local pp department at the council

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby the bear » 19 Apr 2017, 16:54

Tim
Thanks, i've already been on that page and many others on the planning portal. Can't find info on temporary buildings, not saying it's not there just that I can't find it.
I'm trying to arm myself with info before I call the planners if that becomes necessary
Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 Apr 2017, 17:23

Are these buildings associated with the building works, such as site huts, materials stores, and so on? Or are they accommodation?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 19 Apr 2017, 19:52

We'll to be honest I'm considering both. Definitely site hut and store. But I've been advised to move out for a bit and camping in a temporary shed is appealing as I can be on site every day and for security as there's not many accommodation options where I live

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 Apr 2017, 20:19

Temporary accommodation will normally require Planning Permission. Otherwise you are effectively creating 2 residences rather than one. Site buildings may need permission, but may not. The big deal with those is usually protection of trees, and the height, where portacabins may be stacked 3 high. I'd phone your council and check. Don't take tree protection lightly, as the fines can run into tens of thousands of pounds.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 20 Apr 2017, 09:26

Thanks mike
There is no issues with trees and not looking for any higher than a normal shed
Not that I can get one in due to access but curious to know if caravans/statics need pp during building work?

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 20 Apr 2017, 12:27

Certainly, if you are intending living in it. Possibly, if they are just site huts, but are going to be in place for a long time, or are in a sensitive location. Ring the planners. They'll ask for a sketch site plan showing the caravan location, and they want to know what their purpose is.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 20 Apr 2017, 16:17

In my limited experience of building control and planning department in Wiltshire is they are helpful and professional and i would not hesitate to phone them with a question.

Their limitation is that the planning department won't give pre-advice for a specific site without a fee. They will answer questions about how to interpret the rules in general.

I spent ages guessing about what being in a local conservation area meant. I phoned planning and they quickly told me there were no restrictions on permitted development for outbuildings. I in effect wasted my time when a call would have answered it in 5 minutes.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Return to Workshop Builds