It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:36

wizer's Workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

wizer's Workshop

Postby wizer » 23 Jul 2017, 15:38

Build Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ydOJ0UDQPAfNszFa2

Oh Hi, I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. GPS Wasn't working. You know how it is...

How is everyone? It's been quite a while! :oops:

So I'm about to embark on building a workshop. It's not my workshop, I'm sharing it with LOML, who is keen to assist me in building all sorts of stuff for our new house.

We are in an AONB, so whilst this isn't a huge workshop, it still needed planning permission. That's all been approved (though not without upsetting the neighbours!) and it's time to get going. I'm building along with help from LOML & the father-in-law. Together we make up the equivalent of 1.25 fit persons :D

You won't be surprised to hear that notorious workshop build advisor Mike G has been involved. He's been helping us with a much bigger project on our house and has also provided me with drawings on the workshop.

This is what it will hopefully look like

*except I need to change the window and door sizes a bit. More on that later.

I'd had the site skimmed off and roughly levelled a few weeks ago while we had a digger in for other reasons. So this weekend we started on the concrete formwork. Sadly rain stopped play both days, so we didn't get far.

The frame is screwed together and all 4 corners squared. The next job is to tease the long edges straight and get some stakes in. Then it'll need to be levelled. I didn't have the luxury of choosing the 2x8's, so a couple are a little twisted and bowed, so not looking forward to getting them straight. :eusa-think:

I've got 4 bags of hardcore and 2 bags of sand coming tomorrow. I might get some time in the week after work to continue play, but likely won't be until next weekend.

Bit nervous about this concrete base. Good fun, but not something I've done before and it has to be right. :eusa-pray:
Last edited by wizer on 30 Sep 2017, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Re: wizer's Workshop

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jul 2017, 16:56

Hello there young man, lovely to see you again! :eusa-dance:

Looks like a decent sized space there mate, bet you can't wait to get going.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 23 Jul 2017, 17:20

Hey Tom! Good to see you here. I'm off out now, but I'll catch up with this later.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Jul 2017, 17:32

Hi Tom, and welcome aboard. I hope you feel as welcome here as you made as all feel on the old Woodhaven.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Jul 2017, 18:38

Welcome from Devon!

Currently fitting PIR insulation into the roof before fitting sheathing.

Bet you finish before I do!!!

:D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby wizer » 23 Jul 2017, 19:09

Malc2098 wrote:Bet you finish before I do!!!

You wouldn't want shake on that!
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jul 2017, 20:02

Welcome home Tom.
It's good see you back and with your creative juices flowing!

Very Best Wishes

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 23 Jul 2017, 20:13

Hi Tom - onwards and upwards

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Jul 2017, 21:17

wizer wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:Bet you finish before I do!!!

You wouldn't want shake on that!

Applied for PP April 2016 and granted 8 weeks later!

Then I started!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby DaveL » 23 Jul 2017, 22:10

Hi Tom,

It's good to see you again.

That looks like a nice workshop, please keep posting the pictures of your progress.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby the bear » 23 Jul 2017, 22:41

Wow, blast from the past and all that.
Best wishes with the workshop.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby chataigner » 24 Jul 2017, 07:31

That's a good size workshop - keep the photos coming. Good luck with the concrete.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Mike G » 24 Jul 2017, 08:13

We got back late........

I'll start with a tip. It can be really difficult to accurately drive small posts into the ground. Trying to knock one in along a long length of 8x2 such that it helps correct a bend or a twist is likely to prove impossible, or at least, frustrating. Years of cocking this up eventually led me to bashing them in at a distance, (in all but the very easiest ground) and then screwing a piece of wood across from the peg to the board. This arrangement works really well for aligning the boards properly, but not for getting their height right. For this, you can try ad hoc arrangements of off cuts and wedges underneath the boards (screw them in place so you don't accidentally kick them out of position).......or.........you can try a peg knocked in alongside the board, but only after you've finished aligning the sides with the technique I described above.

Finally, if you don't have good access for the concrete delivery and you are using barrows or a dumper, then reinforced the formwork in the area/s where you'll be tipping the concrete, because it will take a bashing, thus buggering up your levels and line if you're not careful.

You've squared the corners.........have you checked the diagonals?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wizer » 24 Jul 2017, 10:10

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It's good to be back.

Mike, I came to the same conclusion on the stakes at a distance. However, I can't do that on the far, long edge as the soil is nearly as high as the top of the boards.

I'm thinking steel stakes or short lengths of rebar would be easier to pound into the ground. In the US they have stakes with holes drilled in for screwing through, but I can't seem to find them over here. :eusa-think:

I was going to get the diagonals right next.
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby wizer » 24 Jul 2017, 11:36

Anyone have experience of air nail guns? I need one for the framing stage. I'm looking at this one:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sil ... --12-Gauge

Wouldn't normally buy silverline, but they then seem to jump up to over £300 :shock:
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Jul 2017, 12:02

General consensus seems to be buy second hand Paslode (I think you used to have one of those didn't you?) then sell on ebay after.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jul 2017, 12:11

Silverline tols can be a bit of a curates egg - good in parts but I can fully understand the attraction. So I would buy from a retailer with good customer service on returns as Silverline themselves can be how shall I say inflexible on warranty direct. DAMHIKT!

Mark's approach of buying a good name, used tool and reselling can be an all most free of charge way of using a good piece of kit.
Always been dubious of Paslode as they do seem fussy on fuel age but I've never owned one.

When I did my workshop roof I opted for screws as the cost was not that great (screwfix in bulk) and I could rectify mistakes as I was learning with ease.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby timothyedoran » 24 Jul 2017, 12:33

Wahoooo another workshop build.

Re silverline tools. I have bought a few silverline things
- No 4 plane. Bought a long time ago when I only needed a plane for a one off job. Little did I know I would enjoy this stuff. I have fiddled and tinkered with it and it now works. With fund generally low, I am stuck with a rubbish plane that I cannot quite justify replacing. I hope it irreparably breaks and I can buy something vintage.

- 600mm rule. Its ok, nothing special and does the job.

- Stainless self tapper screws. These are a joke. They are phillips head not pozi so to drive them in I have to use a small flat head as the pozi slips. They are not sharp, generally rubbish. I hope that next time I open the box outside they all fall down a hole.

I would now not buy silverline stuff. Normally the next price up is only a little more but will give you a lot more. For the nailer, if you consider it as a disposable tool, which might last the duration of the job it might be worth it. However don't have any expectation of it working when you come back in a years time.

I think it is a waste of environmental resource to make/buy a tool that is in effect junk and will be in landfill in a year.

Anyway welcome back and hello from Bath.
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Jul 2017, 13:14

I bought a Clarke CFN34 34° Clipped Head Air Frame Nailer from Tool Station. No problems with with air supplied by an Aldi compressor.

However, for connecting the frames to eachother and the roof rafters to the frame and ridge, I found that Clas Olson screws http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/5.0x100-mm ... r409560011 with an impact driver and Torx bit was brilliant when up a ladder on your own, instead of the heavy nailer with trailing airline.

And these screws really pull the frames together.

And Clas Ohlson do a three for the price of two offer on screws.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby wizer » 24 Jul 2017, 13:41

No, I wouldn't normally dream of buying anything with Silverline in it's name ...

Yes Mark. Yes I did. :evil: I loved the IM350, miss it dearly and am agonising over getting another. I bought mine 2nd hand back in about 2004 and was lucky, it worked perfectly. But I have heard horror stories of buying them 2nd hand.

Bob, yes I am mulling the idea of screwing the frame. It's a hell of a lot slower though :eusa-think:

Malc, thanks will take a look now
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jul 2017, 14:37

Tom,

Just thinking of you with all this physical labour stuff, how are your back problems these days? Hopefully good enough to be contemplating this build.

Cheers
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby wizer » 24 Jul 2017, 15:07

In terms of pain, no change. But I've now come to terms with it (Only took a decade) and manage it better than I ever have. I don't take any medication for it these days. Still have to be very careful and have constant pain, day or night. Just in a better frame of mind.

Between the three of us, we should be ok with this build. The pad is the most physically demanding, but needs must. :eusa-pray:
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 24 Jul 2017, 15:11

wizer wrote:No, I wouldn't normally dream of buying anything with Silverline in it's name ...

Yes Mark. Yes I did. :evil: I loved the IM350, miss it dearly and am agonising over getting another. I bought mine 2nd hand back in about 2004 and was lucky, it worked perfectly. But I have heard horror stories of buying them 2nd hand.

Bob, yes I am mulling the idea of screwing the frame. It's a hell of a lot slower though :eusa-think:

Malc, thanks will take a look now

I have screwed mine with torq head screws. It was an excellent opportunity to buy an impact driver. Being able to undo my mistakes has been very useful.
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Jul 2017, 15:32

timothyedoran wrote:
I have screwed mine with torq head screws. It was an excellent opportunity to buy an impact driver. Being able to undo my mistakes has been very useful.

:text-+1:

...especially for an amateur like moi!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jul 2017, 16:15

wizer wrote:In terms of pain, no change. But I've now come to terms with it (Only took a decade) and manage it better than I ever have. I don't take any medication for it these days. Still have to be very careful and have constant pain, day or night. Just in a better frame of mind.

Between the three of us, we should be ok with this build. The pad is the most physically demanding, but needs must. :eusa-pray:

Good to know that you are able to manage the pain now Tom - better by far for you than some of the stronger medications.

Best Wishes
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Next

Return to Workshop Builds