It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:40

Onform's workshop build

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Onform's workshop build

Postby Onform » 16 Aug 2017, 20:50

Ok here are a few photos of my workshop that I'm building. I'm already half way through but I have only just found this forum, (would of saved me a lot of head scratching), so take it easy on me! I chose not to follow any plans and kind of wing it and I have enjoyed solving all the little problems. Also as I have no idea what I'm actually doing a lot of it may not exactly be to building standards??

Here goes.

Before:
ImageIMG_2395 by onform1, on Flickr

Base starting to take shape:
ImageIMG_2414 by onform1, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2415 by onform1, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2418 by onform1, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2420 by onform1, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2427 by onform1, on Flickr
Last edited by Onform on 16 Aug 2017, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Re: Onform's workshop build

Postby timothyedoran » 16 Aug 2017, 20:54

Welcome to the forum. I am building a workshop too and have a thread of my build. I can only see one photo, the other doesn't show.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Onform » 16 Aug 2017, 20:59

yeah my bad, I pressed the wrong button. lol
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Postby Onform » 16 Aug 2017, 21:23

walls starting to be clad
ImageIMG_2430 by onform1, on Flickr

Walls up, starting to cut birds mouth notches for roof trusses.
ImageIMG_2465 by onform1, on Flickr

Lintels
ImageIMG_2488 by onform1, on Flickr

Front walls going up
ImageIMG_2501 by onform1, on Flickr

Window in
ImageIMG_2502 by onform1, on Flickr

Front nearly done
ImageIMG_2550 by onform1, on Flickr

Here's the bit which i think may come back to haunt me!I decided to add a makeshift skylight..lol
ImageIMG_2553 by onform1, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2810 by onform1, on Flickr

started making the doors
ImageIMG_2822 by onform1, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2823 by onform1, on Flickr

So yeah that's where i'm up to
ImageIMG_2828 by onform1, on Flickr
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Aug 2017, 22:07

Looks good Matt

Not sure the gaffer tape is the solution for the skylight... :lol:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Aug 2017, 22:11

Looking good!

I've not got the bottle to wing it. Wish I did.

But these guys here have been brilliant in giving me and others confidence to have a go.

Welcome.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Onform » 16 Aug 2017, 22:17

Not sure if your just kidding but it's bitumen/lead flashing not gaffer tape :D
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Aug 2017, 22:56

Thanks for posting those photos, and that looks like it will be a nice workshop when you're done.

Just a couple of comments for others following this: the ideal for a long-lived building is to separate the boarding from the wall structure with a 25mm airgap formed by counterbattening. And it's best to finish the boards prior to fixing them in place so that subsequent shrinkage doesn't expose unfinished timber. Finally, the sheathing board, being nearly vapour impermeable, should ideally be on the warm side of the insulation (ie, the inside face of the walls).

I'm curious about your ad hoc rooflight, too, and particularly it's junction with the rest of your roofing. What is the main roof covering?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Onform » 17 Aug 2017, 17:30

Mike G wrote:Thanks for posting those photos, and that looks like it will be a nice workshop when you're done.

Thanks, I intend to use for multiple purposes but mainly woodwork at first. My partner has a long list of projects lined up for me!

Just a couple of comments for others following this: the ideal for a long-lived building is to separate the boarding from the wall structure with a 25mm airgap formed by counterbattening.

So there should be an airgap between breather membrane and feather edge cladding??

And it's best to finish the boards prior to fixing them in place so that subsequent shrinkage doesn't expose unfinished timber.

I did think that after id put it on, oops, I will have to wait a little while before painting it. lol

Finally, the sheathing board, being nearly vapour impermeable, should ideally be on the warm side of the insulation (ie, the inside face of the walls).

That is what I am doing. The 11mm OSB will form the inside walls? then I will clad that in ALTRO WHITE ROCK and ALTRO non slip for the flooring as I can get enough for the shed for free

I'm curious about your ad hoc rooflight, too, and particularly it's junction with the rest of your roofing. What is the main roof covering?

I fixed the poly-carbonate panel in place with clear silicone. The EPDM rubber roof is glued down with contact adhesive then a bead of silicone adhesive between rubber, (overlap of 60mm), and polycarb then another bead of non curing water stop sealant then the bitumen/lead flashing with another 50mm overlap. If that makes any sense.
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Aug 2017, 18:55

Onform wrote:So there should be an airgap between breather membrane and feather edge cladding??

Yes.

That is what I am doing. The 11mm OSB will form the inside walls? then I will clad that in ALTRO WHITE ROCK

Oh OK. Your photos confused me, then.

Altro Whiterock. Blimey, are you planning on going into food production in there? :)

fixed the poly-carbonate panel in place with clear silicone. The EPDM rubber roof is glued down with contact adhesive then a bead of silicone adhesive between rubber, (overlap of 60mm), and polycarb then another bead of non curing water stop sealant then the bitumen/lead flashing with another 50mm overlap. If that makes any sense.

OK. Well given the materials and the detail you've done the best possible in the circumstances. I'll be surprised if this doesn't give you some trouble over the years, though, and if you were starting from scratch I'd suggest a step in the roofline at the junction.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Onform » 17 Aug 2017, 19:20

My mum always told me to never look a gift hourse in the mouth! Besides it should look pretty good don't you think?

Wrt the skylight I must of sat on that roof for half an hour debating in my head whether to cut that one piece rubber roof! But as you can see my crazy side won. I am certain that decision is going to haunt me for years to come! Lol my main concern is shrinkage.
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 Aug 2017, 19:35

I have polycarb windows in my WS , and they crackle and creek away when the sun shines on them and they grow and shrink.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 17 Aug 2017, 19:53

Does the Whiterock have insulation properties?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Onform » 17 Aug 2017, 20:04

I don't think so but it must have vapour barrier properties! It's just plastic sheets that you bond directly to the walls. It's used in the food/medical industries. I'm only using it because I can get it for free.. :D
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Postby Onform » 18 Oct 2017, 18:48

Just a little update, I haven’t done as much as I had hoped to be honest but I have got it all sealed with both doors up and locks fitting etc. Ring main cables and lighting circuit all in and insulation in the roof and walls. Just got to run the armoured cable in the garden run cable through the house from CU, fit the 11mm sob walls and white rock then lay the flooring.
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds