It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:39

Insulation

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Insulation

Postby Rod » 01 Sep 2017, 23:08

I hope nobody has used this stuff for insulation!

'Grand Designs' dream home ruined by 'Biblical' plague of moths - The Telegraph
https://apple.news/Ar5S9WOn-Rky4MSitg6I12A

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Insulation

Postby Doug » 02 Sep 2017, 06:23

That's not ideal :?

"She has since been advised by experts that, unless properly treated, sheep’s wool is considered ‘fillet steak’ for moths."
What a strange analogy, considering moths don't eat meat if it were fillet steak she wouldn't be having a problem :eusa-think:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Sep 2017, 07:10

There was a massive failure of the insect treatment in commercially available lamb's wool insulation a couple of years back, which resulted in the National Trust stripping it out of half a dozen buildings, and various other catastrophes around the country. The suppliers/ manufacturers closed the business overnight and opened up again the following day under a new name.

I won't have anything to do with the stuff.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 02 Sep 2017, 12:12

Thanks for highlighting that Rod ... another bit of info stored in my deep memory banks ! :D
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 02 Sep 2017, 21:17

Mike G wrote:There was a massive failure of the insect treatment in commercially available lamb's wool insulation a couple of years back, which resulted in the National Trust stripping it out of half a dozen buildings, and various other catastrophes around the country. The suppliers/ manufacturers closed the business overnight and opened up again the following day under a new name.

I won't have anything to do with the stuff.

From that supplier or wool full stop? I've wondered since the awful tragedy at Greenfell tower if more people would move to other insulation materials given Kingspan type panels seem to be pretty flammable even though we're advised to use them over polystyrene
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 02 Sep 2017, 22:20

I don't know if it caught on , but recycled denim was used a bit by the eco lot too ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 02 Sep 2017, 23:39

Tusses wrote:I don't know if it caught on , but recycled denim was used a bit by the eco lot too ?

Washed first, I hope :?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 02 Sep 2017, 23:44

I got some frozen food delivered with an insulation wrapping of wool inside perforated plastic. It suggests reusing it as loft or other insulation - I think not, it's going in the bin!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Sep 2017, 08:19

MattS wrote:
Mike G wrote:........ I've wondered since the awful tragedy at Greenfell tower if more people would move to other insulation materials given Kingspan type panels seem to be pretty flammable even though we're advised to use them over polystyrene

There is a fire resistant Celotex and Kingspan.

Both Celotex and Kingspan are over twice as efficient an insulator as wool. So if you need 6 inches of Celotex, you'll need more than a foot of wool. Wool isn't as good an insulator as mineral wool (fibreglass), which is now a 100% recycled product, much cheaper, and benign to handle (nothing like the old yellow and then pink stuff which was horrible). There seems to be a constant search for the next fashion in insulation, and there is certainly a case to be made for some of them, but until they can beat the price and performance of the standard everyday stuff stocked by every builder's merchant and DIY shop in the country, then I won't be using them, or specifying them.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds