It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:06

Boarding the ceiling and roof

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Boarding the ceiling and roof

Postby CATNAP » 04 Sep 2017, 14:35

Now most of the insulation is done I will soon be getting to fitting the inside walls and boarding the ceiling over the top of the insulation. Still got to insulate the roof, hopefully I have enough insulation board left.

Although expensive I'm thinking about ply walls and ceiling.
22mm plywood for the walls screwed into the stud walls and 18mm ply for the ceiling.... Is this a good way to go ? Someone said plaster board was an option but I think ply should be easier to fit and work well.

Is all ply generally the same? Is marine ply overkill ?
CATNAP
Seedling

Name:

Re: Boarding the ceiling and roof

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Sep 2017, 14:58

Hiya Catnap,

I'm using 18 mm OSB3 for roof sheathing, with metal tile boards over the top.

I'm using 11mm OSB 3 for wall and ceiling sheathing. I've just bought some at £13.16 a sheet delivered, with other materials.

While OSB 11mm might not itself be strong enough to screw shelves etc. to, you can devise ways for the shelves etc to be screwed through the OSB into the studs.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby CATNAP » 04 Sep 2017, 15:03

Yes I have already used OSB for the roof sheeting.
Metal tile boards? do you have a link? dont know what they look like.

You going to just paint the OSB for the internal walls?
CATNAP
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Sep 2017, 15:10

CATNAP wrote:Yes I have already used OSB for the roof sheeting.
Metal tile boards? do you have a link? dont know what they look like.

You going to just paint the OSB for the internal walls?

The manufacturer's website is here - https://www.metrotile.co.uk

I shall be using up all my left over white matt emulsion for the inside and buying the cheapest when it runs out! :)

This what the roof looks like -

IMG_1272.JPG
(451.59 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby CATNAP » 04 Sep 2017, 15:21

Yeah I just saw that stuff and would have considered it.... I went down the shingle bitch tiles instead....hopefully they last.

I'm not sure of the final effect painted OSB is going to give, might look ok if most of your walls are covered up with shelves and racking..... on this occasion my walls are going to be as plain as possible.

The ply seems like a stronger product as well, but its all more money lol .

fun and games
CATNAP
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Sep 2017, 15:36

I've no idea why you would want anything so heavy for a lining on the inside of your external walls, but if you have a good reason, there is no harm in it. You'll never do this on your own, though. Get a friend or two to help, and you might even need a board lifter for the ceiling. Don't forget to leave a nail-width gap between boards all round.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby CATNAP » 04 Sep 2017, 16:12

Just shows how much I know ...hehe sure my carpenter friend said the thicker the sheet the easier it is to have biscuited together.... course I just thought Chocolate biscuits.
CATNAP
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Sep 2017, 21:57

CATNAP wrote:Just shows how much I know ...hehe sure my carpenter friend said the thicker the sheet the easier it is to have biscuited together.... course I just thought Chocolate biscuits.

Biscuiting the sheets together ? :o Why on earth would he want to do that?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby CATNAP » 04 Sep 2017, 22:05

no idea now....cant remember the reason.... maybe to not see the screws.

I'm warming to the painted OSB now..... its 1/2 the price and doesn't look too bad from some of the pics on the internet.

so painted OSB walls and nice ply ceiling.
CATNAP
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Sep 2017, 22:46

Well if OSB is good enough for the walls (and it is), then it's also good enough for the ceiling.

As for the biscuit comment, I suspect you two may have been talking at cross purposes. He must have been talking about something else. There is no way on this planet that anyone of sound mind biscuits sheathing boards together. There is absolutely nothing to be gained (I mean, they're nailed or screwed to the same piece of wood at the joins, so they aren't going to move differentially).
Last edited by Mike G on 05 Sep 2017, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 Sep 2017, 08:55

I found it useful to mark the position of the studs on the floor of the workshop. When the screw holes were filled and painted over it is surprising how difficult it can be to find the studs.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 05 Sep 2017, 09:08

Andyp wrote:I found it useful to mark the position of the studs on the floor of the workshop. When the screw holes were filled and painted over it is surprising how difficult it can be to find the studs.

Or some annotated photos.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby CATNAP » 05 Sep 2017, 09:45

Mike G wrote:Well if OSB is good enough for the walls (and it is), then it's also good enough for the ceiling.

As for the biscuit comment, I suspect you two may have been talking at cross purposes. He must have been talking about something else. There is no way on this planet that anyone of sound mind biscuits sheathing boards together. There is absolutely nothing to be gained (I mean, they're nailed or screwed to the same piece of wood at the joins, so they aren't going to move differentially).

I'm think a smooth ceiling would look better against the textures of the osb painted walls bit of contrast. We want it to look smart after all not just like a workshop.
CATNAP
Seedling

Name:

Postby CATNAP » 05 Sep 2017, 09:45

Andyp wrote:I found it useful to mark the position of the studs on the floor of the workshop. When the screw holes were filled and painted over it is surprising how difficult it can be to find the studs.

Good call
CATNAP
Seedling

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds