It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:37

How to fit a window?

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

How to fit a window?

Postby timothyedoran » 24 Sep 2017, 13:22

I am at the point where I need to fit the window in the workshed

Here are some images of the window held in place but not fitted. Does anyone have a diagram/photos/video of where to put the breathable membrane. Should it be cut square or wrapped inside the frame?

Any help gratefully received

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Re: How to fit a window?

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Sep 2017, 15:00

I'm having to think this one through as I write, Tim, 'cos I've put my window in before I filled the walls with insulation and covered that with the membrane. I didn't cover the frame of the window aperture. I stopped the membrane just before the edge/corner.

My DIY head says that the membrane is to contain the insulation and allow it to breathe. The window and its frame aperture are separate element, I hope.

I used expanding foam between the window and the building frame.

And at the edge of the window will have to be some form of end stop for the cladding, anyway.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 24 Sep 2017, 19:15

You can't get it perfect, Tim, and Malcolm has the right answer to the principle of the thing.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 24 Sep 2017, 19:57

Thanks for the help.

It seems quite a common building method in the States. Here is a pic from an image search.

And a YouTube by tyvek
https://youtu.be/SqP4liutJFs

But their windows are designed differently. I know it is only a workshed but I want to do a good job. I might use some flashband, if it looks like the foam and timber trim won't work satisfactory.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Sep 2017, 20:24

Having been educated by Building Alaska :D it seems their windows are flange mounted, whereas ours are fixed through the sides of the window into the aperture.

Are these just cultural ways of doing the same job, or are there technical reasons for them?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to Workshop Builds