It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:33

The Bike Workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: The Bike Workshop

Postby StevieB » 29 Oct 2018, 22:33

Looking good. What stops rain being blown under the ridge cap though - they look like some large gaps under there?
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby cadman_4 » 29 Oct 2018, 22:37

StevieB wrote:Looking good. What stops rain being blown under the ridge cap though - they look like some large gaps under there?

That’ll be the barge flashings that are the next bit to fit. They are a right angle length of folded steel that overlaps the roof sheet and the front of the exposed rafter side, closing off the gap

I’ll post up some photos of it once I’ve got a piece fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cadman_4
New Shoots

Name: John

Postby TrimTheKing » 29 Oct 2018, 22:54

I think he's talking about the gaps under the ridge pieces along its length. If the wind is blowing rain onto the roof sideways then what is to stop that rain going up under the lengths that cap the ridge and between the main roof sheets?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby cadman_4 » 29 Oct 2018, 23:08

TrimTheKing wrote:I think he's talking about the gaps under the ridge pieces along its length. If the wind is blowing rain onto the roof sideways then what is to stop that rain going up under the lengths that cap the ridge and between the main roof sheets?

Ah my misunderstanding. There are foam ridge closers fitted between the ridge cap and the roofing sheets and then there are another set of foam closers at the eaves that go under the roofing sheet to stop anything going up under the roof

I’ll post some pics of these too to clarify

cadman_4
New Shoots

Postby bluebirdnick » 11 Nov 2018, 22:47

Thanks for these photos. I got my roof and ridge up today. I copied your ladder and it worked a treat. I doubt I would have come up with that idea on my own - the ladder turned a nightmare job into a merely very difficult one. Thank you!
bluebirdnick
New Shoots

Name:

Postby cadman_4 » 11 Nov 2018, 22:49

Glad to help someone out. Did you fit the foam fillers in ok? I ended up stapling mine to the wood battens so they didn’t move while getting the roof sheets in place, and as they say a picture speaks a thousand words

cadman_4
New Shoots

Postby bluebirdnick » 11 Nov 2018, 23:32

I've not actually fixed the sheets against the bottom batten yet. I had my dad here today so focused on the two-man-jobs and getting the ridge on. I can reach the bottom batten from the ground and now that the sheets are fixed on the higher battens they are going nowhere anyway. Getting the foam filler under the ridge cap was a bit of a fiddle, but I just lifted the cap slightly to slide them in and then fixed it down with the screws.

I have to admit, I had not thought to fix the foam on the under-side of the sheets at the eves to the batten. it's a good idea, but too late for me now!
bluebirdnick
New Shoots

Name:

Postby cadman_4 » 17 Dec 2018, 21:32

Finally got to send a bit of time at the weekend...

Got the cladding started off. The barge closers are still too long as I’m not sure where they need cutting back to until I get some gutter to offer up

cadman_4
New Shoots

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Dec 2018, 21:37

Coming along.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Previous