It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:03

Boilers and Wood Dust

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Boilers and Wood Dust

Postby mabazza ritchie » 13 Dec 2017, 01:31

Hi folks,

So this year was hopefully to be the year I built a shed to house my bits and pieces. Also, somewhere to go and make a mess of perfectly nice timber. :eusa-violin: Sadly, a broken car later - this won't be happening. I may resort to using my garage at home, however, the only possible issue is that the garage also houses my boiler. Does anyone have experience of this? I am just worried the dust causing the boiler to break or worse.

Many thanks,

MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Boilers and Wood Dust

Postby RogerS » 13 Dec 2017, 06:42

Welcome to the forum, MR

I'm not an expert but when I recently had my new oil boiler installed in the garage, the installer wanted me to have a balanced flue to avoid dust getting in. Do you have a balance flue?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 13 Dec 2017, 08:10

If your boiler isn’t a room sealed appliance it shouldn’t be in the garage, obviously I can’t say it is a room sealed appliance but it would contravene regs if it wasn’t so it probably is, a make & model would help to be conclusive.

If it is room sealed having a workshop in there won’t affect the combustion part of the boiler but it’s a good idea to minimise dust build up not only for the boiler but also your own health.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Dec 2017, 22:06

Welcome MR. I think Doug has answered your query perfectly.

You should know that no spec of sawdust has ever had the temerity to land on the floor of Doug's workshop. There is a dust extraction system designed by NASA and installed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and little invisible fairies with little invisible Dustbusters hovering just above the floor ready to snaffle any wayward particles. Some sawdust on a dropped sheet of sandpaper got through the system once, in the Great Dust Escape of 2009, but we know better than talk about that. ;) :lol:
Last edited by Mike G on 15 Dec 2017, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 15 Dec 2017, 05:27

Thanks for the replies, so far. The boiler doesn't have any makers mark that I can recall, but I will check. It was installed in 1994, is mains gas fed and heats a hot water cylinder/radiators as opposed to hot water 'on demand'. I'm happy to turn wood to dust but water/gas/electricity in one appliance is witchcraft!

UPDATE - the boiler is a Potterton Prima F.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 4ndy » 18 Dec 2017, 15:27

Hi MR,

We have a Potterton Prima F and they're a balanced flue unit (you can tell as the flue has two pipes, one inside the other). This means it draws both clean air in and exhaust's combustion gasses through the one flue setup.

This means that it won't draw any debris from inside the workshop into the combustion unit. It's also a fairly well sealed unit with little exposed for dust to build up, but definitely worth checking for any gaps in the case so as to preempt any issues.

Rgds,

Andy.
It might not be broken, but it will be by the time I've finished with it! (hammer)
4ndy
Seedling

Name: Andy

Postby mabazza ritchie » 19 Dec 2017, 05:08

Fantastic. Thanks for that! As "luck" would have it - the boiler is going to need replaced, as of today, it doesn't work!
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 4ndy » 20 Dec 2017, 19:38

mabazza ritchie wrote:Fantastic. Thanks for that! As "luck" would have it - the boiler is going to need replaced, as of today, it doesn't work!

That's a bummer, they seem to be fairly robust normally (he says with every extremity crossed).
It might not be broken, but it will be by the time I've finished with it! (hammer)
4ndy
Seedling

Name: Andy

Postby mabazza ritchie » 21 Dec 2017, 11:33

Apparently not designed to last longer than 24 years; just a pity it had to break on my watch! :eusa-clap:
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 21 Dec 2017, 12:27

Most boilers of the sort of age are fixable. It is the newer hi tech ones that can be pigs to revive.
Good luck
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby techauthorbob » 12 Jan 2018, 16:18

From past experience of pc's I would check and clean any fans and pcb's (circuit boards).

These items do not like dust build up at all.

The only other thing inside a boiler is a build up of dust etc in the heat exchanger fins.

If you have good extraction dust should not be a major problem, just an occasional check needed.

Could you not build a sealed container / small room round it to keep out the dust?

Bob
techauthorbob
New Shoots

Name: Bob Hardy

Postby mabazza ritchie » 15 Jan 2018, 20:04

Bob - i had wondered about boxing it in but it has now given up the ghost and our new one gets fitted on wednesday. Its going inside the house.

As an aside, i was given a mint condition Dewalt DW50 planer thicknesser today. Having looked at it, i could do with investing in new blades for it. Does anyone know where i could source them? The thought of having to set them is mind boggling.

Thanks,
MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby DaveL » 15 Jan 2018, 20:38

A quick search on eBay for them brings quite a few listings you can get HSS for about £20 for a pair. I would think they are resharpable so if you get a spare set you could send the ones you take out of to be reground.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2018, 22:38

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds