It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:37

Shed rebuild

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Shed rebuild

Postby Coolhands » 03 Apr 2018, 22:21

In the offing. I have a wooden framed shed / workshop I built 9 years ago, on a concrete base. I made it up as I went along. Roof now leaks and has sagged (rafters too thin which I knew at the time) so blue tarp put over it today. Want to rebuild in summer off 3 courses of bricks.
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Shed rebuild

Postby RogerS » 04 Apr 2018, 06:49

Hi Coolhands

Welcome to the forum. There's plenty of information on the forum to help you should you need it.

We love pictures, by the way!

Roger
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Apr 2018, 07:17

As Roger said and a welcome from me too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 04 Apr 2018, 07:32

Are the walls sound? It might just be possible to take the roof off, then jack the building up, build a plinth, then put the building back down again (if height isn't an issue).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Apr 2018, 09:56

Welcome from soggy Devon!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Coolhands » 04 Apr 2018, 10:27

hmmm I had never considered raising it in that manner. I think it would look odd though as the neighbours have an outhouse a similar height so mine would end up being higher afterwards. The walls are well built but I didn't construct them properly (although it's never been a problem).

eg they are featheredge > uprights > plasterboard with insulation in-between. There is no membrane at all.

I'm so annoyed I never really knew what I was doing as it took a lot of effort to build, and now I might have to start again. The problems start at the bottom - I wanted the base to be insulated to work on motorbikes, so I laid a frame and used insulation. But the frame spacing didn't make sense so the boards dip at some of the edges when I put side stand down etc

see if pic works:

then I built up off the frame outline the perimeter of the slab:

Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coolhands » 04 Apr 2018, 13:50

I've decided it really does need rebuilding as the roof is pretty rotten (just been up to put a tarpaulin over), and I want a bit on the outside for storage of ladders - roofed but semi-open perhaps.

I also might have an internal wall to have effectively 2 rooms. eg the smaller narrow room would be a clean room maybe used for modelling (RC models) and the larger space for my car tools eg roll cabs etc and space for when I need to get a motorbike in for maintenance.
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Apr 2018, 19:47

Well even if you have to take it down you should be able to re-use much of the timber. In fact, if you can detach the corners (fairly easy if they were screwed), then you might just be able to lay each wall down, cut them 225mm shorter, re-fix or replace the sole plates, and set them aside whilst you build the plinth. Follow the principles outlined in my sticky thread and you won't be having to do this work again, ever.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby cadman_4 » 05 Apr 2018, 10:26

Welcome to the forum from me too.

I am also working on a motorbike workshop when the weather picks up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cadman_4
New Shoots

Name: John

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Apr 2018, 10:43

Welcome aboard Coolhands

Should be a good project and you have some of the internet's foremost UK shed 'experts' to help ;)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Jjenks » 06 Apr 2018, 23:03

Welcome, glad you made the move from pistonheads
Jjenks
Seedling

Name:

Postby Coolhands » 10 Aug 2018, 12:51

As it was when I built it: (not any kind of proper plan or building techniques)

Overall:

Last edited by Coolhands on 11 Sep 2018, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 10 Aug 2018, 22:00

I've moved this topic into Workshop Builds from the Welcome board simply in the interests of keeping the place tidy.

Cheers
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Coolhands » 11 Aug 2018, 08:36

Thanks. I think from reading other topics I need 200mm deep rafters rather than 150mm. Or, could I stick with 150 (as cheaper) and run one long 200mm one from left to right in the middle of the roof to support them? It’s about 4.6m wide. Although I don’t know the price difference, will try and look today.

Edit dimensions are 3.8m deep front to back, 4.6m wide.
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby tabs » 11 Aug 2018, 11:41

I'm building a flat roof as well(probably 10 degree slope) . My span is only 2.4m so not as wide as yours and I may put a green roof on it so it needs to be able to take plenty of weight. I've chatted to the green roof people and been told for my span 6x2 graded C24 timber at 400 centres would be ok. Whether this would do your bigger span I don't know but considering yours isn't going to have the weight on it mine will have it could be ok.
tabs
New Shoots

Name: Tez

Postby Coolhands » 12 Aug 2018, 11:45

Hi, separate question: I am considering if I did rebuild the shed to put it on 3 courses of bricks as per sticky / mike. But, what if I also want the back wall (only) to be entirely block? Reason being land behind my shed is completely overgrown with brambles etc - I don’t own it and it’s not maintained and they are invasive trying to get under my feather edge.

So can I have one wall only? Struggling to see how it would link with the 3 courses on the side walls. + would it stand on its own and then I build timber frame up to it.

Or should stay wood frame all round but in back wall use OSB instead of feather edge. Thanks for anyone’s thoughts.
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 12 Aug 2018, 12:04

I think you would need piers every few feet in the block work wall and maybe a one block return at each end/corner for stability.
You can deal with damp-proofing the block wall by synthaprufing the inside surface and adding insulation for comfort. The whole of my workshop is built like this and stays bone dry. I have one 10 metre wall on the boundary that I cannot maintain as my neighbour refuses me access to it and so it is bare, rough pointed, high density concrete blocks left as built.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Coolhands » 26 Aug 2018, 15:54

Question:

I can’t get 50mm thermalite blocks anywhere. Why can’t I just use 100mm ones, presumably they’ll stick out into the room by 39mm if I have 11mm OSB on the walls. Does that matter? Or will it just look weird / be awkward for putting shelves up or whatever. Otherwise my only option is to cut them in half lengthways and I’m not sure how hard tha is.

Also I’m using dense concrete blocks for the 2 sides and back instead of bricks as they are not visible from my garden. I am using brick on the fron face only. Is there any problem I am not anticipating with that? I believe they should be ok. (Ie they are just as ‘good’ as bricks it’s just they are normally unsightly).
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 Aug 2018, 16:02

No problem mixing bricks and blocks, it is done all the time in the building trade.

Just use 100mm thermalite and think of it as a masonry skirting board! :lol:

Malc cut his down in a homemade jig if you are really concerned. Details will be in his build thread.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Coolhands » 26 Aug 2018, 16:17

Thanks. I’ve read that, just wondering how tiring it is, not as fit as I used to be lol! I have bought a concrete saw from screwfix to have a go.

Got brickie coming soon to lay the blocks and bricks for me. Got to take existing shed down tomorrow if rain holds off. Pouring today.
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Aug 2018, 16:30

Yo, CH!

It's a doddle to cut down thermalite or similar blocks.

I used some roof battens to make the jig up and bought a stone hand saw from toolsation for about £16. Did the job a treat. I made the jig because I didn't trust my straight cutting ability.

Other guys on this site say that any cheap DIY saw will cut thermalite, too.

So, go for it!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 26 Aug 2018, 16:34

Weather should be fine tomorrow for taking the shed down

Good luck
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Coolhands » 26 Aug 2018, 19:19

Ok I’ve made my own 50mm block cutting jig. I had lots of spare wood and plasterboard screws. I used metric 47mm 2x4 as I thought it would be close enough, but actually change my design after first block. If you put 4 screws (in pairs of 2 for stability, 2 high up and 2 lower down) through board from other side you can leave the heads protruding to creat the extra few mm gap you’re you need to make the 47mm offcuts 50 mm so you get block cut in the middle

See gap

Here’s my design. You can lay the block flat up against the back

Then hold with batten and clamps, and simply run your saw up against the 2x4 as you cut down. Move the clamp above saw when necessary.

I think it’s accurate enough.

Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Aug 2018, 20:01

:text-bravo: :obscene-drinkingbuddies:

Sorted!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Coolhands » 27 Aug 2018, 12:05

Got blocks and bricks this morning at 8 from selco. Disassembled my toolboxes to move them out existing shed. Emptying the current space is the hardest thing - trying to keep everything out the rain. I have a lean-to (already full up lol) which these toolboxes will be going in.

Question: anyone have a link to a how-to-build-a-flat-roof with a gradient on it? I have looked at firring strips which would be my ideal but they are ten quid each and I’m not spending £120 on firring strips! So how else can I reliably create a fall using rafters?

I really wanted top of all walls to be even, with horizontal joists going front to rear. But without firring strips I need to create a fall somehow but then that introduces problems with the top of the side walls having to also slope, which is how my current shed got made-up walls by me in the first place!

My shed must have a flat roof by the way, not a pitched roof.
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Next

Return to Workshop Builds