It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:11

Mike's how to build a shed without concrete

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Mike's how to build a shed without concrete

Postby Mike G » 27 Apr 2018, 12:31

There have been a number of enquiries lately from people who want to build a shed, but are worried about building a concrete base and laying a brick plinth. Whilst that remains the best way by far, I thought I would put together a thread for people who wanted a concrete-free alternative, without bricks. Please note that you should not attempt this technique for large buildings (say 20sq m or more), nor for buildings which need to show compliance with Building Regulations. If you plan on using a large lathe regularly I would also avoid a timber suspended floor, and would refer you to my original thread on workshop building.

The principle of this alternative construction is to use readily available and cheap concrete lintels (from any Builders Merchant) to raise the timber the necessary 150mm above the ground. There is a minimum of digging, but topsoil must be removed around the perimeter, as well as all vegetation.

I show 2 alternatives, with the difference being the span of the floor.

Here are the drawings:

Here is my typical corner detail for feather-edge boarding (this is a Plan Section):

Everything above the floor remains as per my original thread, and of course there are a myriad alternatives for the roof.

Now, I really should get on with some work! :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds