It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:31

Extractor Fan for Garage Workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Extractor Fan for Garage Workshop

Postby themissingelf » 05 May 2018, 08:12

I'm considering installing an extractor fan in my garage/workshop to serve a couple of purposes. Firstly to expel residual dust and secondly to expel the warmth build up in the summer. I thought about a filter but then realised I rarely need to recycle the air so why not just extract it.

At first I was planning to use a kitchen or bathroom wall extractor but then thought an inline may be better as it gives me the flexibility to attach a hose and target the extraction for things like soldering.

Thoughts and experiences welcome!
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Extractor Fan for Garage Workshop

Postby Phil » 05 May 2018, 10:08

I have a 'freebie' cyclone type fan (looks like jet engine) which I fitted some brackets and it then hooks onto a bar in the window. Very effective.

WP_20140509_005 - Copy.jpg
(318.24 KiB)

Apologies for poor pic. :oops:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 05 May 2018, 10:22

themissingelf wrote:I'm considering installing an extractor fan in my garage/workshop to serve a couple of purposes. Firstly to expel residual dust and secondly to expel the warmth build up in the summer. I thought about a filter but then realised I rarely need to recycle the air so why not just extract it.

At first I was planning to use a kitchen or bathroom wall extractor but then thought an inline may be better as it gives me the flexibility to attach a hose and target the extraction for things like soldering.

Thoughts and experiences welcome!

I'm not sure that an inline would be sufficient to do anything to the air inside the workshop TBH. Yes, when fed via a hose as you're concentrating the suck in a limited area.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby themissingelf » 05 May 2018, 15:40

I thought that at first when I looked at the turnover of filters; however, I found inlines that would turn over the volume of my garage five times per hour which doesn't sound too shabby. I've no experience of air filtration / extraction so I'm speculating.

Do air filters create air movement within the workshop; keeping pollutants from settling so they stand more chance of being filtered? I'd be relying on through draft; using some form of air vent/s at the opposite end/side of the shop.

My overwhelming thinking is filters rarely exceed 0.3 microns filtration so the really harmful stuff simply bypasses the filter and is propelled around the shop. Using extraction means I stick all of it outside.

(PS. My DX5000 vacuum had it vents blocked up in favour of connecting the outlet to outside for the same reason).
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds