It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:58

Luigi's new workshop/teenager den

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Luigi's new workshop/teenager den

Postby luigi_mani » 06 Aug 2018, 13:23

20180719_080926.jpg
(659.45 KiB)
Hiya
I am building a workshop in my garden (approx. 6x2.5m) with teenager den at one end. Photo attached. It is timber framed (recycled 4x2 roof rafters), with timber external T&G cladding. I have bought 9mm ply for the inside walls and plan to insulate with Rockwool. It will have a pent roof (chipboard and felt). I have been given some old uPVC double glazed windows/doors which I will install. I have also been given a roll of breathable membrane and my plan was to wrap the building in it and clad over the top but now I am wondering if I ought to put 20mm battens between the membrane and the cladding. I am not looking for this workshop to last a lifetime. 10 years will be fine as we may move after the kids have (hopefully) flown the nest. What do people think? Is it necessary?
Also, if I batten what do you do with the corners, where the cladding meets. Presumable I need a timber in the corner to fix them to and seal the join? So I’ll need an extra wide batten at each corner?
Another question, is the 9mm ply considered to be a vapour barrier on the inside? If not, what is the cheapest form of vapour barrier? I was thinking of using DPM but that’s not that cheap.
Any advice/comments welcome.
Thanks.
Luigi
luigi_mani
Seedling

Name: Lewis

Re: Luigi's new workshop/teenager den

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Aug 2018, 13:33

Luigi,

I think OSB may be cheaper than chipboard and I believe it can be considered a vapour barrier.

I have used T&G on a binstore and it has shrunk to the extent that I have got to replace it.

I have used father edge from a sawmill (not from a diy place) for my workshop, painted both sides before it went up, and it hasn't moved in this recent weather.

I have put drawings and photos in my workshop build thread for corner detail for cladding which took ages for my aged head to get round, but it worked out right in the end.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Luigi's new workshop/teenager den

Postby Mike G » 06 Aug 2018, 13:59

Luigi, I've only got a second...........welcome to the forum.........and all your answers are in my "How to build a shed" thread, a sticky in this section of the forum. OSB is a decent vapour barrier, and is cheaper than ply. Ply is also a vapour barrier, but less effective (it contains less glue).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds