It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:10

Small workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Small workshop

Postby MY63 » 11 Apr 2019, 19:15

I have cleaner but unless I have misunderstood the instructions you can’t remove the can once it has been attached to the gun. The instructions actually tell you not to remove it until it is empty.
There is liquid in the can it moves when I shake it.
The window is quite a good fit can I use another type of sealant or does the foam do a particular job.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Apr 2019, 19:27

Well, if the knob is at the correct pressure setting and there's still nothing happening, I would screw the knob back to fully closed, then unscrew the foam tin, screw on the cleaner tin, make sure the gun is clean, and retry the foam tin, or a new foam tin.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby MY63 » 11 Apr 2019, 19:47

RogerS wrote:Most important rule - Don't forget to turn the valve off fully at the end of every session.

Slight dampness on the surfaces doesn't matter. In fact, it makes it cure better. If the temperature is really cold then placing the gun/foam container in front of a light bulb to gently warm the can/gun/contents up helps.

Wear gloves and goggles. If you do get some on your hands then you can clean it off with a bit of cleaner on a rag or paper towel(unless you have sensitive skin in which case don't).

Don't fret too much about it building up around the nozzle. You can let the stuff dry and then cut bits off roughly with a knife. Don't fret about getting it pristine. You will know if it needs cutting off a bit more as it won't flow out very easily.

Throw away that little bit of plastic tubing they might have included. It will pop off anyway and when you least expect or want it to.

Make sure the can is completely empty before undoing it. Clean the gun after each can. You only need a bit of a squirt out the front.

Be VERY VERY careful screwing either the can or cleaner on the gun as it can get cross-threaded if you're not careful. On the other hand you need to be determined to screw the can on as part way through the screwing in process,you're starting to break the seal and so if you're not brave and courageous you can end up getting a lot of foam all over the place.

Each time you remove either can or cleaner, double check that none of the plastic from the can/cleaner connector has snapped off and is still inside the thread of the gun. If you don't then be prepared for foam EVERYWHERE :twisted:

Remember Rule 1 - always turn the gun off fully at the end of using it. I tend to turn mine off even if I know I'm going to be using it again in a couple of minutes.

Malcolm are you sure the can is open how do I stop the foam coming out when I remove it from the gun? I had some dire warnings from Roger and Mike.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Apr 2019, 20:04

As I recall, the foam tin self seals if you unscrew quick and confidently.

Can any other members suggest that I may have got that wrong, please.

I had blockages from time to time, but never had a disaster.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 11 Apr 2019, 21:37

Michael

If you have completely unwound the control knob and still nothing is coming out then I'm afraid you have either to throw both gun and can away and start again OR goggle and glove up, take it out into the garden and remove the can quickly. Don't think about using it again.

Then go through the cleaning regime.

Was your gun connected to a can or left unconnected ? I never do that...always have a can of foam or cleaner connected.

I was down your way this afternoon trying to find some architectural salvage places.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 11 Apr 2019, 22:05

The last thing I did was to run the cleaning fluid through the gun but I removed the can.
When I fitted the new can this afternoon I opened the valve and pulled the trigger there was a short blast of gas then nothing.

I think it is going in the bin I don't want to be messing about with that stuff.

I did not know there was any architectural salvage yards down this way I did see that the Festool roadshow is coming to Aminster in June
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 12 Apr 2019, 11:01

That sounds like a faulty can to me, but if it isn't, cleaning the gun isn't difficult. Just take everything apart and clean off any dried foam. The critical area is the ball just under the bit where the can screws on (it's pushed up by a spring). Generally if you can get that clean and moving, then the gun will work.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Apr 2019, 11:16

MY63 wrote: I had some dire warnings from Roger and Mike.

Surely you've realised by now that our Roger is a massive drama queen! :eusa-whistle:

I have removed cans before now, on more than one occasion, when I hadn't properly cleaned the gun before, and so long as you are confident and swift then you can remove it with minimal foam escaping, then just go in the garden and spray both can and gun down with cleaner then crack on!

It's really not that big a deal, unless you have a faulty can which doesn't self seal, which I did have once, then it all pours out. At that point you make sure you're outside on the grass when you take the can off and if it does happen then just drop it on the floor, let it do its thing, then leave it for a few hours until dry before you touch it again.

You're kind of stuck because if the foam won't come out of the gun then you need to remove it anyway, or bin the lot and start again, but that seems a real waste compared to a pair of rubber gloves and giving it a go...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 12 Apr 2019, 11:57

TrimTheKing wrote:
MY63 wrote: I had some dire warnings from Roger and Mike.

Surely you've realised by now that our Roger is a massive drama queen! :eusa-whistle:

....., then it all pours out. ....

Four times over the lifetime of this project ! Wonder if Jack has managed to get it all out of his hair yet ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Apr 2019, 13:28

Jack?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 12 Apr 2019, 15:10

TrimTheKing wrote:Jack?

Jack was the young labourer on our building work. He managed to get the can cross-threaded while also having the valve open. Luckily he was wearing goggles.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Apr 2019, 15:15

Well that’s surely less about the process and more about ineptitude...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby MY63 » 12 Apr 2019, 16:09

My apologies to Malcolm I should not have doubted you.
The can came off with only a small amount of foam escape which I quickly cleaned off with some cleaner.
The inner ball was stuck solid so I used an awl with a small hammer to free it cleaner goes through no problem.
My Local anesthetic has worn off although I am not allowed to use power tools or knives I am sure I am allowed to use a foam gun.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 13 Apr 2019, 19:21

Nothing to exciting happening before my hospital visit for what I think is best described as routine maintenance I fitted a tarpaulin over the OSB 3 to protect it from the rain forecast for Monday.

Foam gun worked a treat and the window is sealed.

I have added an extra piece of wood to my router template as I am thinking of cutting the socket holes while the trunking is in place. As long as there is not a good reason not too I will either clamp the top piece to the trunking or put a couple of screws in to keep the template in place while I am routing.

Image2019-04-13_06-59-44 by my0771, on Flickr

Edit There are no wires in the trunking yet.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 15 Apr 2019, 14:28

I am not very mobile at the moment but I have managed to trim the foam and today I managed to fit some trim around the inside of the window.
Looks ok to me :) I had hoped to get on with clearing everything out and painting and trying out the router jig.
I think I may order the EDPM for the roof this afternoon.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Apr 2019, 15:41

You're fair galloping along, Michael!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby MY63 » 15 Apr 2019, 16:01

Not much galloping being done here I even forgot to add the picture of the window.

Image2019-04-15_02-21-08 by my0771, on Flickr
MY63
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Apr 2019, 16:05

Steady progress mate, looking good.

That window looks the business.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 15 Apr 2019, 17:28

Looks like you have plenty of light in there. When painted it will look better still.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby MY63 » 15 Apr 2019, 18:43

Yes Andy it is nice and bright with the doors open I positioned it so it would get natural light during the day I plan to work with the doors open. The far end will be in shade most of the time where I will store my leather which is light sensitive.

I am starting to think about my working areas inside my plan is to have two side benches around 600mm to 800mm wide and across the back wall 1m deep and full width for marking and cutting larger pieces.

I have two pieces of 22mm OSB from the roof that will make up this large bench I would very much like to have this open up like tower bridge and allow an industrial sewing machine to be fitted in below. I have seen a video in which Peter Parfitt made a similar type of device at 0.54 seconds

[youtube]https://youtu.be/LD9HKPAL1ZU[/youtube]
[youtube]v=LD9HKPAL1ZU[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD9HKPAL1ZU
I hope one of these links work.

This one should ;) [youtube]LD9HKPAL1ZU[/youtube]

For the work benches themselves I am better to have independent legs all around or should I fix a beam along the wall joists and legs on the inside only I have four 1.8m posts 100mm x 100mm and two 2.4m 100mm x 100mm so I don't think I will be short of legs :)
Last edited by Andyp on 15 Apr 2019, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit to display video
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Doug » 15 Apr 2019, 18:55

He certainly got excited about the parf dog :lol: :lol:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 15 Apr 2019, 19:54

Doug wrote:He certainly got excited about the parf dog :lol: :lol:

You mean his Parf dog or am I mistaken in the thought that he is the designer. :)

Thanks for the help with the lin Andy
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Doug » 15 Apr 2019, 20:28

MY63 wrote:
Doug wrote:He certainly got excited about the parf dog :lol: :lol:

You mean his Parf dog or am I mistaken in the thought that he is the designer. :)

Yep I believe he did
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 16 Apr 2019, 15:17

I have ordered the EDPM for the roof this afternoon they recommend the thinner of the two products and only one glue the water based deck glue. As it is a smaller building it does not need to be any heavier unless there are over hanging trees that may drop a branch. So it will be here tomorrow he did say not to install it if there was likely to be an overnight frost.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Apr 2019, 18:14

Getting exciting!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds