It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:10

Woodstalker’s garage workshop.

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Woodstalker’s garage workshop.

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Dec 2018, 17:08

woodstalker wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:I had an issue with one of my doors that was not pooling but was the wind blowing the drips backwards from the rip bar under the door. It only occurred with certain direction winds, other times the rain dripped off and down the slope of the threshold.

Hi Malc,

How did you fix it?

Woodstalker

Hi Woody,

I haven't yet. The other doors 90 degrees different don't get so much wind in that direction and after I sealed the whole door frame, threshold etc and angled the threshold down like you get on commercially bought door frames, that one hasn't blown under.

The other one, I've yet to fully seal all around the door and frame, but some winds blow it under, so I would say a drip bar with a good size groove so the normal drips get heavy and fall onto the angle threshold. Then I've got to find a seal for the bottom of the door, some sort of rubber insert, if I want to maintain the level of the threshold and stop the drips that get blown in.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Robert » 17 Dec 2018, 17:24

Back when I had a factory there was a roller shutter door that closed onto flat concrete. When it rained the rain would run down it and soak inside under it. We stuck some EPDM closed cell foam gasket to the underside of the shutter edge. It kept most of the water outside. What still came in wasn't enough to worry about.

your suggestions..
1 Grinding concrete is no fun and will look crude even if you could. Guess you could grind some drainage grooves if the floor puddles at the shutter
2 if your rubber floor is closed cell maybe cut it up to the shutter base and silicone it down so it makes a water barrier. Could test the idea with offcut strips first.
3 if water is running down the door the strip would be better inside the door as on the outside it guide the water in and under.

Good luck.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby woodstalker » 21 Dec 2018, 22:33

I found a rubber strip that is glued to the slab and lines up with the door. I went the entire width of the wall with the garage door opening tucking it under the DPC the wall is sat on so water flows back out under the wall if it gets in.
Attachments
IMG_8781.JPG
(283.13 KiB)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 04 Jan 2019, 21:40

Ended up buying these floor matts designed for the gym:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E0MF2RU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12mm thick rubber matts, i cut them to fit and they look and feel pretty good I think:

IMG_8844.JPG
(301.37 KiB)

Was supervised throughout the fitting process although my supervisor was a little distracted by the Christmas Movies available on demand!

IMG_8845.JPG
(409.75 KiB)

Just waiting for the BCO to sign it off now.

Managed to purchase a Workshop Extractor from eBay today too so pretty happy with that. I just need to keep Mrs Woodstalker from filling it with her stuff now, it has a door from the house so it is way too easy for her to find her way in. :D
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby jules70 » 04 Jan 2019, 23:49

Very nice. Put a lock on it !!
jules70
Seedling

Name:

Postby Rod » 05 Jan 2019, 11:19

Looks good but you seem to have new resident