It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:00

Steve's New Basement Workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Steve's New Basement Workshop

Postby Rezi » 09 Dec 2018, 19:37

Hi All,

I'm new to this site but I recognise some of you from the UKworkshop site.

I've recently moved to Hungary and our house renovations have almost reached completion which means that soon we will be able to move out of the basement which means that the basement can become my new workshop. :D

Some info about the basement -
The back and sides are underground as the house is built on a slope so there is limited natural light inside towards the back. I have tried to alleviate this a little by putting in new, bigger windows and replacing the door with a fully glazed unit.
I wouldn't dare modify/take away any of the walls due to the sloping ground and the sandy soil.
External insulation has been fitted to all external walls (just concrete and brick previously) and the glass is triple glazing.
There are currently no radiators installed but the pipework has been extended from the new boiler in advance.
The basement will be rewired as part of this.
My wife wants a dust free, cool (unheated) storage place for produce from the garden and somewhere for the household stuff (suitcases, xmas tree etc).

I'm relatively new to woodworking, having recently retired, but I have a lot of tools and machinery ( :eusa-shifty: ). The machinery I acquired somewhat by accident when I was buying a lathe from a guy on Ebay who needed to vacate a unit he was renting and I ended up taking everything he didn't want. 10 years previously he had bought the top model of just about every item in the Record Power catalogue and then hardly used any of it, which was nice!

So, this is a blank canvas and I would like some suggestions about how best to use the space ie. position my machinery and allocate work areas, set up the dust collection system, that sort of thing. This is not a commercial set up so I'm not overly concerned about production line efficiency, just a logical and common sense approach.
The equipment I have is as follows -
Large woodworking lathe, small workbench (62cmx150cm), dust extractor, air filter, mitre saw, floor standing band saw, floor standing morticer, floor standing drill press, sharpening area, sanding machine, 10" p/t, 10" table saw plus all the usual hand tools, clamps and a lot of turning blanks.

I have cobbled together a sketchup drawing which is accurate but, I'm some what of a novice with it. I've put letters for the different areas to make referencing them easier and the only internal doors are on areas A and D.

Fire away with questions on anything I haven't been clear about, thanks.

Steve
Attachments
Basement.png
(46.54 KiB)
Basement 1.png
(84.78 KiB)
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Re: Steve's New Basement Workshop

Postby Coolhands » 09 Dec 2018, 20:09

I don’t know about machines but get some LED light panels to alleviate the gloom, they’re pretty cheap at £19 each

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48W-Ceiling- ... 0921892859
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Dec 2018, 21:10

Coolhands wrote:I don’t know about machines but get some LED light panels to alleviate the gloom, they’re pretty cheap at £19 each

:text-+1:

I cannot recommend them enough!

How about having the dust collection system separate to all the work areas?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 09 Dec 2018, 21:23

First thing that comes to mind is when to put planer and table saw so you can run long lengths through.

My guess would be that the thin walls are not going to be load bearing (but DO CHECK) and so removing some of these could make F, E & D a good area for breaking down stock and planing to required sections that comes in through the entrance in E.

If the wall between A & B could come down then C makes a good timber and sheet goods store.
Part of B could be kept as a dust free finishing room if you anticipate doing much of this type of work. A positive pressure in that room will help too.

hth
Bob

PS once you have uploaded pictures, use the "place inline" button to get rid of the borders and dotted lines.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Deejay » 10 Dec 2018, 08:55

Malc2098 wrote:
Coolhands wrote:I don’t know about machines but get some LED light panels to alleviate the gloom, they’re pretty cheap at £19 each

Sorry for the hijack but do they need separate drivers?

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby Rezi » 10 Dec 2018, 10:22

9fingers wrote:My guess would be that the thin walls are not going to be load bearing (but DO CHECK) and so removing some of these could make F, E & D a good area for breaking down stock and planing to required sections that comes in through the entrance in E.

If the wall between A & B could come down then C makes a good timber and sheet goods store.
Part of B could be kept as a dust free finishing room if you anticipate doing much of this type of work. A positive pressure in that room will help too.

Bob, during the process of renovating the house upstairs we stripped the floor back to bare concrete and there were a few long thin cracks exposed. Our builder advised us that they could be caused by insufficient rebar and strongly advised that we don't remove any of the walls in the basement. I'm not a builder so, in no position to argue one way or the other.

Thanks for the link to the LEDs, that is definitely something I will be using.

Steve
Rezi
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 10 Dec 2018, 10:39

Rezi wrote:
Bob, during the process of renovating the house upstairs we stripped the floor back to bare concrete and there were a few long thin cracks exposed. Our builder advised us that they could be caused by insufficient rebar and strongly advised that we don't remove any of the walls in the basement. I'm not a builder so, in no position to argue one way or the other.

Steve

OK. best to heed that advice :lol: The other method of handling long lengths of timber is to make some small ish holes in the walls to allow the outfeed to poke through. you might even fit an adjustable height roller in the hole to support the job.
A popular way of breaking down sheet materials is to use a track saw with a sacrificial sheet of foam insulation or cheap ply under.

You might be able to fit a lintel in the wall opposite the area C so a doorway could go there without compromise to the structure and allow C to be a timber store. Otherwise I can't see how to make good use of the narrow space unless it is for SWMBO's veg store?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Dec 2018, 11:49

Deejay wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:

Sorry for the hijack but do they need separate drivers?

Cheers

Dave

Deej,

Yes, but they are quite small and light and can be hidden just resting on the panel if your sparks will let you. I screwed mine to the ceiling sheathing and hung the panels off hooks.

There's quite a bit about them on Trim's and my 'shop builds.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rezi » 10 Dec 2018, 12:13

Bob,

I have the advantage of a large terrace in front of the door which is full width and about 3m deep so, I think, any breakdown of large pieces can be done outside. I also have a wheeled dolly for the table saw to make it easier to move about.

I think area B will end up being my wife's storage area as C is too narrow to put shelves in and leave enough space to walk through.

Steve
Rezi
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 10 Dec 2018, 12:29

Rezi wrote:Bob,

I have the advantage of a large terrace in front of the door which is full width and about 3m deep so, I think, any breakdown of large pieces can be done outside. I also have a wheeled dolly for the table saw to make it easier to move about.

I think area B will end up being my wife's storage area as C is too narrow to put shelves in and leave enough space to walk through.

Steve

Ah yes I now see that is on the plan but I had overlooked in my enthusiasm to solve the "wonderful area shame about the partitions" puzzle :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 10 Dec 2018, 14:36

Only use I can see for that narrow space is for a wine cellar. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rezi » 10 Dec 2018, 22:06

Andyp wrote:Only use I can see for that narrow space is for a wine cellar. :)

I like that idea but I never seem to have any left.
Rezi
New Shoots

Return to Workshop Builds