It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:19

Help with flat roof (EPDM) edge trim

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Help with flat roof (EPDM) edge trim

Postby macleod92 » 30 Mar 2019, 15:32

HI,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with edge detail for a flat roof shed?
I've decided that I quite like the idea of going with EPDM but by the time I add all the trims the cost is around £400 for the roof covering. I want to do it properly but that is definitely more money than I was planning on spending.
I've looked the shed kits from Rubber4Roofs and seen that I could get the cover and adhesive for around £180 which is something I can stretch to. My question is if I could get away with using the shed kit and attaching some wooden trim in place of the kerb trim that they provide?
I asked Rubber4Roofs directly and they said “said there won't actually be a problem with going for the wooden trims I would just always recommend the plastic sure edge trims”.
Does this mean that I can just put some bits of wood and I'll be fine?

I've provided some screenshots to hopefully illustrate the options that I'm trying to work out. For reference I was going to make fascia boards out of WBP plywood and they’ll be 300mm wide.

If you can help me get my head around the options that would be great.

Thanks!

SHED SIDE.JPG
(61.05 KiB)

Kerb Trim.JPG
'Proper' edge trim
(49.35 KiB)

Timber edge trim.JPG
Wooden trim
(48.25 KiB)

SHED.JPG
(89.83 KiB)
macleod92
Seedling

Name:

Re: Help with flat roof (EPDM) edge trim

Postby Mike G » 31 Mar 2019, 09:25

Don't bother with the plastic edge trim. So long as the edge of the EPDM finishes behind something, and well up above where the lowest point where water will drip off, then you're fine without the plastic. I used a short length of their trim and regret it, as it has bowed in the sun, and is nothing more than a glorified silt-trap anyway.

If I were you I would dress the EPDM up and over your kerb trim, down over a narrow fascia board, and up behind the bottom/ back edge of that fascia. You have to design your fascia to suit.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby tabs » 01 Apr 2019, 10:40

I used wooden trim, level with roof but did dbuy a gutter trim .
tabs
New Shoots

Name: Tez

Postby Coolhands » 23 Apr 2019, 19:00

After similar considerations to you, I folded my epdm over the flat roof and used a batten on the underside to secure it, see pics hopefully. If you do this way you need to plan for the joists to be set back a bit from the edge of the roof by couple of inches to enable the epdm to be coming back on itself under the flat roofing structure (ie the osb) and therefore pinched in position by the batten.

Saved money on all those upstands and everything. Just need to trim off the bit hanging below the batten, if I can be bothered.

F997CDD8-E876-4FF4-8FF7-9CCD8DD75B92.jpeg
(307.44 KiB)

2ABD02A7-53C8-43FD-A77E-9CECBD436918.jpeg
(537.47 KiB)
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby tabs » 27 Apr 2019, 00:44

That looks like it will do the job, However I had a warm roof so needed the upstand .
tabs
New Shoots

Name: Tez

Return to Workshop Builds