It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:57

James' Workshop build

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

James' Workshop build

Postby James1234 » 29 May 2019, 19:00

Hi everyone. Going to start off my workshop build thread here. At the moment its still just a design (that keeps evolving!) but I'm collecting materials steadily and hoping to at least get it started this summer.

Our garden is long and thin. About 25mx4.5m. So to keep under 30sqm internal floor area I plan to have a concrete slab of 9mx3.6m at the very end of the garden. That should give me a little bit of working space around each of the three boundary elevations, which to me seems easier than dealing with building up elevations that can never be reached again or lifting fencepanels etc.

Couple of notes:
- I've got planning permission (only needed so I could have a slighlty higher internal height than permitted would allow)
- I plan to clad in non-combustible, use mineralwool insulation & slate roof - all to satisfy the 15-30 sqm building control non combustible part of things.

This is the site plan:
01 site plan.PNG
(36.98 KiB)

So because its long and narrow, I plan to build based on the original Mikes way design of a single plinth of bricks (i.e. without the blockwork inner). This is because 3 of the elevations wont be visible, so the aesthetics of the cladding lining up dont matter to me as much as the extra width internally. the eaves are 2.3m , ridge height 3.7m.

It will almost certainly change a bit, but here is how its looking right now:
04 design overview as of now.PNG
(108.18 KiB)

There will be a garage roller shutter drops down infront of the doors. I already have the roller shutter, 2nd hand off ebay. The doors I'm going to have made to fit by a local company once the building is finished.

My first major question is about the concrete slab. (This is the only bit of the build that I rather not do myself, but getting someone to quote to do it for me is much easier said than done!). Based on previous build threads and looking at nearly half the internet I settled on this as adequate for a workshop, but the gremlins always creep in and make me wonder if it needs to be bigger, thicker, stronger!, then the next day I think - nah its more than fine. This design is for 150mm thick slab, thickened to 250mm at the perimeter with mesh throughout and adds up to about 5.8m3 of concrete. So what do people think of that?.
03 slab section.PNG
(106.64 KiB)
Last edited by James1234 on 30 May 2019, 07:48, edited 2 times in total.
James1234
Seedling

Name:

Re: James' Workshop build

Postby MY63 » 29 May 2019, 20:16

Looks good to me :D I found the building easier than trying to draw it on the computer
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Mike G » 29 May 2019, 20:54

The slab design is fine. The overall design looks great as well.

How wide is your plot?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 May 2019, 21:27

Can't wait!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 29 May 2019, 21:30

Mike G wrote:The slab design is fine. The overall design looks great as well.

How wide is your plot?

Certainly want to make it as wide as possible. Mine was constrained by a mature tree to 3m wide internally.
The tree has since died and I wish I had even an extra metre inside.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby James1234 » 29 May 2019, 21:47

How wide is your plot?

It’s 4.4m between the fence posts, so a little more at the panels. So 3.6m wide slab should leave me with a slim space to be able to fit down each side to fit the cladding, do any maintenance etc.
James1234
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 29 May 2019, 22:06

James1234 wrote:

How wide is your plot?

It’s 4.4m between the fence posts, so a little more at the panels. So 3.6m wide slab should leave me with a slim space to be able to fit down each side to fit the cladding, do any maintenance etc.

I *think* that if you are building within 1m of the boundary, the walls needs a degree of fire resistance.
I built mine to the previous set of regs around 2005.

Worth a check
Bob

PS have a look in the forum drop box (link on top right of every page) at the Permitted development guide
There is a flowchart in there about the requirements of the building regs.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby James1234 » 29 May 2019, 22:19

Yes. I’ll have to use a non combustible cladding for sure. At the moment Im thinking it will be Cedral. But there’s also flame retardant treatments or wood cladding that are rated for class b. Cedral is class a, which is the best rating, but class b counts as non combustible also, as far as I can tell. I’ve thought about cladding in slate too, which I think I would like the look of, but would be a lot of work to do/figure out.
James1234
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 29 May 2019, 22:54

If you've got planning permission, surely the external finish has been specified?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby James1234 » 30 May 2019, 07:50

It has. But you can always do a non material amendment.
James1234
Seedling

Name:

Postby bluebirdnick » 06 Jun 2019, 16:28

Looks great.

As regards the cladding - presumably three of the sides will not be visible to you from the garden or house? I have no idea what Cedral costs but it looks very nice and presumably comes pre-painted which will save you quite a bit of time vs painting timber boards, but I used metal cladding on my non-visible wall because it was super cheap and incredibly fast to put up, and obviously non-combustible. It won't look as good as FE boards, but of course if you cannot see it, it is not really an issue. Sorting out the insect mesh is a bit fiddly, but even with that it was a heck of a lot faster to put up the metal clad than all the others!

Similarly, presumably the plinth is only visible from one side? If so, then it will surely be far easier to use concrete blocks rather than bricks for the 3 unseen sides? I hated doing the brickwork for mine: I was rubbish at it, it looked terrible and took forever. But I did the unseen wall in lightweight blocks and it took a fraction of the time that the brick walls took.

You may want to take your time and do a better job than I did, but thought I'd mention the points above as anything to save time (especially on the miserable brickwork) was a big help for me as I had a week to make a useable building.
bluebirdnick
New Shoots

Name:

Postby podengo » 15 Jun 2019, 14:27

You could use rendaboard on the non seen sides.

Class 0 cement board -its mede for rendering, but it could just be painted maybe.
podengo
Seedling

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds