It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:30

Garage insulation question

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Garage insulation question

Postby FatboyUK » 04 Oct 2019, 12:41

I've been asked to convert the rear half of a garage into an office come man cave for a friend of mine; due to the arrival of their first child in March he's being relegated to the garage!; its not attached to the house in any way but it is one of a pair of semi detached garages, the other owned by a neighbour. Its approx 10 years old and he's in a permitted development area but am I right in thinking he will be exempt from building regs due to the limited size of the garage?; he won't be losing the up and over door but there will be a stud wall approx halfway in, the office will use the rear half glazed door. Size of office is approx 2.7 x 2.4 so a smallish area. Heating will be via an oil filled rad although I have suggested a wall mouted convector but wall space will be minimal once he's moved desks, filing cabinets etc

I'll need to insulate the walls but its not really my field of expertise, are 50mm battens with Kingspan insulation in between enough or should I use an insulated board as well? Ceiling with 150mm insulation and I thought a floating floor on 100mm kingspan with a membrane under the kingspan. Mechanical ventilation instead of a window?

Our local council is being somewhat less than helpful and want to see drawings befor they comment or give any advice as to insulation, damp measures etc

Any views or advice would be welcome
FatboyUK
Seedling

Name:

Re: Garage insulation question

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Oct 2019, 13:34

Mike G will have a better view but my understanding is that if you're not making structural changes to the building, which internal timber walls wouldn't be, then why would you need to contact the council at all? It's their property, they're not making any external changes by the sound of it, so I don't think anyone else would have any interest (unless you made them aware)...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 04 Oct 2019, 14:10

This really isn't my field, I'm afraid.

It may need Planning Permission because it is change of use of a building. In terms of Building Regs, it will require the electrics to be certified. It may well require BR approval because it is creating a habitable room with a heating requirement, but it may be exempt because of its size. I dunno. I would certainly ask building control. This needs two separate calls to the council as far as I can see....one to Planning, and one to Building Control. Planning can give you an opinion from a very simple sketch plan, showing the house, the garage, and the neighbour's house.

The council won't give any advice on insulation, building details etc. If it requires Building Control, they'll simply judge what you do.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby FatboyUK » 04 Oct 2019, 16:21

Thanks Mike, I'll try building control again
FatboyUK
Seedling

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds