It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:18

Garage workshop retro-fit

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Garage workshop retro-fit

Postby TheHammer » 03 Sep 2020, 12:28

Good afternoon

I’m currently in the process of Installing a warm roof build up on my garage. Roof will be finished with EPDM. Previously roof was asbestos sheets and extremely damp inside. Not ideal for workshop use.

My concern now is whether or not to install air vents (air bricks or garage door vents) to allow some air flow through the garage? The garage is single brick and has a damp proof course. I initially wanted to heat the inside when I was out working in it but I’m concerned that may cause more problems than good with condensation most likely being created on the walls.

My other option would be sealing the garage, I’ve looked into tanking the walls and sealing the garage door with bottom seal etc but just not sure what sort of conditions this will create.

Would just like garage to be dry for woodwork and if I could heat it that would be a bonus.

Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheHammer
Seedling

Name:

Re: Garage workshop retro-fit

Postby 9fingers » 03 Sep 2020, 12:58

Does your garage floor have a damproof membrane or just a damproof course in the walls?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TheHammer » 03 Sep 2020, 13:20

Hi Bob

I don’t think the floor has a membrane. It’s just the DPC in the walls I can see.

TheHammer
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 03 Sep 2020, 13:47

TheHammer wrote:Hi Bob

I don’t think the floor has a membrane. It’s just the DPC in the walls I can see.

OK I think that means you will need to either retrofit a DPM in the floor, and then can have minimal all year ventilation with comfort heating if you wish, or leave the concrete floor bare and allow the moisture that will come up from the floor to escape with cross ventilation through the walls and accept that any heating you apply will not be that effective. No DPM also means you should not lay any flooring over the concrete. Whilst the concrete may seem nice and dry at the moment, this is because any moisture is escaping into the air above as the floor can breathe.

A way to test for a dpm is to lay some dry newspaper on part of the floor and cover with say an offcut of ply wood. after few days inspect the newspaper and if it is still dry and crisp, you almost certainly have a dpm. If it is damp and soft then moisture is coming up from the ground below as there is no dpm.

hth

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 03 Sep 2020, 15:09

I'm not putting this out as an example of best practice but it has worked out OK for me so far...

My workshop is a single skin brick garage. there is a dampcourse in the wall and a cracked concrete floor with no DPC. I added a screed to level the floor and cover the cracks. The floor had never looked wet despite the cracks but I covered the dried screed with DPC poly sheet before laying 22mm flooring chipboard. The walls I also poly sheeted then fitted vertical 2x1 battens. I had some 1" polystyrene sheeting so I used it between the battens. finally i covered the walls with 9mm plywood and painted the walls white.

That was a few years ago and its all still dry.

I'm sure you'll get some advice to do it properly :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rod » 04 Sep 2020, 11:05

How about this:

Chalk sheds!
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds