It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:02

Shed and log store

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Shed and log store

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Nov 2020, 00:48

Hi all

I am in the process of building a small shed next to the workshop to take all the gardening stuff, patio seat cushions etc that I don’t want clogging up the workshop and hindering progress in there (as they are right now).

I’ve laid a 6x6ft slab and laid out bricks up to 3 courses to do a Mike style brick plinth based wooden shed, then a couple of small footings for brick piers to form the sides of a log store.

My thought was to give the shed an apex slate roof at the same angles and orientation as the main workshop roof, with the door as per the gap in the bricks. Then build a couple of brick piers up to about 20 courses with a pent slate roof tying into the side wall of the shed.

I was moving all the bricks today and with nothing more to think about, various things crossed my mind.

Do I need double brick thickness piers?

Is there a brick bond that has gaps in it that would allow airflow?

Could I get away with single brick skin piers with a return at the front?

So, Mike (and anyone else), any advice on which way to go?

Cheers
Mark ImageImage
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Shed and log store

Postby Doug » 02 Nov 2020, 08:13

Seems a bit overkill for what is a very small shed Mark, personally it would be a wooden construction if it were mine, made in sections in the workshop & just fixed to a brick plinth.
Why work outside when you can work in a nice warm workshop?
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Shed and log store

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Nov 2020, 09:04

Hi Doug

It’s going to be wooden, I thought I said that, I’m just doing three courses at the bottom then wooden construction as you suggest.

It was more the construction of the brick piers for the log store I was concerned with.

I might not have explained very well what I’m doing, I’ll do a sketch after the school run to hopefully demonstrate better than I have explained.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Doug » 02 Nov 2020, 09:29

Sorry my bad Mark,
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 02 Nov 2020, 12:42

I think some mortar between the bricks would be a good start :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Nov 2020, 12:43

RogerS wrote:I think some mortar between the bricks would be a good start :lol:

I thought they were a bit wobbly...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby greeno » 02 Nov 2020, 14:01

What you're really getting at is will the log pile push the brick pillars / sides out?

I built something similar on the end of my shed. My log store is about 1 x 1 x 2m (high) with same again next to it for garden junk. Single skin (no return), 3 courses then 2x4 frame with timber cladding.

No movement in 2 years.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Nov 2020, 14:02

Partly that mate, is it strong enough but also how to lay the bricks so there are holes in the sidewall and centre pillar to enable airflow.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 02 Nov 2020, 14:04

You could use a modified stretcher bond with whole bricks spaced by a gap of 1/3 brick to give approx 25% air gaps whilst maintaining good load bearing.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby AJB Temple » 02 Nov 2020, 14:35

Before you go any further, at least double the size of the shed! :D
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Nov 2020, 14:43

AJB Temple wrote:Before you go any further, at least double the size of the shed! :D

Haha, I’d love to but there isn’t the space and I don’t need tons of space. I’ll fit the two big shelving unit’s that are in the workshop in that space and it will buy me a lot of free real estate back in the workshop.

I’ve also got another smaller tin shed hidden away that less important stuff can go in, so it’ll be big enough...he says...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 02 Nov 2020, 15:51

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this purpose made for the job ?

airbrick.png
(1.49 MiB)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby StevieB » 02 Nov 2020, 15:57

+1 for the ready made air bricks, but is this log store going to have doors or an open front? If an open front then is airflow from the sides necessary at all?
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Nov 2020, 15:59

AJB Temple wrote:Before you go any further, at least double the size of the shed! :D

And the log store, but then I suspect you are burning logs for effect rather than actually heating anything.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 02 Nov 2020, 16:01

StevieB wrote:+1 for the ready made air bricks, but is this log store going to have doors or an open front? If an open front then is airflow from the sides necessary at all?

Depends how dry the logs are before they go in there. If they are fresh cut then ventilation on 5 sides is ideal, ie off the ground too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Nov 2020, 16:17

RogerS wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this purpose made for the job ?

airbrick.png

Yep good idea. I just thought about it looking architecturally pretty with some creative brickwork.

I’ll keep air bricks in mind if we can’t come up with a nicer looking solution.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Nov 2020, 16:18

Andyp wrote:

And the log store, but then I suspect you are burning logs for effect rather than actually heating anything.

No we do use them to heat the lounge in the colder months. The UFH is on low but for those days when it’s really cold the stove goes on.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 02 Nov 2020, 17:46

TrimTheKing wrote:
Andyp wrote:

No we do use them to heat the lounge in the colder months. The UFH is on low but for those days when it’s really cold the stove goes on.

So is your log store big enough to hold say 1/3 more than the size load that you buy and to segregate the left over third and the new batch?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby greeno » 02 Nov 2020, 18:11

TrimTheKing wrote:Partly that mate, is it strong enough but also how to lay the bricks so there are holes in the sidewall and centre pillar to enable airflow.

The depth you're showing is only two bricks deep. You'd be hard pressed to pack logs tight enough to stop some air circulation. I wouldn't worry.

We've two log stores, both storing about 2m3 each, make sure the roof overhang is reasonable enough to stop driving rain wetting the faces of the exposed logs.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Nov 2020, 21:54

I think you've had your answers, Mark. I don't think your log store is going to be big enough, and if it is open-fronted it is going to need a very large roof overhang. The problem with open perps is that water will sit on the myriad little shelves that produces, and will damage the bricks and soften the mortar. Sleeper walls under wooden floors in old houses are built like this, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for a long life where exposed to the weather.

How is it you're building another shed before you've finished the first? ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Nov 2020, 23:14

Mike G wrote:
How is it you're building another shed before you've finished the first? ;)

Oooo-er Mike, wicked it is :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Nov 2020, 23:19

Thanks for all the inputs chaps. I made a start yesterday with my very first ever attempt at laying bricks...

They’re far from perfect but not so bad as to stand out.

All joints pointed up nicely at the end but ran out of mortar for that last brick so I’ll do that in the next session.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Nov 2020, 23:32

Good on yer!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerM » 10 Nov 2020, 11:58

The rule of thumb is to build it twice as big as you think you'll need, and then the finished article will only be half the size you wish you'd built it! DAMHIKT. Looking good so far though!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Nov 2020, 12:13

RogerM wrote:

The rule of thumb is to build it twice as big as you think you'll need, and then the finished article will only be half the size you wish you'd built it! DAMHIKT. Looking good so far though!

I'd love to lads but that is all the space I have available in that area. I do have another small shed that will also be having a plinth built, that is hidden away, so between the two I will be able to store all the infrequently used stuff (decorating gear etc) and gardening stuff. I will also have to be ruthless in clearing out some of it as we have so much duplication it's unreal!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Return to Workshop Builds