It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:29

Sharpening HCM bits

Share everything from your tablesaw sled design to how best to calculate magnetic North using only woodshavings and a blunt carpenters pencil...

Sharpening HCM bits

Postby 9fingers » 02 Mar 2015, 12:03

I know just how emotive sharpening suggestions can be but this method seems to yield good results and should be worth the extra effort especially with easing chip ejection. I'll certainly be trying this next time round.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/video/sharpening-hollow-chisel-mortising-bits.aspx

Bob - Ducking and running just in case... :lol:
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Sharpening HCM bits

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Mar 2015, 12:12

Gotta make it easy to eject yer chips man…! :? :lol:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 02 Mar 2015, 12:22

TrimTheKing wrote:Gotta make it easy to eject yer chips man…! :? :lol:

Cheers
Mark

Yebbut, apart from not giving the auger adequate clearance to spin freely, jamming the chisel with chips is the sure fire way to turn the chisel blue and draw the temper of the steel.
Although I pay a lot of attention to sharpness and correct clearances, I've not thought about giving a treatment to the inside of the chisel bore - I do think polishing the auger spiral is a bit anal however.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Mar 2015, 12:25

Yep agree with that. I think part of the problem with these is the same as any hand plane, chisel etc, that they never (or rarely, but you tend to pay for it…) come absolutely perfectly tuned and ready to perform at their best, and all seem to need some tweaking like this to get them right.

I've sharpened all my augers before using them, and sharpened the inside, but never gave any thought to the polishing the inside. Agree on the flutes, possibly helps but can't imagine it's a massive %.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 02 Mar 2015, 12:29

TrimTheKing wrote:Yep agree with that. I think part of the problem with these is the same as any hand plane, chisel etc, that they never (or rarely, but you tend to pay for it…) come absolutely perfectly tuned and ready to perform at their best, and all seem to need some tweaking like this to get them right.

I've sharpened all my augers before using them, and sharpened the inside, but never gave any thought to the polishing the inside. Agree on the flutes, possibly helps but can't imagine it's a massive %.

Cheers
Mark

:lol: I would not know about hand planes. My Dad's bailey comes in handy for propping the workshop door open but it will be a couple of months before I need that.
Still nice to see the sun recently and starting to not needing to burn any gas for hot water on the good days.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Mar 2015, 12:42

9fingers wrote:Still nice to see the sun recently and starting to not needing to burn any gas for hot water on the good days.
Bob

I Wish!! I had to turn the heating off on Friday as my oil delivery was late and we're close to running dry again (my plan to lift/shift the tank ran out of time so only got a small delivery). House has been freezing all weekend and still waiting for the oil now. They've promised me it today…

To top it off it's baltic here again and we had a snow/hail slurry earlier.

Sun is out not though so hopefully it starts to warm up a little…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Return to Tips & Tutorials