It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:47

Shhhhharpening

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Shhhhharpening

Postby Charlotte » 15 Apr 2015, 20:26

I inherited some chisels. They are basically in good nick save for the fact that they have been poorly stored and were missing large chunks of edge. The grinders at work have wonky wheels from metal bashing heathens sharpening welding rods as scribes. I have never been caught committing such acts of blasphemy. Anyhow, I put them on my belt sander. They now have no chips. They are also far enough from square that some look like skew chisels, with one exception they are not. One has a * handle, the lack of squareness suggests it is the sander platen that is out, although I will accept accusations of lack of skill/practice/eyesight with good grace.

I have access to a wonky belt sander, a kippered bench grinder and an angle grinder, how should I square them up for proper sharpening? The good news is that I've not cooked out their temper. Whether this may have happened previously, I'll find out in time.

Thanks!
Charlotte
Seedling

Name:

Re: Shhhhharpening

Postby Rod » 15 Apr 2015, 20:34

I use a very fine permanent marker and scribe a line using a small Engineers square.
Grind carefully to that by eye.
You can make up a wooden jig to achieve the correct grinding angle.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Charlotte » 15 Apr 2015, 23:07

How frighteningly obvious! Can freehand on stones ok, just didn't fancy grinding back so hard on them. Will acquire a fine marker tomorrow :-)
Charlotte
Seedling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Apr 2015, 07:03

I have never ground a chisel on a wheel not wanting a concave bevel but it is possible my chisels have never been in such a state as to require that amount is steel removed.

I find a simple jig, the eclipse like this
, and various grades of abrasive paper stuck to a thick piece of glass does for me.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Apr 2015, 18:18

Andyp wrote:I have never ground a chisel on a wheel not wanting a concave bevel but it is possible my chisels have never been in such a state as to require that amount is steel removed.

I find a simple jig, the eclipse like this
, and various grades of abrasive paper stuck to a thick piece of glass does for me.

:text-+1:
Keep on checking with a small square that the chisels are gradually becoming better. Sandpaper works well as does wet n'dry, but I use the 3M stuff from Workshop Heaven, starting with 100 micron which will remove steel at an eye watering rate - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery