It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:43

Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2014, 08:51

Whilst I await the arrival of the digger to start excavating for the base, I thought I would post the drawings of the workshop I am about to start building. Some of you may have seen these before, at least 3 years ago. The defining principle is that the workshop (for time reasons) must be buildable within "Permitted Development" (ie not require Planning Permission). and must also not require Building Regulations approval. To be exempt from the latter it must be under 30 sq. m internal floor area. Note that this isn't the only criteria for BR exemption, with proximity to a boundary being another important one, and no-one should assume that copying my building in other locations will automatically mean no PP or BR approval are required.

Since I drew this, the roof pitch has altered to 35 degrees rather than 40 shown, the roof material will be slate (I'll explain later), and there will be no "kick" on the overhangs.

Right, digger is here, so here are the piccies:

Last edited by Mike G on 24 Apr 2017, 16:45, edited 35 times in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's Workshop Build

Postby Robert » 01 Aug 2014, 09:01

Good looking building!

I'm sure we'll all be watching this one with interest.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 01 Aug 2014, 09:14

Robert wrote:Good looking building!
I'm sure we'll all be watching this one with interest.

+1

Interesting to me is that rather than go for a pure rectangle you have chosen to have one end slightly narrower. Aesthetically that will be very pleasing but to me it complicates the building process - for you it will be a breeze of course.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 01 Aug 2014, 09:37

Looks brilliant, I look forward to loads of progress pics.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby 9fingers » 01 Aug 2014, 10:06

Looks very interesting Mike. Like others I'll be following with great interest. The topic might even turn into a worthy rival to Steve's mega topic over on UKW - a coup for TWH2!! :lol:

Slight shame about the lack of roofline kicks. That is one of the feature I like about so many roofs in France.
It suits their small tiles and give an attractive curve. Maybe not so easy with slates?

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 01 Aug 2014, 10:15

9fingers wrote:.....
It suits their small tiles and give an attractive curve. Maybe not so easy with slates?

Cheers

Bob

That touches on one of the things about buildings that fascinates me. Namely, how a countries building products dictates the actual design style and gives rise to the individual country characteristics. Same in this country between different regions...well, at least as far as older properties go. These days they all look pretty much the same to me. Often with those ghastly brown timber framed windows with massive ugly glazing bars.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2014, 10:53

Andyp wrote:Interesting to me is that rather than go for a pure rectangle you have chosen to have one end slightly narrower. Aesthetically that will be very pleasing but to me it complicates the building process - for you it will be a breeze of course.

The building isn't much more complicated, being just 2 rectangles rather than 1, but the aesthetic made it well worth it for me. I don't want a bulky looking building in my garden, and the lowered roofline really helps with reducing the impact.

The slates are going to be big reclaimed ones, off the roof of the cottage (we're replacing them with clay plain tiles). It is very difficult to achieve a change of roof pitch with a big slate, and these are 2 feet long. This is one of the reasons I am not a big fan of slates, because the kick towards the eaves is very important for the look of a roof.

Mike
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2014, 10:54

RogerS wrote:That touches on one of the things about buildings that fascinates me. Namely, how a countries building products dictates the actual design style and gives rise to the individual country characteristics. Same in this country between different regions...well, at least as far as older properties go.

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 01 Aug 2014, 11:01

Nice design, the changes in widths and overhangs add character and avoids the big shed look?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 01 Aug 2014, 12:08

That is going to be a very nice looking building! About 30m2?

Cheers
Phil

MOD EDIT: duplicate post removed.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2014, 13:24

Phil wrote:That is going to be a very nice looking building! About 30m2?

29.996 ;) :D
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2014, 13:26

9fingers wrote:..........The topic might even turn into a worthy rival to Steve's mega topic over on UKW
Over on where? ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Aug 2014, 13:52

Mike G wrote:

Is that internal or external Mike? What does the Reg refer to?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 01 Aug 2014, 14:29

Somewhat perversely, Planners are interested in external dimensions and proximity to a dwelling, Highway etc and % area of your property.
Whereas BCO works on internal floor area apart from proximity to boundary when external counts for spread of fire etc. If the structure is built up to the boundary it must be fire resistant (30mins or is it 1 hour) and the planners limit the height more tightly(?)

Look up permitted development rights. There should either be a section on your council website or a like to what used to be the "office of the deputy PM" in 2-jags days - now called summat else I think.

It has all changed in the last few years with thresholds for planning permission being sort of eased for house extensions but at the same time they sneaked in tightening up on PDR.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2014, 16:26

TrimTheKing wrote:
Mike G wrote:

Is that internal or external Mike? What does the Reg refer to?

Cheers
Mark

This is to keep under the 30 sq. m internal floor area that would trigger interest from the LA Building Control regarding Building Regs. As I said previously, this isn't the only criteria.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2014, 16:28

9fingers wrote:...........It has all changed in the last few years with thresholds for planning permission being sort of eased for house extensions but at the same time they sneaked in tightening up on PDR.

Bob

Well, sort of.......... Except they have given a couple of years with massively increased rights under Permitted Development.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby hc. » 01 Aug 2014, 16:49

Hmm, this is going to be a lovely workshop, I can see you have have thought of air flow with the hatch and the two double door opening, make sure there burgle proof mike, you don't want some little scum bag in there some night helping himself , keep those pics coming.
hc.
Seedling

Name: Martin Mackenzie

Postby 9fingers » 01 Aug 2014, 17:52

I reckon those hatches are more to do with long workpieces on the RAS and P/T.

Good plan Mike!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 01 Aug 2014, 18:14

Phil wrote:
Cgeers
Phil
MOD EDIT: duplicate post removed.

Thanks, I tried fixing the Cgeers .........................

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 01 Aug 2014, 19:03

Phil,

You should be able edit your own posts on TWH2. Along the top right hand side, there is an edit button and that will take you a window very similar to the one you used to write your message. Make the changes that you want to and then hit the submit button and your revised post will be visible.

If you have any problems doing the change, let me know and I'll do it for you.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2014, 19:23

9fingers wrote:I reckon those hatches are more to do with long workpieces on the RAS and P/T.

Good plan Mike!

Bob

Exactly.

Anyone notice that there is space for a table saw alongside the P/T?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 01 Aug 2014, 19:27

I noticed the lack of a TS but could not recall if you were one of the anti TS brigade. I could not work without one.

Certainly plenty of room to man handle sheets through a TS especially if the P/T can be wheeled to one side as well.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2014, 19:37

I'm anti table saws if there is no room to work around them. Here, with plenty of room, it is certainly something i would consider. At the moment I manage everything on the bandsaw, but I am certainly persuadable on a table saw.

My previous workshop was 21.8 sq. m, so this new one will be nearly 40% bigger. No more aiming the PT at the door!

There is a quirk to my roof construction, which I will come to later. This means loads of accessible loft storage, which in addition to all the external sheltered timber storage is going to be such a luxury.

Mike
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 02 Aug 2014, 07:46

9fingers wrote:Phil,

You should be able edit your own posts on TWH2. Along the top right hand side, there is an edit button and that will take you a window very similar to the one you used to write your message. Make the changes that you want to and then hit the submit button and your revised post will be visible.

If you have any problems doing the change, let me know and I'll do it for you.

Bob

Bob, thanks.

I did try to edit as it was busy sending, the line was slow, so gave up. :(

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 03 Aug 2014, 21:00

I'd forgotten how much work a slab of concrete is. However, everything is now in place for concrete tomorrow, with the formwork having yo-yo'd in height whilst I calculated the volume to end up with 6 cubic metres (one load of readymix). Ideally, I would have liked to have the top of the slab about 50mm above ground level, but given the made-up ground in one corner (which forced an extra depth of digging), and the amount of hardcore I had (I augmented that by digging up some of the patio. I am sure no-one will notice), it is only about 25mm above ground level generally, and in one corner I will have to reduce the ground level afterwards. I have dug 5 spare holes in case I have a bit of concrete left over after casting the slab.

The base is approx. 160mm deep, with edges thickened to 200 mostly, with one area over the made-up ground going down to about 300 overall at the edge. I have laid some reinforcing mesh in place, just for peace of mind. Annoyingly, not only does the DPM have two rather large holes in it from manufacturing faults, but I also managed to cut it to the wrong dimension, and ended up wasting rather a lot as I patched up the shortfall. The stuff used to be made of polythene, but judging by the price these days, they've obviously started incorporating some precious metals into the mix.

Anyway, concrete arrives tomorrow, as do my plinth bricks and 50mm blocks: yes, there is more to tell on that front, but it will become obvious when I start posting photos. In the meantime, I am absolutely cream crackered. Digging never used to be such hard work!

Mike
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to Workshop Builds