It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:52

Bedec MSP

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Bedec MSP

Postby Charlotte » 16 Oct 2015, 20:20

Following Mike's suggestion I have bought this paint and applied it to some drawer boxes...

The material is marine ply, possibly iroko based, I'm not one for wearing gloves when using machines but it was needs musts at times. I sanded at 120 grit. As per instructions, I thinned by about 25% for the first coat. Application is by foam mini roller/2" brush. I have now applied 2 more coats, unthinned. I suspect a 3rd coat would bring me to full coverage but I still have grain showing pretty significantly through the paint. I now wonder whether I should have wetted before sanding to raise the grain, or whether I should have used a grain filler/sanding sealer/something else.

I am after a durable, smooth, wipe clean finish. Any ideas how to rectify this without sanding back to bare wood? I just want them finished and move to the next thing!
Charlotte
Seedling

Name:

Re: Bedec MSP

Postby 9fingers » 16 Oct 2015, 20:57

I'd have expected to see a primer/undercoat being used first. These normally have a high build formula which when rubbed down should cover most grain.

Bob

Edit: having looked online I see it claims not to need an undercoat or primer :oops:
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 16 Oct 2015, 21:43

Well, you appear to have used it in exactly the right way, Charlotte. I'm a little surprised that you are having these problems. It sounds like the paint wasn't stirred............but you would obviously have done that, so I don't know what to think. Try another coat and see what happens, maybe, or take a piece of your work back to the paintshop and ask for their input.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Charlotte » 16 Oct 2015, 22:06

According to the blurb Bob, that's not necessary.

I bought it from Toolstation, not sure anyone at my local branch knows their own name let alone anything about what they sell....

I'll lay some more up and see. What are you using to apply and how many coats are you doing Mike? I wonder if I didn't stir enough? I also have a fan heater on, wonder if that might be affecting it? Workshop is dry at least :-)
Charlotte
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Oct 2015, 22:35

We've done one mist coat and two full coats, rubbing down very quickly before the final coat. Admittedly, it has raised the grain of the birch ply a little, but it has given excellent coverage. Really, really excellent coverage. It isn't like water-based gloss paints, which do seem to require quite a build up.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Oct 2015, 08:37

There is a difference between grain filling and grain lifting. Grain filling is most often done in timber such as oak that has quite an open grain which bleeds through IMO regardless of how many coats of finish one would put on eg. shellac/varnish/hard wax oil. Some people like that open grain effect but if it's a perfectly smooth surface that you want then you do need to grain fill.

Here's a photo of an open grain

and after a bit of grain filling

Grain lifting occurs when small fibres swell as a result of water/moisture. Once dry, these can be denibbed with a light sanding. However, this has no effect on any open grain.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Oct 2015, 09:40

Have you got a preferred grain filler Roger - especially when you want to use a clear finish coat?

Cheers
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 17 Oct 2015, 10:57

9fingers wrote:Have you got a preferred grain filler Roger - especially when you want to use a clear finish coat?

Cheers
Bob

I've had good results from Jecofil by Jenkins plus their tech support is very good. Not tried clear.

I didn't have much success with Brummer which tended to pull out of the grain pores.

And mixed results from Rothko and Frost using their thixotropic grain filler plus on the negative side never got any answer to queries.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Finishing