It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:18

Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Bench, woodrack & tour)

Postby Andyp » 01 Feb 2016, 13:45

welcome to the forum Crispylettuce. When you have a mo drop a line into the Welcome board and tell us a little about yourself. What are you planning to do in the workshop?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Replacement window)

Postby Mike G » 23 Mar 2016, 10:18

For some while, the window in my workshop has been a niggle. Not the window itself, but the internal security shutter. The problem is that it comes down too low over my shelf of tools behind my bench, and fouls on them. Thus, my screwdrivers have never been put away properly in their rack, and I have to shut my drill-bit box every time I close the shutter. So I have had a window swap in mind for a while, and decided to actually do something about it a few days ago.

I had selected a suitable replacement window from the house:

I cut the extended cills off flush, and painted the sides:

This is the old one, looking a bit worse-for-wear:

Here is the inside, showing the drill bit lid leaning on the window frame, and my screwdrivers lying down out of the way. I also can't get to the rearmost chisels and punches when the shutter is closed:

Here is the new window in:

It's a small pity that it is narrower than the old one, but the height is much better.

I gained some wall space to hang up the Gents' saw and coping saw, but more importantly, the cut-down shutter now clears my tools with room to spare:

I'll sort the boarding out on the outside when I do boarding on the house in the next few months.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 23 Mar 2016, 12:05

Annoying that its narrower but understand why you've changed it. I do that sort of thing, make a good job of something then have to change it for some reason not too long after. And I never seem to be as happy with the result second time round :eusa-doh:

Any sign of the slates going on the roof?

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby the bear » 23 Mar 2016, 12:07

Just a thought, would it have been easier to shove the window to the other side, then you would have shorter boards to replace, which you might be able to do with offcuts?

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Mar 2016, 12:33

Yes, possibly, but it would have taken my view of the house away, so I wouldn't have been able to see anyone approaching the house or the workshop.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chris Bates » 07 May 2016, 18:11

Hello Mike (or anyone else that would like to comment)

I'm proposing building a shed based on your original drawing (2010 - UK Workshop - Build a shed Mike's way) and have a question.

The 50 x 100 studs used for the frame. Are you using treated / Tanalised timber ?

Thanks

Chris
Chris Bates
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 May 2016, 19:31

Chris Bates wrote:Hello Mike (or anyone else that would like to comment)

I'm proposing building a shed based on your original drawing (2010 - UK Workshop - Build a shed Mike's way) and have a question.

The 50 x 100 studs used for the frame. Are you using treated / Tanalised timber ?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, pressure treated CLS timber, which finished about 45 x 95. It's actually quite difficult to buy un-treated construction grade 4x2s these days. Post your sketches etc and we'll have a look..........we like a good workshop build here. There are two more shed builds in my near-future, too.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 08 May 2016, 17:31

Mike, even though your shop is less than two years old, it's really got that "lived in" look going.

How is the temporary roof holding out?

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (Extension)

Postby Mike G » 11 May 2016, 19:31

It's OK, Kirk, but I need to slate it soon.

-

Whilst nothing much is happening on the house, I took the first steps towards extending the workshop. This is for an outside store area, to help with the clutter in the workshop, and to store the pile of wood that is sitting on the lawn outside (to the detriment of both the wood and the lawn):

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 11 May 2016, 22:01

Clutter in a workshop that size?!
Ready for a concrete slab?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 May 2016, 22:12

Rod wrote:Clutter in a workshop that size?!

I daren't post a photo. It's embarrassing.

Rod wrote:Ready for a concrete slab?

Yep. I like to have a place ready for any concrete I have left over at the end of a big pour, which is happening on Friday.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 May 2016, 18:49

Mike G wrote:

I daren't post a photo. It's embarrassing.........

Here you go. This is why I need a little extension.

Image :oops:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 14 May 2016, 20:17

Disgraceful - more space, more mess!
But I'm not one to talk?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 14 May 2016, 20:24

Mike G wrote:
Mike G wrote:

I daren't post a photo. It's embarrassing.........

Here you go. This is why I need a little extension.

Image :oops:

Thanks Mike, I feel so much better working in my 7' by 11' workshop after seeing this....I have got to the point where I have to pack up the tools after every single operation otherwise I get in my own way!
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 14 May 2016, 20:44

When I'm in woodworking mode, the place is absolutely ship-shape, with everything in its place. Now I'm building again, and working outside, stuff just gets put into the workshop to be safe for the night, and it ends up a tip like this. I hate it!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Hully » 05 Jul 2016, 14:46

Hi Mike

Fantastic WIP!! Its been a huge source of info for me with my plans for my upcoming workshop build.

I was hoping to pick your brains on the insulation in the floor of your workshop. One of the pictures at the start of the thread shows 50mm of Kingspan and I was wondering from your experience if this is enough?

I'd planned on using 100mm of rockwool in the walls and roof and 100mm Celotex on the floor (over the top of a 200mm concrete slab) but I'm now wondering if the 100mm on the floor will be overkill as its not a lived in space.

I'm planning on heating the workshop but only to around 10 degrees to keep it dry and keep the chill out.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 05 Jul 2016, 21:02

Hi Hully, and welcome to the forum.

100mm of Celotex is more than is necessary for a centrally heated house, so is certainly overkill in a workshop. I don't have any insulation in my workshop floor at all. If you are going to do a floating floor, then 50mm is more than adequate.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Hully » 07 Jul 2016, 09:03

Great, thanks Mike. 50mm it is then :-)

I'll hopefully be able to start contributing to the forum with my own thread in a few weeks once the ground works start!

Cheers
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby paulrees1 » 25 Sep 2016, 22:34

Hi Mike,

Thanks for a fantastic thread, which will be used (once I've got the funds together) to build the workshop I dream of!
Anyway in some small part I'm using your design for another purpose, and wanted to check a detail with you...

We've had a knockthrough done from our kitchen into the lean to. Eventually the lean to is going (next summer) but fir now I am putting a temporary wall back in place (where the patio doors are going once the loan to is gone) .

The wall is half built, I just want to double check something with you....

I want the wall to be weather proof, and am planning the following from in to out....
Plasterboard
Vapour barrier
4x2 and 100ml insulation
Tyvek house wrap
Batons
Cladding

Does this sound right?

Thanks a lot, Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
paulrees1
Seedling

Name:

Postby paulrees1 » 26 Sep 2016, 06:28

Here's the construction so far, just sense checking before I go any further....

paulrees1
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Sep 2016, 08:10

Yep, that sounds right (although 100mm of mineral wool isn't enough to comply with Regs these days, but it will do for a temporary wall). Be careful of the detail at the edges........that's where damp (and insects) get in, and where heat gets out.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 26 Sep 2016, 19:32

Mike G wrote:Yep, that sounds right (although 100mm of mineral wool isn't enough to comply with Regs these days, but it will do for a temporary wall).

Out of interest Mike what thickness of mineral wool would regs require? Or is it now so stringent that mineral wool just won't cut it and only something like Celotex will do?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Mike G » 26 Sep 2016, 19:48

It isn't quite as simple as "this thickness complies". Different walls require different U values, and all the elements of the wall contribute to the U value calculation, not just the insulation. Having said all that, you'd probably struggle to get a wall with less than 150mm of mineral wool to comply.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby paulrees1 » 29 Sep 2016, 04:26

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate having a sense check before I plough on.

Paul

paulrees1
Seedling

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 05 Oct 2016, 20:43

Mike - not urgent in any way. And if you have a moment and a moisture meter; may I ask that you measure moisture in your workshop. I'm surprised that mine hovers around the 70% mark. Im wondering if this is unusual or if my building behaves differently for any reason. I have yet to finalise windows and one of the doors so its not a finite assessment but it would be a useful parallel. :D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds