It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:18

Hand tools become electric.....?

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Hand tools become electric.....?

Postby NickS » 01 Feb 2016, 21:12

I find Japanese saws a pleasure to use through their simplicity and ease. I've always thought the design couldn't be improved much.....

So I thought this 'work light for Japanese saws' was somehow wrong/unethical/a gimmick - until I read "made in Japan."

Now I'm beginning to think.... Maybe I'm missing a trick?

Over several weeks of deliberation I've now developed a nagging sense of "Japanese saw light acquisition syndrome"
Comment/treatment recommendations welcome.... :lol:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+work-light-for-japanese-saws+JP1444
NickS
Seedling

Name:

Re: Hand tools become electric.....?

Postby DaveL » 01 Feb 2016, 22:42

That's someone's bright idea of improving the usefulness of a good tool, but I don't think they have ever used one. If it's so dark you need that light then you should not be using the saw anyway.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 02 Feb 2016, 00:15

A fool and their money are soon parted........ :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 02 Feb 2016, 07:49

I notice they have "more than 5 in stock" unsurprisingly :lol: :lol:

Perhaps a better idea would be a mirror that clips on the tip of the saw so you can see the line you're cutting to :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 02 Feb 2016, 09:27

Even better is a good SCMS :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Newbie_Neil » 02 Feb 2016, 14:13

Doug,

Doug wrote:Perhaps a better idea would be a mirror that clips on the tip of the saw so you can see the line you're cutting to :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must have one now. Where can I buy them from? :lol: :lol:

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Andyp » 02 Feb 2016, 14:20

Surely they could be used on other saws too..
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby NickS » 02 Feb 2016, 20:23

Perhaps this will soon be joined by the "Japanese battery powered reciprocating rubber hand/arm attachment"..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Somehow I think even Rutlands may draw the line on that one..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NickS
Seedling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Feb 2016, 20:27

Who do you think posted the one and only review of the product?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby NickS » 02 Feb 2016, 23:44

Andyp wrote:Who do you think posted the one and only review of the product?

I'm tempted to create some better reviews on this one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just as an aside, a note of warning, my dad purchased a gift via Rutlands last year. He bought this on a newly issued card. He then faced a £750 bill to some unknown Russian who'd ringed his debit card details as the next transaction. I think Rutlands were blameless, but ultimately my dad has not used Rutlands again...... I've tried to explain to him the two transactions are likely unrelated and cyber crime takes many random forms. The bank ultimately refunded the money but provided no explanation or evidence they'd investigated the fraud further.

Any experience? The Rutlands sales manager, when my dad called back, told him this was the first and only call he'd had about this and they were obviously concerned enough to investigate it for him but could not see any way his card details could have been compromised. I like Rutlands, it's just a shame that when something like this happens it really compromises ones sense of security in web-based purchasing, particularly for someone of my dad's generation who's not used to it.
NickS
Seedling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Feb 2016, 12:49

NickS wrote:
Andyp wrote:Who do you think posted the one and only review of the product?

I'm tempted to create some better reviews on this one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just as an aside, a note of warning, my dad purchased a gift via Rutlands last year. He bought this on a newly issued card. He then faced a £750 bill to some unknown Russian who'd ringed his debit card details as the next transaction. I think Rutlands were blameless, but ultimately my dad has not used Rutlands again...... I've tried to explain to him the two transactions are likely unrelated and cyber crime takes many random forms. The bank ultimately refunded the money but provided no explanation or evidence they'd investigated the fraud further.

Any experience? The Rutlands sales manager, when my dad called back, told him this was the first and only call he'd had about this and they were obviously concerned enough to investigate it for him but could not see any way his card details could have been compromised. I like Rutlands, it's just a shame that when something like this happens it really compromises ones sense of security in web-based purchasing, particularly for someone of my dad's generation who's not used to it.

On that note, I've had this happen to me 3 times in two years, and they won't tell you much about what happened or by whom, but each time they have confirmed to me that my card had been cloned and it was not cyber crime, so while I understand the fear of online shopping, this can and does happen in person (at shops ,restaurants etc) so I just tend to keep an eye on my banks statements and don't worry too much about it…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 05 Feb 2016, 13:51

Garages fuel receipts are a common source of fraud - IE card details being passed on.
I just use one card for purchases and check the statements carefully but each time I've been a victim of fraud the card companies have always spotted it and contacted me.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Feb 2016, 18:01

Rod wrote:Garages fuel receipts are a common source of fraud - IE card details being passed on.

Rod

I've been done once at a garage some years ago on the M5. Apparently one scam is for a pin hole type camera mounted directly above the card reader, so I when I input my pin I always cover the number pad with my other hand. Other than that, my CC never leaves my sight or is removed when I pay a bill - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 05 Feb 2016, 19:29

SWMBO's John Lewis Partnership card was hit for £850 on a hotel booking site. I'd like to be able to report that JL's anti-fraud system picked it up as being out of the norm (which it was, big time) but I'm afraid that they didn't. SWMBO saw it and worked herself up into a right state as JL's approach was one of being very doubting and not very helpful. I tried telling her that she would be fine but she didn't half fret some thinking that she would have to stump up the money.

I went onto the hotel booking site to see what information they asked for/checked against and the only thing they checked was the CVV security number on the back of the card. Which is supposed to protect the merchant. After a lot of Googling I discovered that some e-tailers and other companies actually store the CVV number when they are not supposed to. So when they get hacked and their database details sucked out, along goes the CVV number. Something that Dildo Harding at TalkTalk seems unaware of.

I then tried to work out what benefit would the fraudster get since paying for, say, a hotel booking with a dodgy card seemed to me very chancy in terms of getting caught. The answer is that the fraudster is in cahoots with someone in the hotel booking site and so they (the fraudster) will cancel the booking and get the refund which is supposed to go back to the card that was used to make the initial transaction. But with the dodgy booking site agent, they will refund it to a different card for the benefit of the fraudster.

She did get a new card and didn't have to pay the money. I'd just like to introduce the fraudster to my SCMS (or maybe Mr Spindle Moulder and a cill block) for the grief and wasted time that they caused my wife (and me).
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Sheik Mabouti » 06 Feb 2016, 13:38

I guess my wife has been very unlucky, she had a cheque book stolen between the bank and home, they tried to cash three cheques for a total of £37,000.

The second was a cloned card that had three debits, one was a payment to Ryanair for £315, I don't think the bank was bothered enough to trace them through the passport details needed to book flights.
Sheik Mabouti
Seedling

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery