It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:51

Which hollowing tool?

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Which hollowing tool?

Postby Andyp » 01 Mar 2016, 09:15

Chaps I want to hollow. Nothing too complicated, nothing very deep. To start with I'd like to do some pot pourri bowls and would like to be able to hollow out the sides a bit and get under the rim, more so than I can manage with the "straight" tools.

I would welcome some opinions as to what tool to start with. Easy to master ( if that is possible ) and the ability to sharpen on the Pro Edge are important factors. Low cost would also help but birthday approaching ;)

advTHANKSance
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Which hollowing tool?

Postby Mike G » 01 Mar 2016, 17:50

Andyp wrote:........advTHANKSance

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby justaskin » 02 Mar 2016, 07:17

Hi Andy
Re your hollowing tool. Have a look at the smaller Simon Hope range. http://www.hopewoodturning.co.uk

Have 3 of his smaller conical cutter tools I prefer them they do a neater job on all size of turnings.

Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby Doug » 02 Mar 2016, 08:31

The Simon Hope, Easy Tool et al are easy to make yourself at a fraction of the cost particularly when compared to Easy Tool.
They work very well.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Mar 2016, 15:12

thanks Doug, I am not sure I would know where to start making things from metal especially the hooked ones for undercutting.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 02 Mar 2016, 15:13

justaskin wrote:Hi Andy
Re your hollowing tool. Have a look at the smaller Simon Hope range. http://www.hopewoodturning.co.uk

Have 3 of his smaller conical cutter tools I prefer them they do a neater job on all size of turnings.

Richard

Thanks Richard,
Is there a real advantage to this type of tool over the multi tip type tools from the likes of Robert Sorby?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 02 Mar 2016, 18:11

Andy the multi tip from Sorby is more like a scraper than a cutting tool, I found it a little course to use.
The other option other than carbide tip is the sheilded cutter like the Hamlet, Rolly Munroe & Sorby I found these were great with wet timber, with dry the cutter used to clog quite a bit.
If you don't fancy making one the Simon Hope range is very good, I have a couple of his early carbide tipped tools & they are very good. He stands at most of the big woodworking shows, if you get the opportunity it's well worth seeing his demonstration.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby justaskin » 03 Mar 2016, 07:30

Andyp wrote:
justaskin wrote:Hi Andy

Richard

Thanks Richard,
Is there a real advantage to this type of tool over the multi tip type tools from the likes of Robert Sorby?

Hi Andy
The Simon breed would be of a great advantage where you live with so much raw timber available. Partially shape & hollow the new wet wood make it easier to season without splitting. As they move during drying you get a interesting arrangements of shapes completely un-customable, these do attract the eye.
justaskin
New Shoots

Postby Andyp » 03 Mar 2016, 09:27

Thanks chaps. Just to be clear is it the 8mm version here that you are referring to?

http://www.hopewoodturning.co.uk/carbide_tools_23.html
How are those tiny cutting discs sharpened.

if I need both straight and hooked that is about £90, nearly twice the price of the Sorby Muti-Tip
http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/woodturni ... owing-tool

What I would like to be able to do achieve something like this.

Nearly all of my works so far has been on dry seasoned wood.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 03 Mar 2016, 17:46

Hi Andy,
These are the tools I've used for hollowing :-

The back one it the Sorby tool you linked to, I bought this about 10 years ago & if I'm honest gets the least use for hollowing though I find it handy for other tasks.
In front of that is a tool I made to hold the Hamlet little brother tip & shield, as I said previously it works great on unseasoned timber, if you look closely the cutter is clogged, I obviously put it back in the rack & reached for a different tool rather than clear it out.
Next up is a Skewchigouge, this is made from 5/8" bar that Barry Iles was kind enough to grind up for me on a visit to his workshop quite a few years ago, I use it for many things as it's a very versatile tool & would be easy to make.
The front three are Simon Hope tools, these get the most use for hollowing they are a pleasure to use, I didn't realise they were as costly as your link shows as I was lucky enough to be introduced to Simon at the time he bought this range out & he did me a deal on the three tools & a handle.
My favourite of the three is the small one which doesn't fit in a handle it just has a foam grip, you can undercut a rim with it so don't necessarily need the cranked tool unless you are hollowing through a narrow opening, so if I was only going for one I'd definitely opt for this one
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby justaskin » 04 Mar 2016, 07:35

Hi Andy
With the exception of the saw bench in Doug reply my photo is the same layout starting with the 8mm with foam comfy handle. I always start hollowing with this. I find boring a hole to start can generate a lot of heat especially with wet wood, the wood does manage to keep the heat for a long time, not good.
Know many will poo hoo this, I have mentioned it to Simon H and others and they say what you do is working "DO IT".
I personally dislike scraper type tools, but needs must.
Hope this helps Andy

Richard
justaskin
New Shoots

Postby Andyp » 04 Mar 2016, 09:08

OK Chaps thanks. One last question....for now anyway :D

The cutting "disks" on the Hope tools look tiny. How are the kept sharp?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 04 Mar 2016, 10:18

I think I have just found the answer to my last question

taken from a review by Paul Loseby in Woodturning Magazine, Feb2013
The cutters are not meant to be sharpened and doing so can make the cuts worse. When you feel that the blade is dull, loosen the Torx holding screw and rotate the cutter by 90° for a completely new edge. Spare cutters cost £15 but you shouldn't need to replace them that often.

I am surprised that this information is not available on his website.

So a follow on question, sorry, and it's a how long is a piece of string question, sorry again.

Have you had to reposition or replace the cutters and if so after how long?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby justaskin » 04 Mar 2016, 16:36

Hi Andy
I have had to put onto a new face twice now in some 3 years. Each time was during hollowing out some case hardened oak I retrieved from a ancient barn, I won't mention what it did to my CTC saw bench blade. Im not going down that route again.

Richard
justaskin
New Shoots

Postby Dalboy » 07 Mar 2016, 23:37

Not been on for a while Andy (Busy writing articles two for a woodworking magazine) I have the crown Revolution set up and find it great I also use the Robert Sorby Hollowmaster so between them I can produce something like you are trying to do.
I also hollowed the main base part of this using them
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Mar 2016, 10:02

Thanks Derek, I was about to send you a note to see if you were OK.

You have given me two more options to consider, which I think is a help :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 08 Mar 2016, 11:45

Like most things the more you have to look at the harder it can be to make a final decision. When i got mine I phoned Mark Sanger and he was very helpful, even though he sells the crown he did go through a couple of others which he had used.

I still have another article to write so may go absent again but that will be a little later on
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Mar 2016, 17:41

Derek, will the crown revolution work equally well in end and side grain hollowing?

On price, especially when delivery here is taken into account, suitability for the project in hand and the fact I can order from Axminster with other stuff, it appears to be the preferred choice at the moment.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 08 Mar 2016, 18:37

Andyp wrote:Derek, will the crown revolution work equally well in end and side grain hollowing?

On price, especially when delivery here is taken into account, suitability for the project in hand and the fact I can order from Axminster with other stuff, it appears to be the preferred choice at the moment.

Yes it will, like most things it takes a little practice to get use to it. And set it up for for minimum cutting until you get use to it
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)