It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:33

3 phase workshop wiring

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Re: 3 phase workshop wiring

Postby Robert » 19 Apr 2016, 09:52

I'm not doubting you Bob it is just something I've never come across. Does it ever happen that a 3 phase motor is run in star on full power at 700V ?

Can't say I've seen that many motor plates but I've never seen 700 odd volts on one.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 19 Apr 2016, 10:09

Robert wrote:I'm not doubting you Bob it is just something I've never come across. Does it ever happen that a 3 phase motor is run in star on full power at 700V ?

Can't say I've seen that many motor plates but I've never seen 700 odd volts on one.

I think there are still some areas in Canada that distribute 3 phase at these sort of voltages - maybe legacy installations but if star delta start were used there, the other voltage marking would have to be 700 x root3.

I've not got any motors here rated at 5hp or more (which is the power threshold when star delta starting is usually needed) so I can't take a photo for you.
Google photos that I've found have not got the resolution to read the plates.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby wallace » 22 Apr 2016, 09:30

Whilst looking through my collection of old junk I realised that some of it seems to be new but really old stock. I got a load of stuff from the daughter of a motor repair guy up in the highlands of Scotland. She was clearing his old stores out after he passed away. I found one of her adverts on ebay 2 years after she had started clearing stuff.
I found this really heavy duty isolator which has never been used

This starter is pretty cool

This single phase starter is a weird one

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking