It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 03:31

Storing water-based paint

Share everything from your tablesaw sled design to how best to calculate magnetic North using only woodshavings and a blunt carpenters pencil...

Storing water-based paint

Postby RogerS » 13 Jun 2016, 19:03

It's a good idea to place one side of a carrier bag on top of the open tin before putting the lid on.

I've found that it doesn't take long for the inside rim of these tins to start to rust which then gets into the paint.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4109
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Mike G » 13 Jun 2016, 19:15

Good tip for steel tins. Also a good tip in the event of losing an O ring on the lid of a water bottle or jerry can. Lots of paint is sold in plastic "tins" these days, so not all water based paint needs this treatment ;).
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3180
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby DaveL » 14 Jun 2016, 09:00

I had the bottom of a steel tin rust though, I was too vigorous stirring the tin to get the separated pigment back into the finish. I caught it just before the contents dribbled down the shelf. Plastic tin are definitely the best for water based finishes.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
User avatar
DaveL
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 824
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
Name: Dave

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2016, 09:01

I've recently had to chuck out about a 1/3rd of a tin (plastic) of emulsion. Probably stored for about 3 years. It had undeniably gone off. It stank to high heaven and was covered in mould. Seal on the lid appeared to be good. I have noticed in the past what appears to be condensation on the inside of plastic tubs. Is this likely and the probable cause of paint going off?
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2016, 09:39

Andyp wrote:I've recently had to chuck out about a 1/3rd of a tin (plastic) of emulsion. Probably stored for about 3 years. It had undeniably gone off. It stank to high heaven and was covered in mould. Seal on the lid appeared to be good. I have noticed in the past what appears to be condensation on the inside of plastic tubs. Is this likely and the probable cause of paint going off?


I think the going off is more likely to do with it being water-based. The condensation you see is indirectly related as it's water that's come out of the paint. Shelf-life of water-based paints is pants. In fact, IMO. water-based paints are pants and of them all Farrow-and-Ball are the skankiest pair you can find!
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4109
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby 9fingers » 14 Jun 2016, 10:10

Apart from traditional emulsion paint for internal use, I've not found water based products, paints, stains or varnishes that behave satisfactorily.
Devil of a job getting them laid off to a decent finish as they dry too quickly, stains go streaky, coloured varnishes don't go on evenly.

I'm afraid the first think I look for on the tin is "high in VOCs"

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2016, 10:24

9fingers wrote:....
I'm afraid the first thing I look for on the tin is "high in VOCs"

Bob


:eusa-clap:
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4109
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2016, 10:37

9fingers wrote:Apart from traditional emulsion paint for internal use, I've not found water based products, paints, stains or varnishes that behave satisfactorily.
Devil of a job getting them laid off to a decent finish as they dry too quickly, stains go streaky, coloured varnishes don't go on evenly.

I'm afraid the first thing I look for on the tin is "high in VOCs"

Bob


I whole heartedly agree. Only ever use emulsion on internal ceilings and walls and only ever buy in UK.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby 9fingers » 14 Jun 2016, 10:42

Andyp wrote:
9fingers wrote:Apart from traditional emulsion paint for internal use, I've not found water based products, paints, stains or varnishes that behave satisfactorily.
Devil of a job getting them laid off to a decent finish as they dry too quickly, stains go streaky, coloured varnishes don't go on evenly.

I'm afraid the first thing I look for on the tin is "high in VOCs"

Bob


I whole heartedly agree. Only ever use emulsion on internal ceilings and walls and only ever buy in UK.


I have another friend in France who also only uses UK emulsion - strange how quality varies even between adjacent countries.

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2016, 12:18

9fingers wrote:
Andyp wrote:
9fingers wrote:Apart from traditional emulsion paint for internal use, I've not found water based products, paints, stains or varnishes that behave satisfactorily.
Devil of a job getting them laid off to a decent finish as they dry too quickly, stains go streaky, coloured varnishes don't go on evenly.

I'm afraid the first thing I look for on the tin is "high in VOCs"

Bob


I whole heartedly agree. Only ever use emulsion on internal ceilings and walls and only ever buy in UK.


I have another friend in France who also only uses UK emulsion - strange how quality varies even between adjacent countries.

Bob


I expect that there is an army of Euro-crats beavering away to put a stop to that, even as I type :eusa-whistle:
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4109
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: The very wet and sodden North
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby 9fingers » 14 Jun 2016, 12:56

Happiness is .......
Image

Taken from a 2.5l tin of PU varnish that arrived this morning

EU VOC limit 400g/l , this product is 396g/l 99% of the maximum. Lovely well behaved stuff going onto my bookcase project.

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Tusses » 14 Jun 2016, 13:32

oh the irony !

I have stuff rotting all around me as I have some old original creosote .. which is now saved for best ! lol

I have some old original Nitromorse .. saved for the same !

none of the "new" products are as good IMHO
Tusses
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: 08 May 2016, 10:48
Location: in the middle of the middle
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2016, 13:36

I can remember my grandad "painting" his front garden fence with the used engine oil from my uncles cars. It was dual purpose. 1) excellent protection.
and 2) it smelt so awful it prevented people from loitering and leaning on the fence.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby 9fingers » 14 Jun 2016, 13:47

Tusses wrote:oh the irony !

I have stuff rotting all around me as I have some old original creosote .. which is now saved for best ! lol

I have some old original Nitromorse .. saved for the same !

none of the "new" products are as good IMHO


You can still buy full strength creosote in UK 25l drums

google for "bird brand creosote"

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2016, 13:54

Gotta love their authentication box to ascertain if you are a professional user or not.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Tusses » 14 Jun 2016, 14:18

I knew you could get it for trade use .. I just expected you would need a trade account or some proof ?

or just type "yes" where it asks you if you are a proffessional user ? :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: 08 May 2016, 10:48
Location: in the middle of the middle
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby 9fingers » 14 Jun 2016, 14:27

They don't give a stuff. As long as they have a record that everyone they sell to is trade they are covered for any audit.

It is the same with cash and carry's and Costco. you can get in with the flimsiest of trade ID. Print a letter heading off in word, get some business cards for a fiver and you are in.
Costco asked me for a bank statement and never followed it up and that was 3 years ago and I've never shown them one.

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Tusses » 14 Jun 2016, 14:42

Ah Costco .. we have an account there .. sometimes we just pop in if passing, for the free food samples and cheap canteen :-) :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: 08 May 2016, 10:48
Location: in the middle of the middle
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby 9fingers » 14 Jun 2016, 15:20

Tusses wrote:Ah Costco .. we have an account there .. sometimes we just pop in if passing, for the free food samples and cheap canteen :-) :lol:


I have taken the wife out to lunch there a few times but she is not always that impressed! The food is fine but it does not seem to count as "taking her out" for some reason. Even when I suggest it is killing two birds with one stone it does not seem to help :lol:
Strange lot women!

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Tusses » 14 Jun 2016, 16:41

:lol:
Tusses
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: 08 May 2016, 10:48
Location: in the middle of the middle
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby DaveL » 14 Jun 2016, 19:41

Tusses wrote:

Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
User avatar
DaveL
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 824
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
Name: Dave

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby wallace » 15 Jun 2016, 16:56

Bob that creosote you mentioned is it the real I am. The stuff I get local doesn't even smell like creosote.
wallace
Sapling
 
Posts: 250
Joined: 17 Aug 2014, 19:12
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jun 2016, 17:09

wallace wrote:Bob that creosote you mentioned is it the real I am. The stuff I get local doesn't even smell like creosote.


Yes it is the mutts nuts. It will blow your head off if you stick your nose in the drum and breathe too hard!
Two versions, one that will go brown relatively quickly and the "black as your hat" type which is just starting to fade on my workshop after 10 years facing the sun.

You need to be careful not to splash it on your skin especially if it is sunny when using it as I got burned.
If there is no wind then it sprays well - use a cheap HVLP as it can make the O ring seals swell but they do go back later. I just kept spraying until it would take no more.

About 50 foot x 9 foot had nearly 40 litres of the stuff. It will not be rotting :lol:

hth

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Tusses » 15 Jun 2016, 19:29

and when using it .. wear clothes that you can burn afterwards ! :lol:
it stinks for months !

awesome stuff though ! :D
Tusses
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: 08 May 2016, 10:48
Location: in the middle of the middle
Name:

Re: Storing water-based paint

Postby Andyp » 15 Jun 2016, 19:54

I wonder what customs (both sides) would think if they spied it in the back of the car. Tempted to try.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Next

Return to Tips & Tutorials

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron